The Tome of Torment!

Started by Pug, October 25, 2018, 09:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pug

Hey! I hope this is the right place to place this thread.
I don’t know if this is the type of thing you do.
But during my rabbit hole of pc research... I found this thread on the most sacred tome of the Church of Ilmater. A relic used by the Order of the Golden Cup. Which is who I have been playing as!
Also I’m so new I am uncertain if this item has been suggested/done before in the past.

So Sister Mary would love to recover that tome. I expect this type of thing probably wouldn’t happen. And on the off chance it did. It wouldn’t be easy for me and might take a long time. Who knows... I’m  But i thought it sounded like a fun quest line we could start. Plan a big holy crusade. Many pc’s in the name of light and glory and all that jazz! Haha I even made up a bit of backstory for it :)

Anyways here’s the source material:
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Tome_of_Torment

IC sales pitch:

I was born in Camara, at the feet of the Damaran Gate fortress, home of the Order of the Golden Cup. Reknowned healers of the Church of Ilmater. My father Darion, a local militiamen, used to tell me that the completed wall stretches for more then three miles, stands thirty-five feet high and is twenty feet thick!
My father was betrayed by his commanding officer in a brutal display of nepotism and elitism. The commanders son had killed someone in a bar brawl, and made it out for Pa to take the fall for him. Such horrible sinners, if only I knew then what I knew now.... as I was saying... It was the worst day of my life, as I was then sold into secret slavery. I will not go into the details of my time in chains, but needles to say... it still chills me to the bones to think of it.
I was rescued from my shackles by a Cleric of Ilmater known as Brother Humphrey. But the years before it, was when I truly learnt to Endure. I was offered a place in the cloister... and my new life began.....

I spent many years in study, and the Church, as you can imagine being such a shuttered society.... is rather... shall we say... gossipy on the inside. The hottest topic always was the search to reclaim The Tome of Torment. Ilmater gave visions of the Tome to his faithful, showing it to be kept within a dark, stone-walled room somewhere in Faerûn and being studied by someone with hairy, muscular, male human hands. Recovering it became a mission for all followers of Ilmater, setting them in a vigorous search across the Realms, and their probing efforts provoked conflict with those who wished their privacy or had something else to hide. A 40,000gp reward was offered for the return of the complete and undamaged Tome of Torment at either the House of the Broken God in Keltar or the House of Holy Suffering in Mussum. At least twice, fraudsters delivered fake Tomes to the House of the Broken God and we’re punished for their trickery. After so many years of searching without any signs, beyond the visions. People started to assume that the tome must be somewhere Deep Underground. However none of the expeditions that went below ever returned.

So many noble souls lost to the dark.... and now... here I am, my turn down here. With so many people falling ill due to starvation and so many adventurers in need of wounds fixing. I must endure these hardships. I shall suffer so others will not.
As one of the last surviving members of our Church, I declare HOLY CRUSADE! I will find whatever den the Tome resides in, and we shall use it to tip the balance in our war against evil in the dark. So many could be saved with.... The Tome of Torment.

I miss you Pa....

If you suffer In His name, Ilmater is there to support you.

From the Journals of Sister Mary, Priest of the Order of the Golden Cup.

derkot

http://www.efupw.com/forums/index.php?topic=687937.0

Here, read about applications. I think what you left here... It is more describes like personal plot for what you may apply. Or in other case just ask from DMs in discord or on forum more about it.

Also, Tala is leading god-theme and relic-theme plot what I think also will be interested for you and your character.
http://www.efupw.com/forums/index.php?topic=690044.msg698427#new

Радостное одиночество.

.iso

Having things IG to work towards is great, but getting them is primarily an IC process; what makes a character or a goal (I want this book!) interesting is how it involves other players, and only by creating a good story with other characters will you have a chance of getting it.

First, think about some interesting goals that are achievable and (this is most important) don't require DMs. They could be explore the dark and search distant exotic locations (go do obscure quests and explore with other players). They could be fight evil to prove your holiness (get involved with pvp and create fun rivalries). They could be set up an interesting, proactive church that is the voice of good in a largely evil world! As long as it involves other players and creates more stories, it's good.

Next, post in personal character notes that you're looking for some cool relic of ilmater, with a -brief- description of it in case the DMs are unfamiliar with it, and say what you'll be doing to get it and how it will be fun for other players.

After this, all you can do is wait. Keep your notes updated with cool events you've organised, even bringing a group of players to some dangerous and distant locale is worth mentioning, and sit back. You might not get it immediately, so be patient, and trust the DMs to decide. You might not even get it, but hopefully you'll have fun playing with a purpose and having something to work towards is always good imo!

I hope that helps, I'll be happy to answer any questions at all.