Polythiesm and You: An EFU Rant

Started by Random_White_Guy, April 18, 2009, 04:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lansert

Some patrons however do not mix.  A follower of Tyr would not offer prayers to Beshaba but instead Tymora for luck.  They both have the same domain (luck) but they offer two entirely different influences on that domain.  You would not want to give Beshaba power by offering her a prayer and encouraging her misuse of the domain.

Maybe if you were of one of the neutral alignment you might, if only to turn her wrath away from you and on to another in exchange for giving her slight power.  But a good person would not give power to an evil being in exchange for turning said being's wrath on another person.  Sounds evil to me.

But, just because you do not care for a domain or deity, do not like it, or even are opposed to it, you do not have to go about cursing them because you are not offering prayer.  Lack of prayer is not the opposite of prayer, it is the absence.

Dr Dragon

Plenty of good sailors pray and give offerings to Umberlee.

AllMYBudgies

This annoyed me no end while playing an evil cleric, glad I'm not the only one who noticed! The evil deities are still that, deities. They have power and are quite willing to use it if they are not given the right respect they are due, part of me thinks that perhaps they would be given more veneration at times, as they would be known to be spiteful and wicked in their vindication of people who do not do so. I always think back to 'old testament' God, and how he was more than willing to reek havoc on people who did not live by his will.

Quoteuyou would not want to give Beshaba power by offering her a prayer and encouraging her misuse of the domain.
Beshaba demands that everyone, no matter their patron or their values, offer her at the minimum lip service,. As such, she is called to all weddings, speeches, formal events etc. if she is not given it she will curse your days with misfortune. This applies to everyone, unless you are a cleric of Tymora.

Staring Death

That she demands doesn't mean you are under obligations to do so. One might turn to a Tymoran to bless the day instead.

AllMYBudgies

Of course nobody is under obligation to do anything, however given that the mindset of the common folks of the FR setting are supposed to be a simple peoples, I am quite sure that given the fear spreading and obvious evidence of her whims would make most people do as she asked?

Staring Death

I have to disagree here, otherwise, no good deity could hope to match an evil one, if fear was the best mean to get worship and lip service.

Most aspects of anything are often served by two gods, one good, one evil. It is always up to the people to decide if they turn to one they fear or one they like. Hence, they often have alternatives to decide who to turn to, regardless of what the other demands or promotes.

Anonymous Bosch

Most people certainly aren't going to worry about the power of their prayer giving any God power to abuse.
Unless a character actively stands against the functions that a God stands for (like a Helmite priest and Mask) they're going to use the God that fits the moment. If someone has a run of bad luck, they will attempt to appease Beshaba. If they have a run of good luck, they will thank Tymora. If they are in the middle they will say a prayer to both, because two Gods are better than one and you wouldn't want them cancelling each other out.

edit: How would people even know that their prayers are going to give a God power (to misuse or not)?  It won't be common knowledge.
All the people really know is the superstition that insulting a God pisses off that God, who will then take it out on your puny hide.

Calavera

Anonymous Bosch

Common folks are likely to latch on to the dominant religion in their area.  Tymoran farmer near Arabel, Banite farmer near Zhentil Keep.  Doesn't mean they go around shouting their faith from the rooftops, or even knowing what their god really stands for.
This is the case with some people even in these times of infinitely accessible information.

derfo

i think there is more to characters than being "GOOD" or "OF TYR" or "FARMER" that influence their god worship choices

Random_White_Guy

Quote from: Calavera;120882a Banite farmer?

Dreadmaster walks up with three soldiers in tow. "You there, Farmer. Bane demands your respect and fealty. Your lands are now property of the Zhentarim and we shall be using them to feed our army in the region. Bane is your new master."

Farmer "...[gulp] Y-Yes sir...Praise bane, Sir...Please don't kill me sir. Praise Bane"

Bam. Banite Farmer.
[11:23 PM] Howlando: Feel free LealWG
[11:23 PM] Howlando: I'll give you a high five + fist bump tip

[1:34 AM] BigOrcMan: RwG, a moment on the lips, forever on the hips

Wern8

All of this has been said before, it is true that more characters should react to the deities and offer prayers, yet there are many exceptions, not all of us are playing common characters, and I believe Paladins, Divine Champions and Clerics need not be included.

Personally, I feel that we should worry more of such classes being played wrongly and devout characters who hardly ever pray or even speak of their patron deity are more annoying to me.

Sedarine

Quote from: Calavera;120882a Banite farmer?

What does a Banite farmer grow?

Beats!

Oh man, that gnome in the n00b tower oughta use that!

Seriously though..I like to think I pray to one god, and thank the others for the things they do..Chauntea for the land, Umberlee for the safe voyage, etc.

I think to slander a god is to invite their wrath...I don't need divine wrath!

Sinister Seneschal

Unfortunately our setting being what it is, FR is not strictly a polytheistic community and they've inserted plenty of Medieval Judeo/Christian influences on religious conflict, faith and ecclesiastical organisation.

The result is a confusing hodgepodge, and often a character's patron will directly tell them to oppose certain Gods. As Wern8 states it's hard at that point for a devout worshipper that even derives spell from a deity that has such a dogma -- to then turn around and pay homage to the very gods he has been sworn to oppose. I can see it happening, but I definitely don't think it's something that is necessary for proper roleplay.

Random_White_Guy

Quote from: Sinister Seneschal;120953Unfortunately our setting being what it is, FR is not strictly a polytheistic community and they've inserted plenty of Medieval Judeo/Christian influences on religious conflict, faith and ecclesiastical organisation.

The result is a confusing hodgepodge, and often a character's patron will directly tell them to oppose certain Gods. As Wern8 states it's hard at that point for a devout worshipper that even derives spell from a deity that has such a dogma -- to then turn around and pay homage to the very gods he has been sworn to oppose. I can see it happening, but I definitely don't think it's something that is necessary for proper roleplay.

Oh, No doubt. I'll be the first to say I don't even do this all the time. And it isn't required for Proper roleplay at all.

It just always irked me to see Clerics of gods like Umberlee, Talona, Beshaba, and Talos being told to go to hell by PC's. From the way this thread spiraled out of control I guess I didn't get that point across well, but there are gods out there that are scary, vengeful, and will make your life miserable if you don't appease them. Even good guys should try to appease them, not just their followers, is the Jist of what I was trying to get across.
[11:23 PM] Howlando: Feel free LealWG
[11:23 PM] Howlando: I'll give you a high five + fist bump tip

[1:34 AM] BigOrcMan: RwG, a moment on the lips, forever on the hips