"Divine" flavored loot descriptions.

Started by MrGrendel, March 02, 2011, 10:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrGrendel

In a discussion not too long ago, some interesting points regarding "consecrated" loot drops, ie "Amulet of Lathander," etc, came up. The issue was originally about some DMs frowning on clerics that use items "of" another deity, and the discussion moved to the loot selection.

Quote from: putrid_plum;220057That said, I do wish there were more holy symbols and such for other gods.

Quote from: Letsplayforfun;220216On a side note, I duly noted more items of standard deities faith could solve part of the issue discussed here.

Quote from: Coldburn;220223I actually think less items connect to a God would solve the issue here. When you add more Deity-related items to a random loot table the chance only diminishes you get it. Do away with it altogether, in my opinion, and reward Clerics who do things right with a flavored item instead.

I agree with the thoughts behind all these comments; there are at the moment a bit over 120 different deities in EfU one can worship, I think? If we have a cool amulet to deity #109 in a quest, that is great and adds more flavor than "Generic Amulet +1" but the chances are most parties won't even have someone in the group that worships that deity - and maybe not even know anyone who does.

SO... to get to the point:

1. Reserve "Amulet of Deity X" for rewarding specific characters of those deities.

2. Use domains as the theme instead.

If the god in question has the domains of trickery and evil you could just state there are symbols of trickery and evil on the item.

Or you could describe images of evil trickery: vile abominations ambushing people, fanged trickster masks, little stick-figures stabbing each other in the back etched onto the item. Or if the god has the fire and suffering domain, flame symbols, people on fire, pets on fire, er... lots more stuff on fire, preferrably sentient... and so on. :)

It makes for items that are at least as colorful if not more, will have meaning to a broader range of characters, and circumvents the whole, "hmm, priest of Kelemvor wearing 'Mystran amulet' while fighting undead... kosher or not" issue.

[SIZE="1"]Yeah, I pretty much just stole those other people's ideas and rehashed it into a suggestion thread.[/SIZE]

Egon the Monkey

Yeah, I'd agree, especially since there's a few items that are "//Do not equip unless you worship X". Stuff that's limited to a range of deities rather than alignment would be cool.

Howlando

Usually when an item is related to a deity, it relates to the deities of whatever the monsters you just killed worship.

Damien

real paladins wear amulets of vaprak imo

MrGrendel

Quote from: Howland;227006Usually when an item is related to a deity, it relates to the deities of whatever the monsters you just killed worship.

Of course! Totally makes sense that the unfortunate kobold tribe the adventurers raided might have some items used in rituals to Kurtulmak. Chances are, though, to all except a very few adventurers who generally try to inflict genocide upon kobolds, Kurtulmak probably means little, and many of them even beside the clerics may not care for wearing "Loot of Kurtulmak."

Kurtulmak is also a deity of law, evil, luck and trickery, however, and there would be a much wider range of characters who'd appreciate objects that hold a significance related to the domains. Any items used in Kurtulmak's rituals might well be distinguished by the domains that in turn distinguish him as a deity.

Although I'm sure it seems a slight difference at first glance, a Banite killing kobolds who finds a nice hammer inscribed with symbols of Law is probably going to find it a lot more rewarding and fitting than a Banite who finds a hammer specifically "of Kurtulmak." Not just Banites - there are 36 deities with the law domain, for instance. :)

I think it's a way to let deity loot keep it's flavor, and at the same time not only be more accessible to clerics but also feel more rewarding to players in general.

TheImpossibleDream

Quote from: Howland;227006Usually when an item is related to a deity, it relates to the deities of whatever the monsters you just killed worship.

In these cases as flavorful as it is... couldn't you guys just add to the monsters description "Wearing magical amulet of X god" it's sort of like having all orcs drop "orc head" "orc foot" "orc wurst" etc