Crashes

Started by Bobbybrown, June 19, 2010, 09:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobbybrown

i have had enough of this, i just lost a whole bunch of my stuff in the last crash, there has got to be something done about this, i lost a whole bunch of stuff it took days to gather in my leather bags, then i pick them up, CRASH, and they are all gone, just like that.

HalfPintPirate

Clearly,
Something. Must. Be. Done.
*drumroll*

The EfU server is really very stable, a more common complaint is "it's been up days, please reset it so we can quest." Crashes are irritating, but the way to avoid them is to not leave valuable stuff on the floor, just in case it does happen. Or you could donate the server a huge sum of money so Howland can shift it into a climate controlled double redundant data centre.

This is the suggestions forum. Unless you've got an actual suggestion to improve server stability, you're just raging at having lost some gear to a crash. Yeah it sucks, but a rant without offering a solution is unproductive.

Bobbybrown

my char Von is basically a pack mule, he can't carry around all of that stuff and move around, he has to drop it in the room, and since the chest in the rooms can't store bags, i have to drop em on the floor

HalfPintPirate

I will make a suggestion then. If your PC has so much stuff he can't move, your best method is to organise a clearout. Sell off anything that people want but takes up space (i.e. potions). Dump any items you don't use and can't easily sell. Von uses a greataxe, great, that means you can trash most other weapons you have. Keep a hammer or something with +1AB vs undead, and a +1 AB vs Shapechager weapon. Sling the rest. Check for anything you don't need. Sure a ring is 0.1 lb but it stacks up A medium aror greatweapon PC with good STR shouldn't easily be encumbered.

Anything you can find regularly in a trashpile probably isn't worth having in your pack to try and sell.  Try to avoid encumbrance as it can get your PC killed if they lose a STR buff and can't run.

Bobbybrown

a lot of that stuff was herbs for herbalism, some merchandise, and my main inventory is packed with healing items and herbal recipes

Thomas_Not_very_wise

I remember the days where crashes occurred every six hours and every major event resulted in a spectacular crash...or a mass death incident.

Bobby, your grief is felt, it has happened to me before. But there is nothing we can do to prevent the crashes, aside from keeping the server clean. Instead of laying out items, have people ask you what wares you have, and they should be specific.

Pure merchant characters don't lay out items for a reason. These crashes hurt those PCs, a lot.

The Ruins of Third Earth

Quote from: Thomas_Not_very_wise;188617I remember the days where crashes occurred every six hours and every major event resulted in a spectacular crash...or a mass death incident.

Totally never happened on EfU.

Thomas_Not_very_wise

Okay, I exaggerated. but the server is far more stable now (Or has that changed?) than it used to be.

Egon the Monkey

Hey Thomas, remember that time we did 3 trogs runs in the UD and every time it crashed before we ended the quest? Those were the days. :P

Thomas_Not_very_wise

ExileStrife

Has the server really been crashing?

UrkoNeedsAStiffDrink

Servers only ever crashed twice in the near 5 months I've been here.

Also, protip: Leaving tons of items on the floor can encourage lag and/or crashing.

Bobbybrown

let me restate what i was saying, my character carries bags of things to keep his inventory uncluttered and be able to carry everything, this makes him encumbered, so i got a room to safely drop my stuff in. I got back and picked up all of my bags, a min. later the server crashed, so why did they disappear, they were in my inventory at the time. If the chests could hold bags i could have avoided this, but they will not.

Relinquish

If you put something on the ground you're taking the risk that a crash could happen.

John Poirot

Quote from: Bobbybrown;188662I got back and picked up all of my bags, a min. later the server crashed, so why did they disappear, they were in my inventory at the time.

The server does not save (your inventory) at the time of its crashing. Your character (and inventory) saves when you log out, when the server is manually reset by a DM, or when the server experiences one of its regular saving cycle (approximately once every 10-15 minutes).

There's nothing that can be done about the server not saving when it crashes, unplanned server malfunctions is what makes a crash a crash.

If you want, every time you pick up all of your equipment, you could log off than log back in to save your character and inventory.