Using Listen as though it were Spot

Started by Ladocicea, November 02, 2014, 07:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ladocicea

So apparently there's a new craze for investing highly in Listen skill and then just behaving as though you've spotted characters when the simplest glance at your skill sheet and at the h/ms of the other character reveals that it is not only highly improbable for you to have spotted them and highly likely for you to have heard them, but in most cases mechanically impossible for you to have seen them, even taking modifying factors into account (light, movement, distance, etc)

If you "see" a character that is translucent, you have only heard them, and yet I never see anyone roleplaying having heard anyone else, only spotting them.

Your deception becomes even more readily apparent when you consider there is nothing indicating that the PC hiding has been spotted or has simply dropped out of stealth. The only way to know someone is stealthing is if they are translucent and therefore only 'heard'. Thus, when you announce to everyone that you can "see" someone hiding and behave as though you have spotted them, you are showing me that you are cheating.

If there is any doubt in the matter I will ask you to produce a screenshot demonstrating that the PC you're claiming to spot was in fact opaque and not translucent.

I know who you are, you know who you are, stop doing this.