Remove raise dead

Started by I love cats, November 15, 2014, 01:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I love cats

While I like raise dead scrolls in long drawn out DM events. I feel like the cost of raise dead items/from NPCS should be absurdly increased by x10-20 (and deliberately out of the price range of most PCS.)  

I say leave it for a pc cleric with an expensive diamond, and supervisable by a DM to see how fealty that PC has been. With unfaithful/PCS who did not prove themselves to their god/Tithe never granted a raise.  

I honestly hate the raise dead spell and have seen it given out like candy. Even a more comical situation where I had just murdered someone and people were all "Oh 1,500 gold we can just raise our murdered comrade no big deal." It caused me to type OOC IG and utter profanities about how retarded this spell is. Hell even a murder victim was just found the next day walking around and chilling. It also makes it absurdly/insanely difficult to assassinate a person in a group because hey the party can just get a raise dead spell.  

I say remove the spell or absurdy increase the price it is a joke spell.

Grotesque

If you're hellbent on having a PC killed, you could disembowel/boil their corpse in acid. I don't think raise dead helps then. And if you're an assassin and don't have time for that - lop their head off and run away with it? PvP deaths aside, it's a fairly balanced way of negating the major xp hit from respawning from monster deaths.

HalflingPower

The only thing I dislike about raise dead is that it easily invalidates player vs player hostage situations 90% of the time. Such as when the zerg ignores the hostage in lieu of reviving them later in order to secure the 'glory of the villain kill'.

HighHouseDeath

In efu if you behead someone they can't be raised. Just behead your captives.

Sajuuk-Khar

I have always found people being raised from PvP deaths in this way kind of tasteless and cheap.

Paha

It's usually tasteful and meaningful if to die in pvp situation, and often even respectful. Though IC situations vary, and no situation is the same. So it's pointless to argue whether it's in general acceptable, cheap or tasteless. I remember for certain situations where each here has been on the receiving end at some point of our servers history.

I doubt we'll be removing it, but I kind of personally agree that it could be far more rarer and valuable.

TaintedDreams

Merely tossing in my two cents, perhaps there should be a limit on resurrections per reset, or within a given period of time? Casting a resurrection spell is rather exhausting, after all! It wouldn't entirely solve the problem, though it would perhaps help make it a little less ridiculous.

Stranger

Revival from PvP has its place. Not long after I first joined EFU, my arcane character was abruptly murdered by a barbarian dropping his two-handed weapon on me out of invisibility. Thankfully, I had joined a player faction, and LiAlH4 treated to me to a spooky resurrection ritual that had relevance to the personal plots of those involved for a year afterwards.

Now that I'm a bit more situated, I prefer to let my characters stay dead if they were put down by another player. It doesn't matter if a raise is feasible. It's very much conducive to the EFU I want to enjoy. Anyone can die, at any moment, struck down by another!

Deciding who should and should not return from PvP death is an extremely finicky concern. I want to suggest leaving it to the judgement of a dungeon master, but opinions will differ from each and that would be fundamentally unfair.

...Hm.

Gear Head

I'd like to point out that you can't behead or otherwise ruin a corpse for raising without confirmation of your attempt with a DM -before- you make your IC emote.

Also, as far as I've seen it's pretty uncommon that people get raised, and when they do it's normally for a variety of IC factors, and is more than simply dragging the body to a NPC priest. Not saying that doesn't happen, but to my mind it happens so infrequently it's a non-issue.

That said, people just assuming they can do something stupid that gets themselves or someone else killed because they can simply get a raise strikes me as a very OOC attitude. Even with raises being an IC thing, death should be properly feared and accounted for as being almost certainly permanent, whether in PvP or death by NPCs.

I love cats

I will be honest while paying with my past 3 characters I noticed the following comedic/absurd things.

1 People just absurd in hostage situations with numerous instances/Not taking them seriously.

2 A person being raised from the dead....To then be ransomed off.

3 A person that was literally ripped to pieces and covertly murdered who was then raised and attempting to report their own murder.

4 I took hostages killed a hostage because attacking a guy with a hostage in wordless PVP and ignoring a warning causes me to do that. Person then dies afterwards they discuss that the person killed can be raised. Which leads me to beieve situation #1 to be in direct correlation with raaise dead.  

Being raised from the dead is supposed to be some kind of divine miracle. 1,500 gold in this setting is basically nothing. Making it out of reach/removed would resolve a lot of comedic IG problems yet the majority of oppoisition to my suggestion is sheer OOC power game drivel of  "I WANT 2 SAVE MY XP!"

As for an IG explanation Have the gods just decide "We are pissed Dendar is eating us the Fuge Plane is fucked up we need a more worthy offering to perform divine miracles like raising the dead."

MaximumOverDrive

I have an idea to make people less inclined towards raise dead. In actual 2.0 tabletop i play utilizing raise dead permanately took 1 point of con... ressurections did not, but the simple raise dead had signifigant penalties, to the point where if you died enough and went to raise deads to save you, you simply eventually could not come back.

putrid_plum

The PvP / Raise thing happened to me before.  It pretty much ruined my character.  I think it's silly personally.  It takes all the seriousness away from a full death PvP kill because anyone with allies can just nab up that gold and raise the fallen.  I don't want to see it removed BUT I would like to see it cost more or need more, if used for PvP conflict reasons.

Mort

Topic is silly and being used as a laundry list of untasteful decisions. If you have an issue with an event, report it to the DMs in private or get a DM to oversee your PVP.