To [Nadiri Starikova] Subject [On Small Unit Tactics]

Started by Providence, March 07, 2023, 07:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Providence

Hail,

you asked  me, Snorri, for my thoughts. They are below.

General notes:
The book is too long. Is it supposed to be an academic treatise? Then it is not concise enough. Is it supposed to be an in-depth guide to, as the title says, small unit tactics? Then it is too verbose as the intended audience will read at best the abstract, but never delve into the meat. It takes the average reader almost half an hour to read your 8000 or so words. I will, given the length, assume your intent was more as a teaching tool for instructors and weary commanders, rather than as a useful primer for young adventurers. They have stars and youth in their eyes and wouldn't sit down to read all that.

My initial suggestion: rework the abstract into a pamphlet to distribute, something like "The ten most important things to know about fighting in a group." Therewithin to be listed only the ten most concise core teachings extracted from the tome.

Abstract & tactics summary:
Although just the short summary, this should absolutely list the most important spells and supplies. It seems obvious to any seasoned adventurer but perhaps not to a new refugee:

The 'shields' should have at least one or two ways of blurring themselves for easier tasks, and at least five for harder ones to be used whenever it appears they are taking physical damage consistently.
Everyone should of course bring water.
The most useful spells are anything that helps eliminate threats faster, to wit Strengthening & Blademagicks, as well as anything that wards from harm, such as the ubiquitous mindwards and spider- or barkskin powers. Ideally every martially inclined person also has these in potion forms in case the mages are spent, or in case spells are stripped at an inopportune moment.

Introduction:
I miss stressing the importance of working with those you know. This may not be realistic for new refugees but a line should be added to stress the importance of making friends and working with those you trust as they will be far more likely to use their supplies and water to keep you alive, and you them.

Individual preparation:
Very good that you mention the pitfalls of invisibility, I see this lead to bad accidents far too often. It might be worth mentioning that it could be wise to carry a See Invisibility potion to help those that fall into this trap and find themselves bleeding into the sand unseen.

I think it should be mentioned what the camping supplies consist of: oil to make a fire, food to nourish yourself and a bedroll to keep you warm and sheltered from sand.

Roles and responsibilities

Shieldbearer
It bears repeating that he can only perform well when constantly healed. If there is more harm coming in than niggardly or inexperienced healers can cover, there is often no choice but to abandon position and reposition. However, this goes both ways - it is also up to the shieldbearer not to become a water grave. If he is taking many hits and is refusing to use his Blur potions, then it is important to point this out. Sometimes this is missed in the heat of battle, or due to inexperience. I would also note that, because the shieldbearer positions the fight, it is extremely important to trust his judgment and NOT rush past him unless this is done to quickly eliminate dangerous distant casters (and returns as soon as feasible.) This is an advancing tactic and requires a Spearman that knows what he is doing.
Also, good positioning, outside the line of fire, is 90% of the battle.

Archer
In my opinion a very good archer is absolutely paramount. There is no better, safer way to disrupt dangerous spellcasters. Good Shieldbearers and Spearmen carry a ranged weapon to help with this, but it is often impossible or impractical to use it in the melee so a dedicated archer is critical to avoid having your eyebrows singed off fireball after fireball.

Mender
Ah, you mention the trust required here that I mentioned in my Shieldbearer comments. Very good. I would suggest also that the Mender know precisely how important it is to protect himself (with spells or supplies) as well as when it might be a good idea to briefly go invisible to heal whoever needs healing and is trapped in a bad spot. This happens often in the chaos of battle due to effects such as oil, poison gas, etc. etc.

Formations:
No comments. All sensible. Usually though, battle is so chaotic that in small groups holding a good formation can be a struggle. I also miss in your book an explanation of how to proceed in groups smaller than five. It will often be the case that not enough hands are free. I suggest these compositions, in the most general terms:
2: 1 Spearman or Shieldbearer & 1 Magus
3: 1 Shieldbearer, 1 Spearman, 1 Magus
4: 1 Shieldbearer, 1 Spearman, 2 Magi
Although there is no mention of archers here, that is because with smaller groups it becomes easier to maneuver around and towards dangerous mages. If an archer had to be fitted in, he should replace a magus or a shieldbearer or a spearman, depending on how much supplies are available and one is willing to spend. 3 Spearmen is a perfectly viable group, if they have deep pockets. Probably not mention that in the book though, as that's not for fresh refugees and requires advanced knowledge and experience.

Reflection on past failures

Exposed to archers:
An absolutely critical part of your advice, should be mentioned earlier somewhere. Either at the shieldbearer sections or somewhere else. Maybe even consider an entirely new section, "Positioning."

Blinded by avarice, slow to advance:
In my experience I have noted I find far more supplies when I take charge of looting myself. It appears that in some groups, when you leave the looting to some of less moral fiber, a few potions here, a few trinkets there, find themselves forgotten and appear at another day in the Souk for sale. Therefore I suggest nominating a single looter of good moral character, so that all might see more spoils for everyone at the end, and less inside greedy pockets. He can always ask for help with heavy items.

Things to add:
There's one common situation I see that happens way too often: two blokes are striking an enemy, and the third sword can't get to him - even though he easily could, if only the two blokes moved around a bit, to the back of the foe they fight. Three men hitting a foe are better than two.

This concludes my remarks. All in all a solid and thorough primer.

May you honor your mother and father in perpetuity,
Snorri

Woofersnoofer

[The note is received and words are exchanged in flesh, not on paper.]