Remove "Mist Travel" from Rings

Started by whispered words, February 24, 2022, 06:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whispered words

I think these should either be removed or be made significantly more dangerous

I feel like they started out appropriately risky as a form of travel and now they're so predictable and gamed that a PC can speak freely of their ease of use

QuoteSer Adrian Velstra
Don't be so dramatic. Lalena and I will, of course, still be attending your magical dream adventure. The Peerage Ward is just a short walk through the Mist away, after all.

TheShadow

To rephrase this in a more constructive manner.

Is this an actual suggestion, or an attack on another player?

If it is an actual suggestion, creating a new account for the singular purpose of posting it does not help, as it becomes hard to tell if there is a legitimate design flaw or if it was just bad luck. Also, the Royal Mirrors have been mentioned before.

Has something in their balance changed to warrant feedback? Is there notable abuse of a bug, or exploitative actions taking place? These can be reported to a dm, not the suggestions forum.

If this is an attack on another player, the suggestions forum is not the place for such, and such behavior is frowned upon. Thanks!

=)
Forever in the Shadows, yearning for the Light.

Damien

What is this? Another stranger pc jumping between peerage and the rings whenever they are bored and want to do something riskless? Quelle surprise.

In all seriousness, these types of things do really bastardise the hard work of real ring running pcs and should be removed for this reason. I still think that planar bazaar thing was a good medium, not sure why it was removed!

whispered words

This is not meant to be an attack on any player, that was just the example that prompted the suggestion, posting the exact sending was a mistake on my part based on the dramatic response

Actually, the dramatic response makes me glad I made a fake account to post this so I don't have to deal with dramatic blowback from people who think I'm attacking their ring running quality of life improvements

Others are welcome to share why they think it's a great feature that adds something to the server, I even suggested keeping the Fast Travel options but making them more challenging and less of a "sure thing"

I genuinely think suggestions like this are benefited by the open forum of a suggestion post since DMs can get a read on how people feel about these features

TheShadow

Hey! Whoever you are, I mean no ill will. I apologize if it came off as overly harsh, however I genuinely believe that anonymous accounts are a really bad way to have an open conversation - or rather, should be used *very* carefully because it can quickly become a shitfest of drama, hence my response being worded as it was.

I'll treat your suggestion seriously, though, since your response indicates you're not actually a troll.

With that said - While the bravado displayed in the sending can be worrisome as it makes Mirror travel seem trivial, I assure you, for the vast majority of characters it is a very, very, very, very dangerous experience. It is not a sure fire way of returning to the ward, unless you consider respawning to be a sure thing. I can't go into specifics because it would be considered spoiling the mechanic - So unless a DM hand waves conversation about it, that's how I'll have to leave it.

For Adrian specifically, it *is* bravado that may be backed up by him being an incredibly strong, old, prominent PC. It is not an actual indication icly of the difficulty of the means of travel for most players.

Personally, I do not like the Royal Mirrors or even use them. I run back and forth, because it is *that* dangerous. It's simply not worth it to me to risk dieing and losing a week of effort or more to save 30 mins of running. There is a singular exception to that, and there is a single class that can trivialize travel through the Mirrors *for that one person, no one else can benefit from that*. I cannot stress that enough, nor can I clarify without spoilers, again.

Could the Royal Mirrors be improved? Yes. Absolutely. But I don't believe making them /harder/ is the route. That's my opinion :)

As far as ... bastardizing the work of other ring runners goes, I don't understand this at all. We have these features as mentioned, for quality of life. I don't see how that negatively impacts anyone's experience - and if they do, that's a problem. How are they hurting  your experience in ringrunning? Please, elaborate!

Thanks! = )
Forever in the Shadows, yearning for the Light.

Doofus

I'm not going to spoil the "Mist" and I don't think even talking about it is a good idea, since it's solely ringrunning content.
But as someone who's made multiple ringrunning groups and ringrunning pcs. The "Mists" are FINE.
Huhwuhhuh?

Tree

Having just been slaughtered mercilessly in the mirror is safe to say there's nothing trivial about it at all. It's extremely hard!

putrid_plum

They are only a 'breeze' for certain class that can just cheat it and really I think this should be adjusted by the DM team.   Or a really really long / old PC that is quite powerful.  The second seems fair to me.  They are quite deadly and anyone who wants to test this can always enter one and see for themselves.

whispered words

It's hard to explain what I don't like about it without spoiling how it works, and I don't want to do that

The system seems very popular among players who want to step away from ringrunning and return to the hub, so perhaps a better suggestion would be to implement more randomization to keep what is presumably the original intent based on the description when you examine the item involved

Dredi

I've been in these mirrors exactly two times, and never alone. On both occasions we nearly lost someone and I ended up having to burn expensive potions just to survive.

Yes, I can see how it would be easy for one or two classes, but.. Its really not that big of a deal, at least not in my opinion. I'd genuinely rather spend time running back rather than risk it.

And its like.. a 50 minute run.

VanillaPudding

As your local salty boat fanatic, I must disagree.

I believe things that lean towards player isolation and lower population are a negative and, if anything, argue for an alternative solution where ring challenges are /harder/ but travel to and from the main hub is far easier.  I think that having "ring runners" more involved in the politics and conflicts of the general population is more interesting than having them be somewhat under the radar and unknown to most of the characters and that these things are linked together. I'm not saying that everyone has been that, or that it is some awful thing, but rather that in order to best entertain the available population of EFU / NWN in general, it might be best to consider ways to involve everyone rather than separate them.