Spellbooks!

Started by Stranger, January 08, 2019, 08:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stranger

Applying the current framework for Relic Guardians, I propose that SPELLBOOKS become standard for wizards on EFU.

While players tend to disagree on the exact issues facing a wizard, most remark that it is both incredibly powerful and mightily boring in long PvE adventures. Spellbooks can address that. Without weakening the class' ultimate potential, a spellbook system could "lock" the maximum level of spells that a wizard can cast, putting them on a permanent quest for ancient knowledge and conduits of power. Like relics, spellbooks could have particular powers that keep a wizard relevant as the hours drag on without an opportunity to rest; anything from the unlimited use of a cantrip to an extra polymorph with which to mix it up in the melee. Perhaps some emergency darkness? A special minion!

Spellbooks could be stolen, consumed for experience, and exchanged at the market. Wizards could be defined by the flavor of what lore they hold. Spellbooks could be locked to different specializations. They might further augment spells (again, using the custom spell infrastructure that Tala already put in place). Generalists might be able to use every kind of spellbook, giving new utility to a disadvantageous choice. And perhaps different situations could call for different spellbooks.

The "spell notes" system could be reimplemented, anchored to specific spellbooks that you attune yourself to rather than loose items. This might even become a requisite feature, with each spellbook having its own spell list and the wizard unable to change between them without buying a custom spellbook, but that might be a more controversial choice...

Cool wizards could perhaps even create their own signature spellbooks, or discover them in the course of legendary adventures, themed around their particular subject of research.

Et cetera.

There are many possibilities here.

Charnelist

This sounds epic.
I detest wizards, but this might change that for me.

SN

I'm commander Sheppard and this is one of my favourite suggestions in the suggestions forum!

Wench

This sounds really cool, and flavorful!
Feed me my kid cuisine meal, or I will say the F word.

if she's your girl then why does her leitmotif appear in my battle theme bro  :/

derkot

It is indeed will be good for quests and events but somehow it will need to balance for pvp.
When it comes to PvP, wizard/sorc no need walk long time no using spells. They using it quickly and as many spells as they can use. From this aspect wiz/sorc is always very powerful and such things can make them more powerful. 
Радостное одиночество.

Stranger

This came up in Discord again, with dillusionist speculating on how we can use Tala's spell customizing loot system to attach certain mechanic changes to certain spellbooks.

That feature played a prominent part in EFU:R but has gone underused since the supernova. Maybe because of complexity or obscurity?

Charnelist

Please! Yes!
Some script savant out there, I beg you, get hyped for this! I can wait!

Cruzel

keep talking and get a general consensus on how/what this should be, and if the DM's will it, I shall make it so

VanillaPudding

This was already done in years lost and did not work out so well. 

I'd support it for flavor and "perks", but not in the sense of them being stolen or limiting an already fragile class.

Deadlykate

This was done in EFU:A there was a reason it was removed. It also cripples a wizard severely if it is stolen or taken from their hands, like a bard losing his songbook except worse for a class that solely relies on spells.

Dillusionist

Spellbooks probably won't be implemented like relics, if they ever are. Much like amputations its just not really all that entertaining, and loss of casting power on a 3/4 BAB class with armor proficiency is a bit different from a 1/2 BAB class with none.

Rare tomes that can change spells in exciting or dangerous ways, maybe some day...

The Royal Groat

How many times have amputation or stealing relic that happened in all of EFU:COR?

Both seem fairly unheard of.

If they are extraordinarily rare, the fear that spellbooks be stolen probably shouldn't weigh too heavily?

If we are talking about lower-leveled relics, even up to 4, they are usually common enough (or domain-restricted) that nobody goes out of the way (consequences and all) to steal them. If we are talking about higher-level relics, like 5 or above, they are usually given as DM loots which are // OUB by or the PCs are powerful/prominent enough that trying to attack them just to steal their relics might be an impressive and respectable ambition (Sankis, Moonlighter and Alpha's RGs all come to mind).

SovietGrowlithe

I would second this idea and I think it can easily be made to only way like .1lbs or something having a major weight reduction sort of deal.
"Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem." - Joseph Stalin