Paladin Companion Consecration

Started by Random_White_Guy, July 23, 2014, 04:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Random_White_Guy

I know the horse thing is silly and was rightfully overtaken and removed but I find myself curious about the potential for a Paladin Companions. Righteous and holy animals, potentially infused with planar powers like Hell Hounds but Celestial Hounds,etc to aid in their holy crusades.

There's a finite list of paladin deities and I don't know how annoying or cool it would be to script but I would think something along the lines of a makeshift ritual with limited per day applications could be awesome.

Something like d20 + Paladin level + Consecration allowing a chance for creating a 1-use "Ritual Relic" per reset. Naturally it can fail if the dice is not in your favor or if your paladin is not deemed "Pious" enough for such a boon.

As a result they get a deity thematic animal based upon the different auspices of their deity that they sometimes appear in as a celestial servitor and aid. Could be an RP tool to show miracles of faith, could be limited mechanical tool to aid when overwhelmed and need divine aid against your foes, or similar.

A small part of my just loves the imagery of a Paladin of Nobanion beset and some giant HOTG vfx porting in a Celestial Lion to aid in saving the day against the gruesome underdark madness as it tears into hook-horrors. (The Mountain Cat of EFUA/M, a stark white lioness against the backdrop of the darkness)

A brilliant burst of the Undeath to Death VFX as an ilmateri Dove (A seagull with the Glowing Gold VFX) acting a beacon for an incoming war party of righteous zealots to give under-sieged innocents a sign that reinforcements are coming.

Dinky little flavorful things that may not even be worth the suggestion but I just thought it'd be a neat addition.

The ritual relic creation wouldn't be auto-success every time unless the Paladin is highly devout (A way for DMs to reward highly dedicated paladins beyond alignment shift or flavorful gear) ensuring that the most dutiful servants allow the creation.

A large difficulty with divine based classes is it's hard to make them appear stand-out amongst the wizards, potion chuggers, and skeptics in the dark times of EFU:R. Symbolism, animalistic worship, and more are a large part of religion and it allows for a somewhat more Divine showing than "Hey my sword glows".

Just a thought!
[11:23 PM] Howlando: Feel free LealWG
[11:23 PM] Howlando: I'll give you a high five + fist bump tip

[1:34 AM] BigOrcMan: RwG, a moment on the lips, forever on the hips

Echigo

LG Turtle of Righteous Fury!

I totally endorse this!
meth

TheTurboNerd

Paladins getting a holy dog or something would be sweet.

cmenden

This sounds really cool and I'd love to see it too!

Pandip

I'm nervous enough already about people playing paladins that I'm a bit wary of this idea, just because it seems like something that should be apped for or  somehow earned. Paladins certainly aren't mechanically poor outside of the fairly rigid roleplay standards that are set before they become featless fighters with high saves.

Stranger

If balance is a concern, these holy animals can be a roleplaying tool on the same level as EFU's original familiar system.

Knight Of Pentacles

Vote for a Pal system.   Paladin Pals.  Dogs, cats, monkeys, squirrels etc... Nothing mechanically wack. Just Pals.