Docks Boating System

Started by Kiaring, June 11, 2010, 08:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lolmagics

Has been suggested before actually and may even be in the works already (in some form). I'd personally rather it weren't restricted to vessels, but having them as an option would be cool.

Nihm

A scripted system for using the boat might even be possible.  A deduction of gold to represent paying the crew, buying and preserving food, ropes, sails, habor tolls, and the various other miscellaneous expenses of running a ship would be made, and would increase the further out the destination was.

There'd be a possibility of being boarded and a few sailing checks made for a designated Helmsman.

You could only sail at certain times when the tides and the Mist were favorable, otherwise incur heavy penalties to the sailing check and arrive at the wrong place, or sink.

Slight possibility of sinking and dying, or being washed up somewhere bad?

DollarPhil

I would say that 10k is a bit much considering that patricianship comes with extra legal privileges and access to a free bank. Thus far three PC factions have had docks HQs (Laddermen, Lament Crew and Proverson) and for all it's taken significant time and effort. On the other hand a lot of guildhouses are one man operations where someone grabs that then starts recruiting.

Also, simple is best IMO. Hook it into the current rafting system and have it use the same destinations and encounter tables.

Thomas_Not_very_wise

Agreed with Dollar Above, just with an extra area for storage!

Nightshadow

*revives an old thread for being awesome* This sounds awesome! Any chance whatsoever it could be implimented? I personally think 10k sounds perfect, but, however, one should get a place to store gold, some storage, etc. Perhaps that could just be for the best boat, and you can get cheaper boats that have less storage or features?

PlayaCharacter

Yeah, especially since OP is a DM now.

Crod Mondoon

This does seem quite awesome, and Kiaring being a DM now, solves the DM problem!  Please do this, but make it harder then a guild house, if it truly can go on voyages.

Underbard

As long as it floats.  It doesn't even have to move to serve as an ultra cool guildhouse.

Drakill Tannan

10k is way too much, since it's meant to start a faction. 4-6k sounds fine + mantainment costs.