A Critique of Law

Started by 1dboy, March 19, 2024, 12:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1dboy

In my time in Ephia's Well, there has been a notable trend of societal grievance forcing laws upon the legates, in order to stem the attempt of ambiguous crime or ineffective legality of some questions. However, there are some laws that should be brought to question and be critiqued for redundancy.

Notably, I surmise that there are multiple laws that were installed, and are now overlooked or not even utilized in any sense of the matter.

For example;

'Interference with Jurispendence' is almost impossible to prove, as there is no means to prove bribery behind closed doors, fake testimonies behind closed doors, and coerced speech during trial. In fact, this seems like a slight jab against societal norms of charity, which can be construed either as a bribe, or a gift, depending on which magistrate is overseeing the matter.

'Unauthorized Descent' is almost completely pointless, as there is a 'trespass law' that can fit the bill easily, yet for some reason there is specific denotations given to the Astronomers for little to no reason- no doubt filled as part of their votes for some sitting legate. In what capacity would the Astronomers, who cannot even bring a person to trial legally, would ever be able to enforce this law?

'Kidnapping' is a pointless redundancy upon the law, when there is assault, reckless endangerment, and otherwise to place upon the suspect. If anything, kidnapping will almost always be tied with assault, and if a Janissary of the Fourth cannot properly articulate a kidnapping without this law in place, then they shouldn't be a Janissary.

'Election tampering' is the most egregious law upon the stele, imposing not a Absterabidian government, but allowing not legates to sit upon the seats, but dictators. This was done to protect the legates themselves in fear of when elections come. If people have the dinars to throw around to buy votes, then let them. It only emboldens our city and provides ample amounts of dinars, instead of stalling it until after an election. And capital? That's quite insane. Let people partake in the system as they please. Voting only comes once a month, and this law denies anyone the opportunity in the two weeks of campaigning a chance to partake, especially new refugees.

'Illegal Worship and Practice' doesn't even define who these supposed cultists are supposed to be worshipping. Anything that is heretical? Are we considering the faith of the Dome heretical? It's not a part of the Wheel. We have no obligation to protect these worshippers. The boundaries of this law can be abused to extreme levels by a competent janissary, and it should be either specifically determined within the law, or the law should be reworded to name the 'heretical' beliefs.

'Sacrilege' is redundant because Vandalism is the same thing and can be used to argue in court of law. The problem with sacrilege in particular is that anything can be called a 'shrine or temple.' Warad, for example, could claim all the roads as his divine providence, and by stepping on the roads we're desecrating his holy land, or by drinking the well water, we're destroying B'aara's bountiful boons. I don't need to go further on this.

I present this critique for Legate Nasreen, and whoever shall be the standing legate by tomorrow. I am a voiceless student, but I am a man enamored with the law, and how it forms and shapes our society. I believe that the laws are beginning to grow out of hand, and the utility of these laws, most of which were implemented in the past year, should be heavily considered and mulled over in their usefulness.

Penned by Johan Marsoss
Student of the Sandstone College