No real fights without tons of potions.

Started by Raposa_Fox, April 29, 2009, 05:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raposa_Fox

This thread is not to contest anything, for I am just going to put here something that bothers me, and want to hear other players' opinions, but yet, I have no ideas of a solution. The almighty warriors and heroes of the server, seem to be nothing without their potions. Even those who claim to be of the 'Old Ways' (which includes no usage or dependant of magic to live) drink tons of arcane potions to aid them in the combat. It is like "Yes, I am brave, and I fight well, but let me drink my potion collection before this challange, because I am nothing without them". This makes all of them look silly, it is like the Gummie Bears and Their Gummy Berry Magical Potion. So, techinaclly the skills of a warrior, or might of a barbarian, matters little, for the fight victors seem to be those who are richer, have more resources and used the right potions at the right time, it is a fight of resources. All this, in mechanics, seem to be very necessary, but in the RP, just make the warriors look weak, and those caliming themselves of 'The Old Ways' liars and hypocrats.

Random_White_Guy

Awesome use of a Gummy Bear Analogy, imo.

The fact of the matter is NWN is designed, and EFU in particular, for consumables to be used. Making a character who never used potions would be an interesting challenge, but a very difficult one at that.
[11:23 PM] Howlando: Feel free LealWG
[11:23 PM] Howlando: I'll give you a high five + fist bump tip

[1:34 AM] BigOrcMan: RwG, a moment on the lips, forever on the hips

Verybigliar

Who ever got more stats and bonuses, either via gear or pots and spells, will win.

Or not, if you got more in numbers!

artfuldodger99

PVP, unless its the invis gank style, will often be who drinks fastest, mixed with pre-buffing and PC level. Not sure that can be avoided.

As you will see from our more experienced players, when they post screenshots, almost all of their primary shortcuts are potions, rarely a wand or item in there. It is a basic of PVP and PVE that if you chug a range of specific potions in the correct order your chances of survival are far greater, in alomst all situations.

In regard to people RP'ing that they "don't use/like magic" etc. if your PC would call them out on it, do so, call them a hypocrite and liar IG.

Nihm

This has always annoyed me as well.  Somewhat like if professional athletes all injected themselves with 10 types of performance enhancers for a contest, openly, and then the winner claims it had nothing to do with his being able to afford more and better ones than the others.

This is just silly.

Raposa_Fox

Quote from: Nihm;122743This has always annoyed me as well.  Somewhat like if professional athletes all injected themselves with 10 types of performance enhancers for a contest, openly, and then the winner claims it had nothing to do with his being able to afford more and better ones than the others.

This is just silly.

Finally someone that agrees with me! Yeah, I just posted that because it bothers me, and I wanted to know if I was the only one.

Raposa_Fox

Quote from: artfuldodger99;122742... In regard to people RP'ing that they "don't use/like magic" etc. if your PC would call them out on it, do so, call them a hypocrite and liar IG.

Yeah, I usually do that... And they usually claim the need in extreme circumnstances. Oh well ...

Ebok

It's InCharacter. Treat it how you will.

Characters that don't use magic, healing, buffing, or otherwise, will not survive most tasks. The game is designed in a world full of magic and fantasy creatures. Without making use of some of the worlds natural and magical defenses, you'll not hope to survive against those fantastic monsters.

In my honest opinion, one should not forsake /magic/-- Its like giving up air. Who tells the war-priest not to bless their fight, when the god of war may be watching? I mean, seriously.

Letsplayforfun

The use of consumables is on old theme, that is very hard to balance.

The lack of IC consistency is another, a touchy one, too. Most people probably agree to your post, but then again, staying lvl3 all the time sucks.

Raposa_Fox

Quote from: Ebok;122747It's InCharacter. Treat it how you will.

In my honest opinion, one should not forsake /magic/-- Its like giving up air. Who tells the war-priest not to bless their fight, when the god of war may be watching? I mean, seriously.

Actually you may have misunderstood me. I am talking about -potions- . All the silly potion buffing before engaging important combats. The warpriest's blessings are part of his own skill, as the battle sorcerer's blood power, or the wizard, etc. It's like you can shove potions into a chicken's mouth and make it into a war machine.

AfroMullet

QuoteThis has always annoyed me as well. Somewhat like if professional athletes all injected themselves with 10 types of performance enhancers for a contest, openly, and then the winner claims it had nothing to do with his being able to afford more and better ones than the others.

This is just silly.

Professional athletes do not depend on random die rolls.

Hey guys, what alignment is batman?

Verybigliar

Batman is pretty much chaotic, I would like to say good, but I would go for neutral.

He does not follow order, but rather pursues his own sense of justice for somekind ideal of good, which sometimes isn't exactly what goes on.

I'd throw chaotic neutral with points towards good :P

Winston Martin

Quote from: Reposa_FoxThe almighty warriors and heroes of the server, seem to be nothing without their potions. So, techinaclly the skills of a warrior, or might of a barbarian, matters little, for the fight victors seem to be those who are richer, have more resources and used the right potions at the right time, it is a fight of resources.

I'm curious to hear how you think these warriors became rich and got those potions in the first place, and where skill comes into play from clicking on your enemy once and letting the engine roll dice.

Raposa_Fox

Quote from: Winston Martin;122762I'm curious to hear how you think these warriors became rich and got those potions in the first place, and where skill comes into play from clicking on your enemy once and letting the engine roll dice.

There are several ways to become rich, and stocking up on potions, most of them are powerquesting, and stealing loot OOCly, without even emoting it, which is something I see very often. So the way to get it, is also mechanical. People can even get patricianship status that way, without even have to RP for the title. But that is another subject.

As for the skill, I am talking about the character's skill, not the player. The player skills would be just of using feats or skills, like kd, taunt, etc, at the right time, but still, I was talking about the character. Who seems to be considered "A GREAT WARRIOR" after drinking magical potions, made by a wizard.

Pup

The vast majority of normal "duels" are without potions or spells, so skill at leveling and building comes into play far more than affording potions.  As for "all-out duels" there are tons of ways beyond just potions to get a pretty wicked advantage if you just think about it.  I had a char that won a lot of various types of duels with a wide variety of techniques, items, and strategies.

And if it's just regular old kill-or-be-killed PvP, then there are countless more ways to be effective.
"So what else is on your mind besides 100 proof women, 90 proof whisky, and 14 karat gold?"
"Amigo, you just wrote my epitaph."

"Maybe there's just one revolution.  The good guys against the bad guys.  The question is, who are the good guys?"

~The Professionals