[Daoud al-Maaz]

Started by Pandip, September 28, 2023, 01:52:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pandip

Daoud al-Maaz,

While I was away from Ephia's Well, a man called Hrothgar Childkiller cut Ordrem Klard in twain. This was done by a great many witnesses. He did it on the Glazier's behalf and demanded to be seen by none but Rennik Colmes.

Rumor has it that Rennik exchanged one murder for the Writ of Al-Pesh.

Rumor has it that Sol Auk took a very generous bribe to ensure Childkiller did not see the lions.

To-day, the Legates and Janissary cower at the power of the Glaziers and balk at the notion of breaking the principal of double jeopardy.

I wonder - what is your penchant for danger and puzzles?

Mayhap you would like to unravel this one with me?

  -- Aubrey Domergue
              

Daoud al-Maaz

Good Aubrey Domergue,

I fear there is little to unravel, as everything was done quite in the open.

I was among the first of the crowd to arrive after the cries of panic were heard. Ordrem Klard's dying breath was used to state, "Hortsby." Childkiller carried the murder weapon and stood over his victim. Childkiller stated that he was instructed to surrender to Lieutenant Rennik Colmes. There was little doubt as to who was culpable for the actual murder.

If you wish a direct accounting of what took place before and during the crime, Alys Jalmyr of the League of White stated that she was present. She had locked herself in the back room once the violence began, but claimed to have witnessed what took place. She indicated Childkiller as the murderer during trial.

In the courtroom, Childkiller was initially confident in his behavior and words. Lieutenant Colmes then revealed that he would, in fact, be stating the facts of the murder and presenting witnesses to that effect. This was not what Childkiller expected. He displayed tension and frustration, angrily muttering, "Miserable [expletive] cop. We had a deal." It is my understanding that the Lieutenant was properly attempting to see Childkiller brought to justice.

Questioned by Childkiller's lawyer, Cindy Merryweather, Alys Jalmyr stated that the Fourth Legion tried to convince her that Ordrem Klard was a wyrm cultist during interrogation. It was not clarified who attempted this, nor the reason why. It was mentioned in a single sentence and was not referenced again by witness, advocate or prosecutor.

After losing his patience, Childkiller rather bluntly expressed that he was meant to go free for the book, but felt that his lawyer and Colmes were attempting to see him charged. He then attempted to place collaborative blame on Colmes by stating that Childkiller only "made the hit" because Colmes had "given say-so" regarding the deal. Childkiller's guilt is certainly not in question. Cindy Merryweather revoked her advocacy after this outburst.

Lieutenant Colmes' closing statements specified the situation regarding the alleged deal. Representative Hortsby of the Glaziers met with Colmes, proposed a favor for a favor, and clarified that he had received an item illegally which would be given over to the Janissaries. In exchange, Childkiller would be released from his crimes, which "would be of no consequence." Colmes stated that he walked away from the deal.

Recess was called by then-Legate Sol Auk. Legate Zaniah Almirah attempted to join him in deliberation, but Auk prevented her from being included. Auk returned less than five minutes later, a cloud of mizzar smoke accompanying him. Sol Auk stated that because the Fourth Legion had allegedly tried to convince Alys Jalmyr that the murder victim was a wyrm cultist, the accused was innocent. He did not seem to factor in the actual murder as relevant.

I have rarely witnessed Lieutenant Colmes as furious as the moment Sol Auk declared innocence.

The day after the trial, I questioned Sol Auk about his decision in private. He stated, "The reasoning for the verdict was explained at trial. Their own witnesses blew up their case, and their own closing argument placed them adjacent to facing charges their own. By which it has been explained to Sol Auk at length the Janissaries are to be given a degree of laterability in such. Procedure matters, and the Janissaries violated such on multiple case, so their case was dismissed. If they wish to revisit the matter with Zaniah to renew investigation, they may, but such may bring them to scrutiny for their own action."

I explained to Sol Auk that if the Jannisaries wished to invent cult ties to the victim, that would only be to allow the accused an excuse for the killing. It would allow for a verdict of innocence if self-defense, or perhaps lighten matters to some sort of vigilante effort. It would not be done to implicate Childkiller of a murder, and thus would not present a possibility of framing.

Sol Auk, whether by incompetence or malicious intent, chose to ignore my explanation as well as the facts presented during the trial. He ended the conversation.

It is unknown to me if Sol Auk was purchased by the Glaziers or feared their expected reprisal, whether he merely wished to cause harm to Ephia's Well, or whether he was simply devoid of intellect. Perhaps a blend of all three. It would be characteristic of him, no?

Regardless of the reasoning for his improper verdict, he appeared to believe Legate Zaniah could hear the matter once more. Perhaps there is a precedent for such, or it is known to Legates that retrials may be conducted. I can hardly trust Sol Auk to ever speak truth, of course, even if it would be a positive. 

Others of the Fourth may have bent under Glazier pressure, but Lieutenant Colmes did not. I expect that should he have a chance to retry the matter under an honest adjudicator, he would delight in the chance to see Childkiller properly charged for the crime. It would be a delightful change of pace if other Janissaries carried such a preference for unbiased justice, and that they had similarly impartial judges to present such matters to. Lamentably, legates are bought and sold, magistrates raised similarly or carelessly, and justice continues to escape the Well.

Congratulations on the League of White's recent victory at the polls. Even much of the Purple League voted for Legate Domhnall Guivarch, despite the antithetical political viewpoints. I am hopeful that it was not yet another example of corruption bringing the wrong person to power. Such a thing would likely mean no opportunity to retry the case. After all, there is no dinar to be made in honesty. My scant purse can attest to this.

Fare thee as well as I fare,