[A sealed letter for Abelle Em?n?ore]

Started by cmenden, February 15, 2023, 11:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmenden

Dear Author of Uncertain Appelation,

I found your work, "A Theory of Fate and Fatidical Manipulation", and while the title interested me immensely, I found the handwriting within nigh unreadable.

I would recommend employing the services of a scribe, one whose handwriting is perfectly legible, so that your work can reach as many eyes as possible.

If you are unable to afford such services, as an alternative I would also accept that we meet and you read your text out loud to me.

Regards,
Estellise Azimi

Dredi

Dear "Estellise"

I do not know exactly how you got yourself a copy of my incomplete manuscript, nor why you think it is appropriate to approach me with your purported illiteracy.

Your comments are noted. I would suggest you seek someone capable of reading the common tongue in order to elaborate for you the on the contents of your misbegotten copy of my works, however if you cannot master reading, I cannot expect you will comprehend it.

(Here, Spelled out in intentionally large, scratchy letters which just oozes unspoken condescending tone)

A b e l l e  E n o r r e

cmenden

[Unable to read the letter, Estellise is unable or unwilling to reply]

Dredi

[Within this package is a carefully rolled selection of papers, diagrams and concepts. This particular copy has been painstakingly transcribed into a more legible handwriting, likely at the expense of some poor scribes time. The accompanying letter simply reads:]

Estellise

I await fair comment.

Abelle.

(https://www.efupw.com/forums/index.php?topic=706446.msg748153)

cmenden

Dear Abelle,

First, I want to thank you for working to make "A Theory of Fate and Fatidical Manipulation" more readable. Your efforts were appreciated.

I shall provide you with fair comment, as requested.

I have read your text and found that it contained intriguing elements. However, I must express disagreements with certain major points.

I strongly believe that the future is not set in stone and can be manipulated. I have come across many examples, Fatespinners such as myself, and others who could manipulate causality, who have been able to drastically change the course of events through their powers. Therefore, I cannot agree with your assertion that the future is inevitable, nor do I see the validity in questioning something that I consider a foregone conclusion.

I will add as a caveat, that Ringfall was singularly inevitable. It is possible that there are other events that will occur that are beyond our abilities to change, but I am confident that they are unfathomably rare occurrences.

Additionally, I'm not certain how someone being incarcerated is a denial of "fate" rather than yet another possibility in the myriad outcomes of a person's life. Numerous individuals have no ability to see the future and thus have no way of affecting it. In the case of a criminal lacking any powers of foresight, prison could easily become, for all intents and purposes, their unavoidable fate.

Finally, I feel your thesis questions at the end fail to paint a picture of what you are trying to say. You post a series of questions when you should be stating your provable point, and then proceeding to prove it.

I look forward to reading your future works, which will hopefully be both easy to read and also have significant clarity this work lacks. I would recommend a focus on scientific proof over romantic conjecture about intertwined fates, the subject of poetry about star-crossed lovers more than research papers on fate and the arcane.

Regards,
Estellise Azimi