Skill Focus adding Class skills

Started by Runic, January 21, 2024, 03:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Runic

As the title says but justification to follow. I think taking a Skill Focus in a skill that isn't a class skill should make it a class skill for that character. The name 'Skill Focus' implies that character has an interest in learning that skill, and by adding it to their class skills this can be better reflected through future levelling. Taking a skill focus is a feat so it's already an investment for the character.

The reasoning behind this comes mostly from looking at Oath of the Shepherd Paladins, who are expected to not harm animals, but have no real way to calm down hostile animals because AE is Ranger/Druid/Shifter only. This would also allow pure fighters to use wands if they took Skill Focus: UMD, so they wouldn't have to do a wizard or sorcerer level drop. I expect it could also lead to more interesting builds, like spellswords taking SF: Discipline, or Rangers who want to focus on the natural magics taking SF: Spellcraft. Either way, it adds interesting ways for players to add new flavour to their class. 

VanillaPudding

The Mummy Money

I like this idea to give SF: SKILL more of an appeal to take

CoffeeBean

I think this would definitely add more diversity among characters. Although, I would suggest removing skill focus tumble, spellcraft, UMD, and taunt.

Pure fighters should still drop a level into wizard or something else for their use of Wands. It comes at a cost of their perks- which is an equivalent trade in my opinion.

Tala

Runic

Aw well, no big deal. Just thought it'd be nice :)

IKeepForgettingMyUserName

Quote from: Tala on January 22, 2024, 05:15:07 PMI don't think this can be done.
Would something like applying double the rank as a skill bonus on log-in be feasible? Kind of like how rangers get a spot bonus at level 5