Diplomacy

Started by Porkolt, March 29, 2012, 05:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porkolt

Diplomacy is a board game set in Europe around the time of World War I. To get a grasp of what international politics of the day revolved around, take a look at the following video (which is not only hilarious, but also quite accurate).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrjHdl-IYPw

Welcome to Diplomacy, the game in which you play one of these superpowers in a bid for European domination. The game revolves around obtaining a majority of the critical areas on the game board, called supply centers, but because there are 6 other players and 38 supply centers, that isn't exactly easy. So, to make things easier for yourself, you need to work together with other players. By negotiating alliances and treaties you will be able to defeat your enemies, but there's one problem...

None of this counts.

In Diplomacy, there is no game rule that forces you to tell the truth, keep your promises or honor your alliances. Though a shrewd negotiator may get an advantage, only the shrewd betrayer is able to maintain it.

So how does it work? It's actually quite simple. Here are the rules, and half of the 25-page manual is examples: http://www.wizards.com/avalonhill/rules/diplomacy.pdf

If anyone is interested in playing, I will gladly set up a game using my personal internet-Diplomacy server of choice, situated at diplomacy.denes.nl (which is used by a lot of Dutch people, which shows, but entirely usable for English speakers).

We'll be playing using //www.playdiplomacy.com, please register there if you want to play.

If you're interested in playing or have questions, please head on over to #efudiplomacy on IRC!

Letsplayforfun

Come on play, we need be exactly 7 to play.

You can conquer countries, negociate alliances, and betray your allies! Need you ask for more?

Porkolt

A try-out game was played with great success (except on Disco's part).

We're looking for a few more players before we can schedule and actual game.

Join #efudiplomacy on IRC.

Disco

What do you mean Porkolt? I pulverised the russian navy!
Great game. If you love games from Paradox, such as hearts of iron or Europa universalis, you will LOVE this one.

putrid_plum

Disco

Well we need more players plum. So you can still make it.

Porkolt

Yeah the tryout game was just a tutorial basically.

Lenthis

Amasec

Turning down an opportunity for Diplomacy is anathema!

putrid_plum

Porkolt

First game is up to join, check #efudiplomacy for more details.

We've got more interested players than seats, guys. Hurry it up!

putrid_plum

YESS JOIN, I wish to crush you all!!!

Gotham

Couldn't I just play as Germany, declare war on everyone, and conquer most of Europe?

Porkolt

Six players in, looking for one more.

#efudiplomacy on IRC.

Porkolt

LPFF dropped, we're still looking for a seventh player.