Ziggurat

Started by Letsplayforfun, December 03, 2008, 04:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Letsplayforfun

Did you know what is a Ziggurat?

At first i thought is was just a name, as my babylonian history is a little fuzzy...

Then i watched a silly episode of Stargate, and guess what, SG1 was locked up in a Ziggurat...

Pup

Ziggurats are best known for being built by ancient South American cultures such as the Maya and Inca.  Early Egyptian pyramids were ziggurats before they started building the now well-known pyramids.  Mesopotamian cultures also built them, and many believe the fabled "Hanging Gardens of Babylon" were built upon an enormous ziggurat.
"So what else is on your mind besides 100 proof women, 90 proof whisky, and 14 karat gold?"
"Amigo, you just wrote my epitaph."

"Maybe there's just one revolution.  The good guys against the bad guys.  The question is, who are the good guys?"

~The Professionals

PanamaLane

There really isn't much of a difference between a Ziggurat and a Pyramid, but if you really care to know, a Ziggurat is a "stepped" Pyramid structure that also has either a ramp or additional set of steps built into it for people to move from one level to another.

Secutor

The Mesopotamian ziggurat Ur looks almost nothing like the Egyptian pyramids of Giza (which usually come to mind when one says "pyramid") though it has the same tapering shape. Ur's tiers are fewer and far between and it's design is much less symmetrical. The Ymphian ziggurat resembles the Mayan pyramid Chichen Itza much more closely in my opinion.

SkillFocuspwn

I played Warcraft III.

dragonfire9000

All hail Mexican History in fifth grade!

Kotenku

Quote from: SkillFocuspwn;99268I played Warcraft III.

Metro_Pack

Ha ha, I know who the four people who admit to not knowing what a zigguat is are