Cosine Mevura

Started by Stranger, April 05, 2024, 01:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stranger

everyone's least favorite wizard

Quote from: Initial ConceptCosine is a young refugee from the Wizard Warrens. He traces his descent to a group of Lantanna technomancers who awoke within the City of Rings many generations ago and founded the Vatic Order of Mathemagicians. Unfortunately for Cosine, it is a whimsical tradition within his family to name children after mathematic concepts, and he has been bullied relentlessly over this by other children.

As a child, he witnessed the coming and going of many luminaries in Wizard Warrens. But more importantly, he has also witnessed the unspeakable tragedies that continually brought about suffering and disaster in his homeland, brought about by egomaniacal, selfish archmages whose hubris wreaked havoc upon reality itself.

He has witnessed so much suffering, so much death. It haunts him every day. It gnaws at him. All he can want is for the world to be kinder and better, so that no one else will have to endure the horrors that he has survived.

Although their names are a matter of great discomfort and embarrassment to them all, Cosine, his sister Tangent, and his brother Sine, have all enrolled as Nadiri students in Eagle Mount. The two siblings will remain NPCs that my character refers to obliquely, to flavor and color his life off-screen.

Their father, Grandmaster Hypotenuse Mevura, and several of his apprentices, sacrificed themselves ten years ago to hold back the thirsting shadows of the apocalypse, so that his family might survive. Their mother, Kyllene Konphas, died sometime in the intervening years between surviving the cataclysm and the arrival at Ephia's Well.

In addition to a notion of maths-based wizardry, Cosine emphasizes themes of magical gadgetry and clockwork mechanisms, particularly as those devices might contribute to the manipulation of time; in his heart of hearts, Cosine dearly wants to travel back to that fateful moment in the past and rescue his father from the grasp of darkness.

Cosine has an unrealized potential for great eloquence and leadership, but is burdened by crippling, unresolved trauma that manifests in shyness, anxiety, lack of self-confidence, discomfort with speaking up or showing his face, etc.

Properly cultivated by a caring mentor, he could be eventually become an extraordinary force of personality among the Astronomers.

Regardless of how far his confidence has or has not developed, Cosine is righteous by nature and will always want to do the right thing. He will always suggest fighting evil, helping those in need, and respecting the rule of law.

if you know anything about cosine, you already know that these plans went off the rails

he would shift between lawful good and lawful neutral, pulled in both directions by either acts of daring heroism, or by being complicit in war crimes of the deep state

there was that balladeer who made art of him, i guess

this was pretty cool

he converted to izdu so the priest would bless his homework

cosine's first horror mystery

the early astronomers had a lot of great scenes

so did our friendly neighbors, the early banda rossa

we don't talk about the parrot

spoiler: he laughed

they didn't laugh, though, something far worse happened here

the greatest of all inventions...

...wielded with great purpose...

cosine's early career really didn't go well

but he did his best

i do need baublium. and licenses. wanna know why? i have a dream! that one day, every wizard in this desert will control their OWN destiny! a land of the TRULY free, damn it! a citadel of ACTION, not words! ruled by STRENGTH, not committee! where the law changes to suit the individual, not the other way around! where power and justice are back where they belong: in the hands of spellcasters! where every mage is free to think, to act, for himself! fuck all these limp-dick legates and chicken-shit scribes! fuck this 24/7 bellow spew of trivia and celebrity bullshit! fuck "cinquefoil pride!" fuck asterabadi! fuck all of it! the sultanate is diseased. rotten to the core. there's no saving it. we need to pull it out by the roots! wipe the slate clean! BURN IT DOWN! and from the ashes, a new caliphate will be born. evolved, but untamed! the weak will be purged, and the strongest will thrive! free to live as they see fit, they will make ephia's well GREAT AGAIN!

soundtrack not related to the rest of this obituary

some other stuff happened, i guess

velan forever

a lot of old faces

the shade is serious business

cosine having a bad time #23662856

the shade is very serious business

the shade is very, very serious business

vergal mendista had a lot of style but don't tell estellise i said that

we don't talk about the oration slab

bad time central

cool ghost stuff

we don't talk about the polycule

boutta turn in a quest to sergeant rennik for 30 silver

in retrospect it makes a lot of sense that necromancers and brookers would refuse our benevolent protection, given that we'd have killed them anyway for being necromancers and bnrookers

that was less fine.

perhaps my favorite faction base of all time

could cosine hate any two people in this world more than mari and qari? no. no he could not.

the krak was hopping, made me happy to see.

we do not talk about the polycule

the sisterhood of the dweeb, gathered together in russian nesting doll formation

wow sergeant kinney, lord velstra let you have two adrians?

eagle's mount is so stupidly pretty

weekly saturday night showdown

cosine the world-eater

the foe returns: condottiero azimi

oppenheimer didn't do it alone

this guy flexed on cosine so hard man you don't even know

long live the king

what's that, miss oppenheimer, we need more uranium?

seems fine

forget about blood aliens, watch out for mind chickens

war

peace

meetings

destiny

selsi you seem to have gained some weight

definitely wasn't

proof of concept

it wasn't serious actually

it was fine actually

warning: qa'im may have more giant robots than pictured in this dream quest

only top healthcare for our nadiri

some meeting about how much we hate elves

what a night

the fam

tuesday afternoon exorcism

some guy

you heard it here

damn it, feo

our boy oscar

it would be so sad if you destroyed the sand gate

black ops

spoiler: it was not fine

liberation day

popular tourist destination

xon... xon, please...

epitome of the class fantasy

our faith in ibn ghalish

revolutionary techniques being invented right now

justice never sleeps, never blinks

justice rides shiny and chrome into valhalla!!!

ffs xon

fire may not solve everything, but it solves a lot of things

let us take a moment to appreciate how much bigger lynneth's statue is

bottom, 7787, colorized

completely normal assembly

plati plix, hero

normal place everyone will go to

tulpa

majestic

paranoia

vacation

confronting evil

facing death

tasting defeat

gathering strength

Moonlighter

Sem

Bearic

No one is left to save us from piano djinn now.

Phoebe

The curtain of night
The lark of the morning
The end of a rotting dream

Ziya

thegn

IKeepForgettingMyUserName

One of my favourite PCs. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but it was so much fun how his own paranoia would infect Lightdew's and lead to some very far out theories.

Blue41

The prologue has ended.

RIP to a real one. Our PC's had a constantly complicated relationship that made interactions always fun to play out.

Also. Hypotenuse?

VanillaPudding

Great job Stranger. Cosine was a real pillar of the setting for a very long time and truly set the tone for the entire faction of Astronomers!

Pandip

Epic, incredible, absolutely marvelous. A mainstay of the setting. A character to be remembered for decades. We'll be talking about his schemes and actions for ages.

I'm kind of heartbroken.

Great job.

LoveLess

Easy To Remember

Didn't interact with Cosine much, but I think it's plenty clear from the reaction to the news - in this thread and otherwise - and the fact that you made an obituary when you rarely do, that he meant a lot and made an impact. Great work and I enjoyed the wild time capsule of screenshots a bunch.

BigCook

the eternal foe, gone so soon. rest in peace king cosine

Zickery

setting cornerstone
rip