Revert Sorcerers Spells Known

Started by One_With_Nature, March 02, 2023, 12:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

One_With_Nature

I'm sure this has undergone a great deal of deliberation by DMs already - but given that this setting looks like level 8 is going to be the new max level for the majority of people (If not 7), this means the majority of long lived sorcerers by level 8 will have in comparison to say a wizard (assuming 18 cha/int):

Sorcerer:
- 2 level 3 spells known - 6 castings
- 1 level 4 spell known - 4 castings

Wizard:
- Any number of spells only limited by spell school / finding scrolls
- 5 castings of level 3 spells
- 4 castings of level 4 spells

So sorcerer has 1 more casting of level 3 spells - but only 2 spells to choose from. Has access to 4th circle 1 level later then wizard (Very unlikely to ever get to 10 and have 2 5th circle spells). Even if sorcerers had the one extra spell known and factoring in perks, they are still a lot weaker then wizards mechanically.

In the previous chapter getting to level 8/9 was pretty easy, and sorcerers power spikes around level 8 - 10, so I can see why they were very common last chapter, I think it will be less so this chapter.

I know not all classes have to be equal but in this setting I thin sorcerers are going to be much weaker in the majority of content, so my suggestion is to revert sorcerers to one extra spell known at 3rd/4th/5th circle.

derkot

Sorcs do have:
1) Perks
2) Many spell slot items

Some perks maybe not makes sorcs that powerful but EFU in my experience always had a lot of loot with sorcerer spell slot item. Even with new chapter and visiting few quests I did managed to find few items already.
I think this extra slots in COR made sorcs very powerful with little efforts. Every slot counts! And wizards usually have more hard time. If remember COR again, I have played a wizard and it was super hard time to find robe with spell slots that easy and usually come from 60ths rings quests when sorc robes easy was gained in many places.
Only one thing sad in this that likely many sorcs will pick improved invis for min/max than for flavour/theme/perk/fun.
Радостное одиночество.

Tree

This may come out in the wash eventually but with the lower exp and lower levels this chapter (which is good) sorcerers seem a bit weak when hitting that sweet third spell slot. A great QoL change would be to just give the extra spell slot for 3 atleast. My 2c.