Hagkir of Kingarhd -- huscarl to the Tempered.

Started by Vagrant Savant, December 08, 2015, 12:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vagrant Savant

Ordinant
Thane of the Spire
Withered Lite
Dwatcher
Huscarl to the Tempering
Seizer of the Destroyer’s Torchblade
Master of Unhelpful 8 Wisdom Grunts

Hagkir never wanted to be Thane, much like Falgrim and probably Madoc, but circumstances saw him in it. And at first, even I as a player didn’t want Hagkir to be Thane, because for over a year previous, I had been playing him as an “ambient” character who although had no real impact on the world or anyone's pc's, was nonetheless regularly in the backdrop. It’s fascinating to simply observe the happenings of an entire year from the perspective of one pc. It fills your character with old superstitions, reminisces, and grand tales to tell for any who ask. The whole server develops its own history in the eyes of your pc.

Although I’ve played for very short amounts of time back in the Mistlocke era, I consider Hagkir to be my first character. And at large, my first pc in NWN multiplayer. I made Hagkir with no idea of what I was doing (from both a roleplay and game mechanic spectrum), but when he joined the Tempering, I was able to piece together something vaguely resembling a proper character, with some small Dwarf Fortress inspirations.

Even though his pseudo-Withering was very enigmatic in nature (and thus I didn't get to play it out as much as I'd have liked), I appreciate having been given the chance of carrying around that dark little secret.

SCREENSHOT TIME.
Some of these are unfortunately before I knew what the Hide UI button was. I had a lot of screenshots, but most of them were poorly taken and/or retrospectively not very interesting to outside perspectives. Here's the better of them.
[hide=Dwarf and Tempered stuff!]My first Tempered moot. We set fire to a bunch of monster loot and trophies atop the Spire.

Some Tempered questing that got spiced. Unfortunately, I don't have any screenshots of the fun tomb crawling that was beyond the portal.

With Maddox Ironhelm and Klaengr Rorikson, in a quest we wiped on. "Fist of Maddox" epic was inspired by this.

Tempered chant origins! Hagkir'd whisper it on occasion, long after the prime of the pc faction.

Kurginshale's ritual moot! Another epic, "Kurginshale's Blood and Wind" was inspired by it.

Meeting the king of the original Dorf Fortress of Tam Khlerau. Dunak called himself a king, but Thormund and Hagkir only recognized him as a Thane.

Aracknar, Groa, and I smashing up the lair that briefly before belonged to Yrashnok. Inspired the "Son of Avarice" epic.

Bringing Vrarikorg's corpse to Tam Khlerau, an ogre who killed Thormund Bjornsson. The procurement was a lot less impressive, though.

Camping with kinnies!

Thane-crowning!

[/hide]
[hide=Watcher and Upper shenanigans]One my earliest moments as a Watcher was publicly beating an Ordinant. It made an appearance in a pro-human pc newspaper, too.

I got to tag along with Edgin Crane for a bit of DM spice, where we found watchers in an illegal beetle fighting ring.

I had plenty of encounters with Gorbengolt, and lots of drug-addled vision quests.

But, most of the time, Hagkir just drank at the ginhouse during patrol breaks. Or drank outside it, after it got destroyed. A pitiful bit of habit.

Couldn't get Vrarikorg's head mantled beside Yrashnok in the Grotto, but Hagkir often stopped by there to make sure Yrasnok didn't get lonely.
[/hide]
[hide=Miscellaneous shots]My very first DM quest ever had much buggy hilarity in it.

Munt events are awesome.

Hernt being his usual heroic self while petrified.

Found some mob called "Bonetacular" dead in the Underdark.

Delving in an old beholder hive with Dorissa.

A Lowerdark march with Paul Weston and people who were foolish enough to join us.

Romps and roves with Bunwhal.

During DM pauses, you get bored enough to look for cool angles.

A sighting of a very beautiful speciman of orc.

Hagkir made a lot of dumb wildling sendings when trying to learn their "code talk."

[/hide]
[hide=Loot]That dinky handaxe Hagkir always used and put alchemist fire on.

I unfortunately don't have a recent shot of the armor, when I redyed it and apped to make it only wearable by dwarves, but here it is when Ulry first "crafted" it. It was just renamed Sanctuary-fitted plate, but I'd have taken that armor to the grave.

Carried lollipops everywhere cooked by the former Dwarf Fortress chef (Samantha Greaves), and Hagkir very vainly tried to unlock the recipe secret to these delicious treats himself. He also put a "mandate" on lollipops in the Dwarf Fortress when he became Thane of it.

I found these potions from a DM quest, and wanted to somehow incorporate it into one of Groa Halle's rituals, but that never happened. I kept one as a souvenir.

Here's my true epic loot. It can be read here.
[/hide]

A very specific, special thanks to Kotenku (Gerhardus Gunnvaldurson), who played the dwarf that originally pointed Hagkir towards becoming Tempered, and throwing me into a long string of fun as a result. I don’t know what would’ve happened if we never met, but it wouldn’t have been anywhere near as awesome.

It’s been an insane first impression of EFU, a server I hope to follow for a very long time. And you all, try playing a Watcher if you haven’t. It’s an absurdly fun way to interact with the rest of the playerbase, an easy path towards putting yourself in the tempest of meta-plots, and ripe with potential personalities -- not just law-conscious pc's. Abuse your authority to your own ends and those of your allies, for the greater good, lesser evil, or plainly selfish desires.

Bearic

Sorry we didn't get to die battling hordes of foes in a last ditch effort somewhere, at least together.

Fun stuff!

Black_TopHat

Hagkir, what a damn cool bastard. I remember seeing him over so many character and he always had a moment to talk to just about any PC. Really felt like a solid stone in the Server. Real sad to see him go, I'll miss ya man.

Also, screw you for that HRNT picture

goate

I much enjoyed Hagkir over the course of three PCs - he was, in my opinion, a wonderful happy-go-lucky Dwarf PC.   Yeah, he was usually background, but if you're going to play casual, do it Hakgir's way.  He didn't log in frequently, but when he did he made everything more colorful.

I probably enjoyed him the most when I played Farford.  Reliable as fuck, and we rocked that paperwork!
[hide=Rock that paperwork!][/hide]

Yamo B. There

Pouring out a keg for my dwarf homie. Hagkir was a class act.

efuincarnate

And thus, the final chapter in the Long history of the Doomed Legion, the Tempering, the Dawnrise Brigade, Beardhammer Hold and finally the line of Thane Hagkir of Kingarhd, comes to a close. You witnessed an enormous amount  of History in EFU, both Dwarven and not.  Few can say they have, on one PC, witnessed the events, and perpetrated the deeds, that Hagkir had. Kudos Vagrant. You were the cornerstone in the foundation of the Dwarven narrative in efu.  I had no idea that was your first pc, let alone first nwnpw pc.  Always thought you were some vet from the original efu, playing under a psuedo-handle. Really well done.  Good luck on topping your first go! Looking forward to the attempt!

Starmonger

good job Vagrant!

Hagkir was an awesome character to interact with on multiple characters.

(Though I am a bit happy that ariana's munt episode was also screened by other people :D)

Diz-e

WOW man, sad to hear he's gone. Many a good time were had indeed. Damn, now I really gotta put Groa's thread together....

And I say well done as your first PC as well - riding it out until the end like a pro.

TheTacoWizard

A tremendously great job on Hagkir! I knew Hagkir has been on EFU for a while but for your first character? That is just amazing. I have had many interactions with you on both of my favorite PC's I've had on EFU and it is great to see you've had such a great impact on the server. You have done a great close to the whole Dawnrise Brigade and made it last this long. Well done and I cannot wait to see what other great character you will make next.

Ebok

<3 Hagkir was great fun to have around, and his presence allowed us to do some pretty crazy things. Happy to see you got to see so much more to his story.

Tala

I have many fond memories of interactions with Hagkir and he was a blast to have around. I really appreciate players who stick with their PCs whatever happens, and let them evolve in different directions.

A truly excellent first PC

PanamaLane

Awesome times man, enough can't be said about the respect Weston had for Hagkir. Its nice to see a screen shot with a skinny Weston too...insanity! A real pity we won't be sharing gin any longer. Good luck with your next character!

ShutSulfer

Really enjoyed my meetings with hagkir good work. Was always fun to find him wandering about.