Manual of the Blade (And Other Musings)

Started by Whyleth, March 09, 2023, 04:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whyleth

Manual of the Blade (And Other Musings)
Isevara Galayn

~*~*~

Through Izdu, knowledge and insight is found.
May insight be recorded so it is not lost to time itself.

~*~*~

Those reading this may find it confusing that Izdu is praised for a manual on bladework over Agaslakku. But this is not for the purpose of promoting violence and bloodshed, it is to preserve art. One of the finer crafts of my kin, the elven longsword.

In my eleven decades of life thus far, five of those have been dedicated to the blade alone and yet, I still consider myself mediocre at best, as perfection is a goal of fools. Each cut, each deflection and false edge, time and time over, in practice until they found their own meaning, and one by one, came together, until even, the blade itself knew it by heart and form.

To hold a blade is to understand and hold the balance of all things in your hands. It is to feel weight against weight and know the decisions between life and death.

Each time your blade reaches its target, know it has the potential to change the life of another soul. Once you understand that balance, that dance, an elegant weapon simply becomes another tool of bloodshed.

If you cannot fathom the ability to hold such decisions into your hands with bloodied metal, I suggest taking up a line of work like my brother and gaze at the stars. The cosmos is infinite and cares not for the weight of our matters.

~*~*~

Look at those that you dance with in the eye. Those who dance with you and those who you are to cut with your blade. Have regard to the movements of all around you, for you are to move through them with light feet and fluid movements. Your feet should be steady, ready to walk on whatever surface with complete balance.

Emphasize agility and precision over strength, quick strikes. If you are choosing to upheave balance, do so quickly. Move with intent, do not stumble. To stumble is to die.

~*~*~

[hide] Original Images: https://www.reddit.com/r/drawyourweapons/comments/pfs6j3/elven_swords_rough_sketches/[/hide]