Blake Colton, Engineer Extraordinaire and amateur artist

Started by zDark Shadowz, December 24, 2017, 04:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zDark Shadowz

Sorry, no screenies on this one until I can find a new viewer to open my .tga files.

Blake Colton was my wizard engineer that I wanted to make weapons and stuff but never got around to it (DM Q&A thread was never replied to on the old forums so assumed they weren't interested at the time, there were a lot of plots going on around then so understandable!)

Blake Colton was a person who became a battle-mage of Cormyr a lot later in life than most people do, so he had some skills he'd acquired doing odd jobs like blacksmithing, tinkering etc etc instead of being just pure wizard. Came to Sanctuary, joined up with the W&W as an Engineer, duelled an ebil druid for Zurello and ended up getting him his first Ring of the Ark so his meta plot could advance.

For the most part, Blake Colton actually won a surprising amount of duels, but perhaps brawls or spontaneous pvp's would be more apt, despite not actually being 'built' for dueling or spell battles, or even drinking absurd amounts of potions or acquiring legendary DM lootz.

He was using his spells under the idea that whoever hits hardest first wins, based on the concept in the forgotten realms book I read "Spellfire" a long time ago, and this lead to PhK hitting druids, clerics, lycanthropes pre-emptively, and actually succeeding! despite them all having saving throws to resist fort and will. In the spell duels in the Stadium, since people weren't allowed to prebuff, his pre-emptive binding and harming tactics of just 'spamming evards' and then magicking his weapon to hit over Vincent for the finisher didn't do much to put on a show, but it was damned efficient and that was still keeping in line with his ideas of what a spell duel is really about.

He. Still. Won.

Played the Great Game and cast invisibility on the ball, so the wins could be secured easily, thanks to Engineer Carl on setting up the event for that one. Had fun hunting a kobold in the moldmire, think I almost got it with Evards' but I was in an awkward position so couldn't follow up! Went venturing through the Machine with a cute wererat and her little companions, got out of multiple tight spots with some absurd monster placements and spawns, talked with a werewolf, then got mauled by the werewolf, and then talked some more with the same werewolf. Found some hidden digsites that had level 1-3 spell scrolls, up to (at least) 381 gold drops, baublium, corpses and random gems aplenty... and a lot of dolls. Broke through doors in the Machine I hadn't explored before, found some really.. weird things, but still feel like I'm missing stuff.

In the end, though, he died when he rushed over to help a newbie to get away from some mage eaters. I'd seen the summoning blast and went and clicked the rope instinctively, and hadn't realised it wasn't just one or two mage eaters but a ridiculous number, 3x lesser and 1 medium. Considering the other two players there couldn't do anything to kill them, and mage eaters teleport.. and the two players I was with were on the other side of a rope that one of them had difficulty climbing over..... I just.. ran to lure them away.. and got run down brutally, getting them far enough away so that those peops would've hopefully lived considering their dead-end position. I wasn't thinking about 'who could afford to die' at the time, and I'm glad I wasn't thinking that way anyway.

Taking the full death on that end after doing all the above ventures, 12k+ XP loss would be losing effectively ALL the skills he'd learned and used during his more notorious travels, I know I'd be playing bitterly for too long, trying to recover, and that's not fun for anyone so I'm just going to accept the death as it happened. I did a lot of PvP, on a character I hadn't expected to be doing ANY PvP with, did awesomely at it, even if most of it was luck, and ended up finding and experiencing some great stories as a result so I can be satisfied with his accomplishments.

Writing up an IG journal via real life was fun too. Some of the pictures were awful but others I surprised myself how good they turned out. (In my opinion) Link is here if you haven't seen it yet. http://www.efupw.com/forums/index.php?topic=684773.0

Remember folks.. eat your nightshade! Harsh lessons that all need to learn. Or just remove magic eaters. Or scale them to level. ...That was an absurd amount to have dumped on a new player for one spell casting...

Final Stats:
Blake Colton (Limit Break)

Current Status: Online [14:46:02]

Neutral Neutral - Human
Wizard (7) - Fighter (1) - Rogue (1)
Current XP [TNL]: 37515 [7485]
Deity: Azuth
Gold: 725
Invalid Account: 28

Max Hit Points: 55
Strength: 14
Dexterity: 12
Constitution: 12
Intelligence: 18
Wisdom: 10
Charisma: 12 - Cause charisma isn't a dump stat

Fortitude Saving Throw: 5
Reflex Saving Throw: 5
Will Saving Throw: 6
Spell Resistance: 0

Factions:
- Watchers_And_Warders // I quit this recently actually //

Animal Empathy: 0
Appraise: 4
Bluff: 2
Concentration: 15
Craft Armor: 4
Craft Trap: 14 - Engineering
Craft Weapon: 14 - Was going to use this as an extension of engineering into siege weapons, animatronic weapons etc.
Disable Trap: 0
Discipline: 6
Heal: 10
Hide: -1
Intimidate: 3
Listen: 0
Lore: 15
Move Silently: -1
Open Lock: 13
Parry: 1
Perform: 1
Persuade: 4
Pick Pocket: 0
Ride: 1
Search: 12
Set Trap: 0
Spellcraft: 16
Spot: 0
Taunt: 1
Tumble: 1
Use Magic Device: 0

Feats:
- Armor Proficiency (heavy) - Putting on a  recently found doomguide halfplate and fighting with it was short-lived but worth it.
- Armor Proficiency (light)
- Armor Proficiency (medium)
- Blind-Fight
- Craft Wand - I only used this feat ONCE, to make a Wand of Shadow Conjuration.. lol.
- Extend Spell
- Greater Spell Focus (Illusion) - Works best with Fox Cunning & Ioun Stones when you're doing PhK
- Horse Menu
- Player Tool 01
- Player Tool 03
- Quick To Master
- Scribe Scroll
- Shield Proficiency
- Sneak Attack (+1d6)
- Spell Focus (Illusion)
- Summon Familiar
- Toughness - Cause I'm a tough mf.
- Weapon Focus (longsword)
- Weapon Proficiency (martial)
- Weapon Proficiency (rogue)
- Weapon Proficiency (simple)
- Weapon Proficiency (wizard)

EFUSS Ranks:
Engineering: 10
Metalworking: 10 - For custom part animatronic weaponmaking..
Mining: 10
Smelting: 10 - For custom part animatronic weaponmaking..
Alchemy: 6
Climbing: 6
Secondary Search: 5
Herbalism: 1
Wilderness Survival: 1

Starmonger

Ironside

AlSee is a solid .tga file viewer and converter.  I want to see screenshots!

zDark Shadowz

Mission Briefing

Aspired Position Found

Examining the Aberrant

Disassembly Line

The Plot Advances

The Blame Game

The Duel I Never Saw

Unbearable Circumstances

Context Is Important

Monsters and their Wars

Maybe I was a Sewer Rat after all...

The Face of Death

Cormyrean Battle-Mage Travel Attire

I made the design in the starting area, had HoT create a duplicate and essentially wore this design clothing this since day 1. Was never anything special.

Overpriced Wand of Versatility

There were a few other screenshots but they relate to plots I left to other players to have on-going, so crossing my fingers they still go through with them.

ratgineer

Had so much fun with you! A shame to see him go, but boy to watch him leave.

Can't wait to see what you do next!

Ironside:  THIS IS BAD COMEDY

RagingPurpleGiant

<elmo>: i have to say for me your glory days have been on EFUR RagingPurpleGiant1

Random_White_Guy

[11:23 PM] Howlando: Feel free LealWG
[11:23 PM] Howlando: I'll give you a high five + fist bump tip

[1:34 AM] BigOrcMan: RwG, a moment on the lips, forever on the hips

Twelve

vhunelar

"In the end, though, he died when he rushed over to help a newbie to get away from some mage eaters. I'd seen the summoning blast and went and clicked the rope instinctively..."

What a brutal way to die, low level casts a bull str to cross a rope bridge and a longtime pc gets ripped to shreds.

And you didn't complain once.  Very cool person.

Love to see what you make next.

[i'm the one who got him killed]
War Song of the Holy Knights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U9lVjZg-Kg