Paul Weston

Started by PanamaLane, January 10, 2016, 07:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PanamaLane

(sadly no screens)

Since I've been playing EFU, Weston ranks way up there with the most challenging and fun characters I've had. Paul was honest to the core and despite changing his mind on occasion, like the decision to fight with the Society which ultimately got him killed, every interaction he had was played genuine without hidden agendas. Sometimes that can be a pretty boring experience, but with Paul, who so many expected of double dealings and corruption, it was truly a blast.

Paul began as a homework project of a sort. I was myself really getting into archery. As I was learning the sport, I decided to make a character who was himself a master archer and attempt to complete a dry and technical manual on archery IG. The name Paul Weston is actually derived from Paul Shaffer, who was considered the best recurve bow trophy hunter to have ever lived (read a bit about him here if you like: http://www.brothersofthebow.com/html...iesofpaul.html) and Easton arrows, my preferred brand.

Quite obviously things really evolved for him quickly once he joined the Watchers. Paul got heavily involved into the Rosethorn plot leading to what was a defining moment of his time in Sanctuary, when he unknowingly helped convict an innocent Robert Oak, only later to discover the true traitors identity in his confidant, "Abraham Farford". During that incident as well, Paul would argue the true nature of the Spellguard was revealed. From that point forward, he made it a point to challenge Spellguard authority, especially to his friends within the ranks. With Oak's position open as Adjutant, Paul was essentially the only person left to take the role. I would say the role fit him like a glove.

The most fun I had with Paul was doing the little things, like training and testing new recruits. Paul was a coach, trying to guide fellow Watchers to do good for Sanctuary. I especially enjoyed the camaraderie with Hagkir, Everglow, and all the Wayscouts. While the inter-faction conflicts were also amazing with guys like Blackstone, Southgate, Farford, Favereau and others. He was extremely close with the Society from the beginning, despite often getting caught between their inter-faction conflicts as well. I also throughly enjoyed having enemies within the Spellguard, and and in Lower, putting Paul in a unique position of having to constantly battle the enemy of my enemy scenarios. He later ran for Director as an independent and got hammered by both guilds. Paul made a lot of enemies trying to do the right thing.

The other thing I really enjoyed was just his ability to survive in the underdark. Certainly he needed more then a few corpse clears along the way, but generally Paul could solo explore just about every corner out there. I even made a few solo attempts at reaching Old Port, which failed obviously, but it was pretty cool to earn some faith in the possibility- it might work this time. I made a pretty cool "road map" at one point, only to lose it when I needed to clean restore my computer, which is also why I don't have screenshots, very sadly I might add!

More then any other characteristic, I think that Paul was defined by charity. He gave over 20,000 gold to Starag's rest. He never carried more then a couple potions at a time and relied on what I considered the bare minimum it takes to survive efu. It helped that along the way, he earned some decent gear. Amazingly, I had some victories in PVP with him, but most of the time managed draws. The only loss I can think of came during an extremely awesome fight, in which many lives depended on him. Can't win them all! A highlight was being the one to finally kill Mad Marge...course that might just be a rumor...

I'll leave you with a few things about his background: Paul believed that he was related, distantly to the Bresley's. A traditionalist, he knew every name in his family tree, one of which was a great Aunt Bresley (who married into the Weston line). Whether or not she was actually related to the Charles and Fredrick, is completely unknown. Paul never mentioned it, or did so so obscurely that no one ever picked up on it. While Paul was an honest guy, there were a lot of things he didn't mention. Like the fact he was closeted transgender. Paul felt he was born to be a woman. Since this was taboo, he spent most of his adult life in the woods, shunning family life and returning to nature. Pretty much Brokeback Mountain. He did, however, develop a true love for nature in this way and for cuddling up with his underdark panther.

Thanks to the entire player base for being such an awesome place to develop character ideas and spur narratives which stir my creative juices. I particularly want to thank the DMs for being patient and active in Paul's evolution, especially SC, Caster and of course Howland. See you guys with my next!

Damien

An interesting read until the last part.

A transgender is not someone who then resorts to beastiality, and I don't think any part of that is appropriate for IG as it cannot be represented correctly :(

Vagrant Savant

From the days of Edgar Flint, all the way to Paul running for director, he was one of my favorite "genuinely well-intentioned" characters. He made a lot of leaps, and most didn't pay off, but it was fun to watch all the same. The archery guide as well, really set the bar on RP manuals, being that it was (surprise surprise) informative even on a reasonable RL medium. Terrific work and writing on it. It was obviously an OOC passion, not just IC.

Heh, you might say his closeted transgenderism was something he didn't mention, but it had at least one hilariously awkward hinting during the Cyric gender-swap curse. I had a feeling on an OOC-level that was the case, and Paul subtely inclined to it pretty tastefully.

Keep on keeping on.

PanamaLane

Haha, just to make it 100% clear, Paul cuddled with his cat for affection not in a beastial manner.

goate

Had some very good times with Weston, including our Benny Hill chase scene around Serena Tower.  RIP!

Vlaid

A well portrayed Ascensionist to the end

Pentaxius

IMPURE, UNWHOLESOME WRETCH! Vauclair saw right through his perverted passions...

I enjoyed our quibbles during election period. You added some colorful diversity of opinions.

Well done!

OITF

a perfectly tuned tool of backstabbing

Ironside

He was Frederick Bresley