Underwater non-silence

Started by StevenMaurer, June 01, 2012, 03:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StevenMaurer

I see its possible for PCs to cast spells with a verbal component underwater.  Underwater regions should have a silence effect so this can't happen.

Perhaps this is as it is intended. Just in case though, I'm filing it as a bug.

Crossed.Over

Pretty sure it's not a bug as you can still hear sound underwater, even if distorted. Additionally, think there is already a chance of spell failure given the condition of being underwater.

Sponduli

I don't believe this is a bug. As Crossed.Over says, there is still a chance of spell failure when casting underwater.

xXCrystal_Rose

There is a heavy spell failure chance, but it's possible. Go underwater RL with a friend of yours sometime and try speaking to eachother. It's actually possible to relay entire sentences if you know how to speak (and are willing to expend a lung-full of air for a few words), but for something as complex as magic it is very difficult, but not impossible.

It's the higher frequency sounds that don't transmit very well because the wavelengths are so close together, making it become distorted easier by the moving currents of water. That's why talking is hard, but a single note ping might transfer easier, like a buoy or a dolphins sound (series of single notes in quick succession). Those are more limited distance calls. Lower frequency sounds transmit further because of their larger wavelengths, which is why whale calls can be heard from such great distances in the pacific or the movement of ice grinding against tectonic plates in Antarctica can be heard all the way from Mexico.

Seanzie

And that has been a lesson on sound waves from Dr. Rose

Spiffy Has

Truly, I have been enlightened.