Troll Spirit Wardens

Started by Egon the Monkey, July 13, 2020, 09:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Egon the Monkey

Trolls was previously one of my favourite quests as it was challenging but not infuriating. Every monster there had a clear strength and a clear weakness. Trolls had high damage and regen but shitty AC and elemental weaknesses. Spirits would mess you up with dispel spam but had pathetic HP and you could shoot them down. It made players feel smart, and tactically aware archers really useful.

Then Witches got added, and those are nasty as they have decent HP and Dispels.  No real weakness other than taking a while to wind up to their dispel. But you can still rush them or get lucky on a Concentration check, and they don't have too many spells.

Then there's Spirit Wardens. Which have good AB, dispel spam, save or suck spells, DR and immunity to sneak attack on account of being ghost trolls. So they have all the strengths of both trolls and spirits without a horrible weakness. I feel like they ruin the design of the whole quest by being this horrible stonewall that you can only deal with by having everyone rush it. Because as ghosts you can't even lock them down with mind saves.

My suggestion is to scale their HP back a lot, so they only have maybe double the HP of the Ancestral Spirits. But give them the Troll power of "only dies to fire or acid". That way you don't just need to shoot them out, you need to bring fire ammo or have someone else finish them with a cantrip.

Disorder

I can agree with 95% of the suggestion in this post. It would be great to  water down their hp pool, though ( ! ) I don't like the idea of the undead spectral being vulnerable to rather mundane elemental damage effects such as fire or acid.