Rant: What I miss about Ortred and Montezzi

Started by Luke Danger, March 26, 2009, 01:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke Danger

Call me sentimental, but I miss Caddies' char, Governor Ortred, being the ruler of Ymph, and Rinaldo Montezzi, self-appointed Prince of the Lower. Maybe it's because I like the conflict that sparks from player factions when one gains power, rather than players VS a DM faction(Spellguard I'm looking at you!).

With Ortred, you could feel the heavy tension, even though it was drowned out by Red Elient (thus making people drop it). I loved how he seemed invincible, seem impossible to tackle head on.

I liked it that it was a -player- who could affect the Server directly. Admitidly, I am still a bit sore from Galleous' attempt and the Malatesta-backed government by Ortred (it hit me pretty sorely given certain factors involved, but I've gotten over it mostly). But I loved that it was a player who was determining the server, a great RPer and brilliant player in general. I loved how Ortred gave orders like a conscription and such to fight in the war, and (I can't beleive I'm admiting this), but I miss the paperwork uproar his call of conscription made (honestly, we couldn't track half of the people who showed). I loved how the PC's and oh, a few key plot-line NPC's were the bulk of the defense in the final battle of Red Elient, the Second Battle of the Webbed Woods, rather than a bunch of NPC cannon fodder like the Colonial Guard NPC's. How the Second Battle of Fort Senusper was mostly a PC attempt (Lead by no less than Ortred himself). And finally, he held the city in a grip, personally getting involved against trouble makers. He's one of the -few- PC's I've seen get an entry in the important characters of the server, a testiment to a single PC changing the server.

Onto Montezzi, it was a well done faction, it had great players, great characters (Rinaldo Montezzi himself, Semaj Lemalian, Elizabeth Ravenlock, Ghyrrt, Jaques Montezzi, Duke Waylon (of Savagry), Laith, and so many others that I can't list them), I utterly -miss- the faction, even though for most of my Underdark career I -hated- them, admitidly a bit IRL as well as consideribly ICly. I still can't think of what faction caused such major changes in the server as a -entirely PC faction with no DM faction backage-. Montezzi was a staple of what I hope the server becomes, PC factions being a dominant, while DM factions also being dominant and a bit more powerful, but still contendable. Several of the most prominant PC factions (The Mithrilsoul Dwarves, the Greycloaks) and a DM faction (The Seekers) were wiped out / nearly wiped out entirely. It was a testament to what a PC faction can do if they put themselves to it.

I've been bottling it up too long. The server was at it's best when these two were around, and damnit if I'm not sentimental and missing the good times with these PC's. I only hope that the next great PC faction is not far off, because to be honest, the server's strength -is- these PC factions. When it's got PC's running the server (obviously not litterally, the DM's are, as DM's, obliged to stop things eventually) ICly, than it's great, you can often -see- these PC's, and I think it's the PC's walking around and getting personally involved that -gave- the server such strength.

*sighs* I've ranted long enough, discuss or agree or not, I'm no poet so I suspect this won't be very beautiful, but I tried to say what I meant. If I caused offense or poured salt on old wounds by accident, I'll say 'sorry' in advance for that, I only had to say this about EfU. It's something that made it a -very- worthwhile server to play on.

Mp3

I agree but if you think that is when the server was at its peak thn you should make the next montezzi tbh

Sandstorm

PCs certainly have a role in things to come. I feel a lot of tension, but that could just be because of the specific niche I'm in, and not the server as a whole. =(

Addendum!

People always suffer from rosy retrospection, in that they remember all the good times of the past with none of the bad times. I remember tons of people ranting about how 'terrible' Montezzi was. Also, if you'd like more tension, you can either start some of join a faction that has some.

Thomas_Not_very_wise

I look back and shake my head and think How Caddies ruined it all.

putrid_plum

A player or player faction doesn't make a server, it's the collective community.  If you feel these aspects of the game were fun then step up and form a faction or make a PC that does such a thing.  I personally dislike the Montezzi period of efu and would say simply that it was NOT the best time.  These players just proved that you can be anything and instead.  Stop waiting for it and act!

Secutor

Quote from: Sandstorm;116897People always suffer from rosy retrospection, in that they remember all the good times of the past with none of the bad times. I remember tons of people ranting about how 'terrible' Montezzi was. Also, if you'd like more tension, you can either start some or join a faction that has some.

This is the end-all-be-all.

Joe Desu

We all know you have a Montezzi-fetish, but in my few years here, they were around for a short period of time.  I am glad to hear that you are not stuck on Montezzi only as you now have an Otred-fetish.  It is good to not be beholden to only one at such young age and it is good to play the field.  They are not the only fish in the sea.

Most good characters are like the cherry blossoms, they bloom for a time, an awesome albeit short time, then are gone.  They are not stale old characters that go on and on and on, like mine usually are.

Just go with the flow and accept change for what it is.
I am sure there will find another enemy to deal with soon enough.

"A man must swallow a toad every morning to be sure of not meeting with anything more revolting in the day ahead." - Nicolas Chamfort

Now have you swallowed a toad today!?

Caddies

I've always been a big fan of player factions, and this is why the Guild system rocks so much.

The truth is that few if any player factions will ever rise to the prominence that Montezzi acquired at its peak, due to various reasons. Yet, consider me very happily surprised if someone proves me wrong; that faction was utterly awesome.

On the other hand, I think PCs can -definitely- still become as powerful as Ortred. Given the situation now it would simply take more time, though. A lack of a government and defense force that could protect itself made it somewhat easier to accomplish at the time.

Ultimately though, EFU has always been at its best not when one single player faction or one single character has been dominant, but when ALL characters are pushing their own agendas silmulatenously; from the maelstrom of clashing characters and agendas comes the real excitement. So the more characters pursing individual goals at the same time, the better.

You could have the best agenda ever conceived but if everybody is playing boring PCs who get stuck in the quest loop, you may as well be playing single player. For EFU to be as fun as it can be it must be a communal effort.

DangerousDan

Everything was better in the past, and the present scares and angers me.

Listen in Silence

morva

caddies is the man. But im sick of these 'I miss posts'

I can has fun?

I honestly miss the old setting less and less as time goes on. I think EfU:A is stronger than it's ever been. Things are coming together nicely with the player factions, and there's just about as much content now as there was in the old setting, or close to it. The server feels big now. The wilderness feels wild and foreboding. Give it a few months and you will be having too much fun to care about the old setting.

Snoteye

Bring back EfU: Alpha.

petey512

I think there will be another Player-based faction rising to noticable power -very- soon.

So not to worry!
"Proving concerned parents from the 80's wrong, just in time for them to be dead. "

Daemonic Daz

Bunge Sympathizers rise to power!