Rework WaW favor system

Started by Pandip, June 25, 2016, 07:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pandip

I like the dynamic that we currently have of needing to be relatively active to gain favor, but as it stands it feels pretty negligible. Even as an officer, I'll admit that I completely forgot about my abilities to interact with the WaW's favor system, primarily because most of the benefits are fairly small and specialized. The suits feel like they're balanced more as a novelty than a benefit, especially considering Warders and monks can't use them, though the latter is a bit of a personal complaint. The armorer sells things for gold rather than favor, including the much sought after plate. Ultimately, it feels like the amount of favor you have is a pretty forgettable circumstance of being in the WaW unless we're talking about shackles (which are absolutely sweet and arguably the coolest benefit of being in the WaW) and enthrallment testers

Red_Judas

I couldn't agree more. I earned around 40 favour points and never had a reason to use them besides getting the odd set of shackles or enthrallment tester. Of the high end powersuits, I couldn't use them, and the low end weren't worth it as far as I was concerned.

I was considering the idea of asking for implants in exchange for favour instead of the suits. I mean, the biggest suit you get costs you like 50 points and you only get to use it once.
Currently playing: Quass al Quadra

zDark Shadowz

There is a (blanked) to spend them on as well, but I ended up breaking it with my summons and no more (blanked) showed up.

Pentaxius

Some ideas :
1. Remove armor proficiency restrictions on power suits.
2. Add special Artillery wands for warders to purchase with favor.
3. Add a warder-training animatron who teaches you a random spell for X favor, depending on the circle requested.

My favorites :
3. Add very expensive vanity permanent upgrades to Warder robes or armor (75 favors gets you 1 sleeve, 150 gets you the second sleeve...)
4. Add atmospheric, RP-friendly items (1 week paid leave official paper. Mouldercrest coupons. Voucher for one animated mini-watcher toy...)

Pandip

'Rework' was probably a bit of a strong word. I was moreso looking for, as people were suggesting, additional alternatives to spend favor on. I wouldn't imagine a full plate favor buy as anything less than 30-50 points for those PC's in the Watchers that are less mechanically proficient, able to acquire the gold, or quest frequently enough, etc, to get access to fullplate. Dunwarren Breathing Apparatus sounds absolutely sweet, though.

Rip and Tear

A few suggestions for Warder-friendly Favor items:

-Items that temporarily alter Evocation element
-Per-reset or, if it's possible, X Number of Uses items to use as Conjuration Focii
-Alternate Warder robe is good, possibly also robes with different active ability than the default to reflect specialization
-Portal Detection Device, same as the ability the Portal Domain grants
-Mana Prism that alters the Magic Eater effect
-Scrying items at a preposterous cost (this will never happen, but scrying's cool)

Pentaxius

OK I'm dragging around humongous amounts of favor without anything to spend it on. Lower the Agent wage by half, add some funky Agent stuff to do with favor.

So favor as a representation of trust within an institution to use assets as an Agent, let's see.

100 Favor : summon Artillery animatron
100 Favor : Access Toxic gas canister
100 Favor : Access teleportation device in Serena Tower
100 Favor : Use the projection device
100 Favor : Access special disguise item to go on undercover mission
100 Favor : Access Spellguard secret beach resort to chill with Operatives.
100 Favor : Access the secret Melina Bresley memorabilia gallery.
100 Favor : Access the personnel wine trove of Commander Barkely.
100 Favor : Access some other faction secret...  

All per reset items.

Or maybe I'm just getting home sick of Serena Tower. It's been a long time...

Anonymous Lemur

It would be interesting if before sergeant/inspector/agent rank you were required to donate X amount of favor points per week or be removed from the organization. Then once you reach sergeant/inspector/agent you can donate favor points for experience points up to level 8 similar to the lair system or grant them to subordinates you want to keep within the organization. This would ensure that those below the rank of sergeant/inspector/agent were constantly striving to impress their superiors and advance in rank.

The watchers and warders get some really nice equipment, perks and a wage so it only makes sense that they should have to work hard to maintain it.

Damien

I'd suggest removing everything armour or supply based in favour of the stuff listed in Pent's post above. As it currently stands it is simply staggering the difference in supplies and levels between WaWs and other characters, and is honestly a continual issue that has plagued this setting since day one.

Anonymous Lemur

Quote from: Damien;n662524I'd suggest removing everything armour or supply based in favour of the stuff listed in Pent's post above. As it currently stands it is simply staggering the difference in supplies and levels between WaWs and other characters, and is honestly a continual issue that has plagued this setting since day one.

I don't recall there actually being any supplies for favor points. Just the power armor suits which are temporary and an enthrallment tester baton. Might have been something I missed though. They get all of their equipment for free, bar the full plate which is incredibly cheap.

Silverfang906

Quote from: Anonymous Lemur;n662529I don't recall there actually being any supplies for favor points. Just the power armor suits which are temporary and an enthrallment tester baton. Might have been something I missed though. They get all of their equipment for free, bar the full plate which is incredibly cheap.
You forgot shackles.

Calixto

Also, the catapults, ballistae, and barricades. And the full plate is not "increadibly cheap"!
Most enjoyable characters:

EFU: COR
Tristan Caerfal (NG Human Sharpshooter)

EFU:R
Thomas Valentine (Human NG Fighter/Rogue)
Durga (Half-Orc NE Cleric of Ilneval/Fighter)

EFU:M
Marion Sileyna (Human LN Cleric of Loviatar/Fighter)
Atreia Kelten (Human Paladin of Tyr)
Riku (NG Stargazer Ranger)

quesadilla98

supplies/levels may just be due to the amount of PCs available to you as questing partners/ability to leech off higher level quests as low level which propagates even more high-leveled PCs, gold, and supplies -> more of a result of population in faction/role of the faction than inherent tangible bonuses from joining it other than wage and some armor options

Silverfang906

If we are changing anything about the favor system, Id suggest maybe making it on a longer tick the for points for favor, then ditching the less used favor battle armor and replacing it with something more usable for -all- Waw, not just a specific class. Like maybe trading them in for trinkets that give bonuses and act like temp supplies.
Example: An item maybe called.. "watcher augmenter".

1 use of Greater bull str or cats grace, 3 uses of bulls str and cats grace, 2 uses of flame blade, 2 uses of ghost, 5 uses of retreat cost: 100 gold and 2-3 favor points. only usable by: Monk, Barb, Rogue, Bard, Fighter, and Ranger

or another example...

Watch catcher
1 use of slow, 2 uses of hold person, 3 ray of enfeeblement (6), 4 tanglefoot.
Costs: 250 and 2-3 favor points

All trinkets vanish on reset and one cannot hold multiple versions of the same item. Perhaps even make it a quest so people cant grab more than one a reset. If you keep the lesser used battle suits, then I would suggest one thing. You add a weight reducer and a place to put them when they are all used up, the armor is heavy and most pc's already have a near max carry weight.

Calixto

I don't see what the problem is with the power-suits other than the added weight which, altough bothersome, must be dealt with like any other hinderance you routinely encounter in the server. Besides, it is an awesome concept which considerably adds to the "medieval high-tech" feeling of the server.

But for those who cannot use these suits, or who prefer other ways of using flavour, I like the idea of animatron henchmen. Animatrons with a limited battery / power core which last only one reset, not very powerful, which can be used with a few favour points. Make several types of them so they can encompass most of the situations faction members could encounter.

Pentaxius' list is fine, except for rank-and-file Watchers / Warders who would need like 3 months to accumulate all these points.
Most enjoyable characters:

EFU: COR
Tristan Caerfal (NG Human Sharpshooter)

EFU:R
Thomas Valentine (Human NG Fighter/Rogue)
Durga (Half-Orc NE Cleric of Ilneval/Fighter)

EFU:M
Marion Sileyna (Human LN Cleric of Loviatar/Fighter)
Atreia Kelten (Human Paladin of Tyr)
Riku (NG Stargazer Ranger)