EFU Newbie Survival Guide v6

Started by EvilResearchGroup, November 20, 2023, 05:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilResearchGroup

EFU Newbie Survival Guide v6

This is a redone EFU survival guide. Some of this is my own opinion, so take it for what it's worth. Big props to the prior survival guide which is still an excellent reference.

Before we get into it, there are three rules to playing EFU you should understand.

Rule 1: Challenge is Fun! EFU is hard. Your character will die. Your pixels live and die by numbers that will generally slowly tick upwards over time which aren't really a reflection on you or your own abilities. It is OK to die. Everyone else has. Many times.

Rule 2: Challenge is not always Consensual! Sometimes you will end up in an unwinnable situation. Sometimes your team is not as helpful as it could be. Sometimes other player characters will beat you up and possibly take your gold or some potions. Unexpected things make things interesting because if you could perfectly predict the course of events, you would probably get bored quickly.

Rule 3: You deserve to have Fun! If you started a character and you're not necessarily enjoying your time, it is OK to quit your character without a dramatic death scene or a fond farewell. Your time is valuable. If you respect your own time and focus on things you find rewarding, you will have a more enjoyable experience. It is OK to take a break from EFU sometimes, be that for a weekend, a couple weeks, or even a few years.

With that out of the way...

What Should I Play?
Generally, whatever you find fun. Some paths are harder than others. You should be aware of roleplaying guidelines for your chosen race/class on the wiki main page. A good way to get started is to play an awakened or amnesiac (background wiki) human fighter that uses a one-handed weapon and a shield. This way, you can become accustomed to some of the systems in EFU with a hardier but potentially easier to play character. If you enjoy your experience, stick with it. If you're not in love with your character but you think you have a better idea for one now that you have played for a little while, see Rule 3.

How Do I Play?
Most experience is gained by performing quests. Many quests have hints for their location in the module (the nuisance department in Hashemma's Hope, the job board in the Krak de Roses, etc.). If you are still having difficulty, most player characters know where some (if not most) of the quests are and can help you, as most quests after a certain point require at least two player characters. Once located, characters typically have to traverse a dangerous, monster filled quest area and defeat some sort of boss monster at the end. Most quests allow for anywhere from 2 to 6 player characters to attempt them.

Included in EFU are also a large world full of secrets to discover, roving monsters, random explorable areas, bounties on powerful NPC monsters and enemies, difficult monster fortress attack battles that can host the entire player base at once, and unique DM events and quests. Player characters also have their own motivations and can sometimes become antagonists against the larger player base. This robust environment provides a great deal of variety and potential challenges and will hopefully provide you with a great deal of enjoyment.

How Do I Play Better?
EFU has a robust consumable item economy. You will find many items and most of them have a use to someone somewhere, but you should pay particular attention to items that heal or make your character better at fighting. Of particular importance for fighting characters are potions of bark skin and blur, as these will dramatically reduce the number of times you are struck in combat. Invisibility and expeditious retreat potions are useful for surviving situations that might not be winnable (you will eventually get in over your head). Your success will ultimately boil down to how you manage supplies so you are generally prepared for quests and other dangers you might encounter while also dealing with the limitations of encumbrance and your pack size. If you find you are lacking for supplies you think you might need, some player characters are capable of crafting potions and can exchange your gold for whatever you might need.

You will typically want to heal when you yourself become 'badly injured' (50% health or lower), or heal someone else when they are 'injured' if you are not fighting that moment. Teamwork can make action economy much better with one character good at dodging/taking blows fighting while the other heals.

Finally, positioning in combat is important. Fighting characters need to be careful about charging into groups of enemies and attempt to use choke points like hallways and doors to limit the amount of enemies they fight at once. Fighting characters should generally try to attack a creature that is attacking them, as this will prevent that creature from gaining a flanking bonus (+2 AB to hit, or 10% roughly) as well as deny the attacker any sort of sneak attack. Weaker characters need to try to keep fighting characters between themselves and the enemies, but should make themselves useful by using their other abilities to keep those characters alive, such as healing.

On Death:
Your character will die. It's not an if. If you are frustrated, take a break and come back. If you aren't having fun after you're done being frustrated, see rule #3 and do something else, be that playing a different game for a while or starting an entirely new character. Respawning allows you to roleplay a near death experience and return at a lower level than you were before. Usually, this will give you the opportunity to do some early quests that will dramatically increase your supplies and potentially let you find better gear. If your character isn't above level 6 this isn't really much of a setback, as you will gain experience over time until you are level 6 anyways even by just walking around town and interacting.

Some parting tips:
Encumbrance is important. A way to shed pounds without sacrificing much is picking lighter weapon types, such as the spear, short sword, or longsword. Strongly consider armors that weigh less if they provide equivalent AC, even if some of the other bonuses are slightly better. If you get overweight and have to drop something, decide which item(s) you're more likely to actually use in the short term and hang on to those while dropping the rest.

Sometimes drinking an expensive blur potion is actually cheaper than downing 20 healing potions or healing item charges. Some situations aren't survivable without lots of extra spells and protection. A good rule of thumb is 'reading the room' and mimicking what other player characters are doing when you have no idea what you should be doing. If your buddy Bob the Berserker starts drinking every potion he has, for example, it's probably time to go all out too.

Make friends. You will live or die by them. A low charisma character might be accurately portrayed and abrasive and unlikeable, but this means you're potentially going to struggle to do much of anything at all if you can't join quests or safely explore. Again, see rule #3.
I played EFU before it was cool.

putrid_plum

I like how positive this post is and it's got very good information in it.

Thanks!!  This will help many new players I feel.

Jules

This post would benefit from a tips and tricks section alongside some screenshots of things to look out for, such as identifiers for quest NPCs or Inns.

Karwelas

Hello everyone!

I wanted to add something to the guide myself, as I have often seen many people confused by other aspects of EFU and how to approach it sometimes: my tips aim to address this and answer some of the hanging questions that some of you may have. (I have to say right away that this part of the guide is made by me, and some of this information may be slightly wrong - if it is, let me know and I will do my best to correct it quickly!)

Do not be afraid to thank other players for their participation in the roleplay, praise something about their character, ask for tips, and generally be social. You may be pleasantly surprised to find that while IC is important, we are all human, and while we know and like someone OOC, we are more likely to approach them - it's a social mechanism, and no matter how we try, we can't stop being human, even when we're pretending to be someone else! Being positive goes a long way.

The Core of EFU: Me, you and the world

Something that should be addressed first is what EFU is all about: there were many people, myself included, who were quite culture shocked when we started our adventure here, coming from different servers, communities or even games! there is nothing wrong with being new, believe me - we all started at some point!

EFU started its career a long time ago - I think the exact date was either winter or autumn of 2004/2005, so as you can see it is pretty damn old. Some players are here from the very beginning, others joined later, during the life of the server. EFU has its own culture, memes and approach to certain things, so don't be discouraged if you see people talking about things you don't understand: some of us have known each other for years. Don't be afraid to talk to people and get to know them.

But back to the main point: EFU is about telling stories. Not always happy or victorious stories. Sometimes, they will end in tragedy and pain - but that is also fun! While mechanics is the focus of much DM work, the main goal of EFU has always been to tell stories, some of which have spanned years of play. EFU is divided into "editions" or "chapters". Each has a fundamentally different approach to factions, world setting, general themes and ideas. Some ideas may fit into the setting, but we all make mistakes, and EFU has always been something of an experiment in pushing boundaries with ideas.

V6 takes a radically different approach: it focuses on a single hub city called Ephia's Well, where player characters can get involved in everything from politics to economics, discover the hidden history of the world (which is one of the main themes of the chapter!), join one of the Accord factions, and push the boundaries of the world. The conflicts, while not as deadly as before, are still part of the world - in my humble opinion, storytelling is all about conflict. Whether it is DM challenges, personal character issues or conflicts with other player characters, it is always something of a core part of roleplaying. The setting is much more lawful - murdering someone in the street can kill your character as quickly as a blade between the ribs. Intrigues and clever ways of undermining your opponents can give you a much longer and more satisfying story. Remember - if you kill them, it is the end. Give yourself and others time to get to know your character, form rivalries and learn about each other.

Do not be afraid to be a part of it. Challenge, confront and fight: "March on to spite the sun".

"EFU is not for everyone."

What I am about to write may be controversial for many, especially in more casual communities and servers: EFU is welcoming in its own way. Many of the players and DMs here are some of the nicest and most helpful people I have ever met on a Neverwinter Nights server, and you can always ask them for any kind of advice, whether it be on plot or mechanics.

However, there is one thing I have to say - to quote Howland, the main admin of EFU, "EFU is not for everyone", and I have to agree. You see, EFU is made with certain basics in mind - premadeath, weight of consequences and stories told, and low level environment. It is made in such a way as to give both real feelings of tension and weight to the things that happen in it. Your character will not wake up after being killed by another PC (unless you want them to - you can always say you didn't want to kill them in the first place). As mentioned before, your character will die. They will die from plots, betrayals, bad decisions, mechanical deaths and just plain bad luck. If you are uncomfortable with this, you should consider changing your approach to EFU. There is nothing wrong with playing a more casual character, a thug, a simpleton, or even a plain stupid or careless character - after all, once you get your bearings, you can make a different character, or develop the character into something much more sophisticated or different, depending on the events around them!

Do not be discouraged by making mistakes. You will make them. I have made them myself and found myself taking breaks from EFU many times. It is not a bad thing. Some people play here for years, take a year or two off, and sometimes come back after a week. It is a hobby after all. The first thing it should be is civil and fun.

The weight and role of social interactions or "The Chains that bind characters":

EFU is all about connecting with the characters. It is, after all, the crux of the story. While DMs act out the world, the focus of EFU is on connecting the relationships between factions, characters and groups. While it may seem like a good idea to play as a lone wolf, mocking and insulting everyone, you may soon find that you are left alone to your own devices, and that may not sit well with someone who is new to the server and does not know how to stir things up around their character in a way that will still get the attention of other players. EFU actions have consequences and social repercussions: not many people want to be friends with, let alone be associated with, cannibals, murderers or any other kind of horrible person.

However, villains are a very important part of EFU history - many beloved characters were evildoers who did more harm than good and took many lives in the process. It is all about experience and finding out what makes people tick. There is room for both good and bad characters, and while it may be hard at first, other players will get to know you and start to interact with your character, especially if they see that you care about interacting with them. Do not be afraid to make enemies, rivals, friends and simple acquaintances. At first I would suggest something more social to get to know the current chapter and climate of EFU - do not wait for others to approach you, be the first! Talk to them (even if they push you away at first, it may just be that they are busy IC. Believe me, sometimes there is a lot of activity in the game, especially during the elections of this chapter) and don't get discouraged. Even if the first five contacts fail, they may remember you and end up questing with you or doing something else with you in a few days.

The effort or how to make things work:

One very specific thing about EFU is effort. Or rather, the amount of it it sometimes takes to make things work. Of course, as mentioned before, this is just a hobby. You don't have to spend countless hours getting to know people or polishing your character to the point where every facet of it can be roleplayed.

The first rule of EFU regarding effort is that it doesn't always work. Sometimes your great scheme or character idea will not appeal to other people or DMs - sometimes even to you! Sometimes there's too much going on, or people aren't invested enough to follow it. This is normal: believe me, I learned this the hard way. I have seen people shoot up with their first character and rock the server like it was their band, becoming legends in their own right, while others have had to spend months getting used to the specifics of the server or chapter. Getting used to it is a normal process, and people will slowly get to know you outside of the game as well - believe me, some people are afraid that some great storyline will come to a halt because someone stops playing.

That's why, even if they don't comment on it, the effort you put in is noticed and appreciated, even if it doesn't always work out. People are not always good at giving each other credit, but I was shocked to hear that some people loved a character of mine that I thought was a shallow puddle of water and nothing interesting about it could keep me playing it. DMs notice the notes you make on EFUSL, and even if they don't say anything, they read them.

A very important aspect of this, which even some old players have problems with, is getting people involved in things. The more people involved in something, the more support it will get, even from DMs. But remember, you don't have to be a big shot on every character. Even very small ideas can get noticed and taken up in ways you might not expect.

It won't always work, but that's no reason not to try. Help others push their things and you may find that they will help you! The longer you stick with a character, the more you will be noticed and remembered - especially in this chapter, as it aims for longer than usual character development. If you want to get DM's attention, join one of the DM factions, they exist for that very reason. Help or hinder your brothers and sisters in arms for coin and influence, betray and make allies, love, hate and generally have a bloody good time, ok?

"You can app for everything" or applications, DMs and DM attention:

Applications on EFU are also a specific thing - they are basically anything from getting a prestige class to starting a plot. In theory you can apply for anything, but in practice... the first thing to consider, as mentioned in this guide (https://www.efupw.com/forums/index.php?topic=705188.0), is how easy it will be for DMs to make and how fun it will be for OTHERS to interact with. If you ask for an amazing magical weapon that will be OP, don't be surprised if DMs say "Yeah, no, sorry! On the other hand, if you get a group of people together after a week or two of screaming about wanting to make a magic weapon, RP for information on minerals and metals, and gather a group of PC blacksmiths to make it, you may be pleasantly surprised with the results.

Some applications are earned in-game - promotions in factions or prestige classes almost always fall into this category. They are meant to be played out in-game, sometimes over a long period of time on the player's side to reach a certain status and conclusion - sometimes it can happen faster, sometimes slower. The monster races in this chapter are not the main focus, so you may find that your application will not be accepted for them. As mentioned before, each chapter has its own theme and flavour. What worked last time may not work this time!

Sometimes DMs are already working on something. There may be ongoing plots that you have no idea about. Sometimes they create new locations or expand the server. Abala worked on chapter 5/6 for about 10,000 HOURS - it is the only DM that I have confirmed with work-load, so sorry for using you as example, Abala!. Some other DMs have probably worked no less, including the entire lore of the Great Ash Desert, mechanics, bug patches, new classes, areas and other things. They are very busy people doing this for free - and they are still human, prone to making mistakes just like you and me. It is always worth remembering that and keeping things positive - nobody is paying them or us to play or DM, haha!

Sometimes you may notice or feel that the DMs seem to be favouring someone at the moment - it is all a matter of perspective. Nobody is ignoring you on purpose or with ill will - if you suspect anyone to have bad intend against you OOCly, talk with other DM about it. It really may be just that: a feeling. Of course, as humans, the playerbase is more inclined to trust veterans who we know will not disappear in a week and never be heard from again. That is natural. Sometimes people make group concepts together, but I have never experienced being ignored by people other than by in-character means. I have never experienced ill OOC intent.

On the contrary! Many times I have been given tips on how to approach things, or simply talked to people about ideas and concepts, and been thanked or thanked for my own input - from books I have written to various suggestions. People are here to help, as long as you have the courage to ask! Again, just approach people and get to know them - even if #EFU-main is sometimes salty, they are all great people. (Except gnomes. Don't trust gnomes).

I think this guide is in itself a good start for the EFU. Sometimes it's fun, sometimes it's not, but isn't that life? As long as you enjoy playing, play. If you don't, take a break or do something else. It's just a hobby, not a holy mission - you don't have to force yourself to play it. But I hope you will have as much fun with EFU as I and many others have, and that we will get to know each other, newbie! Stay cool, stay frosty and stay happy and positive - I think that is the key.

Thanks for your attention!
Current character: Ealdred Emberheart, the burned hin.