Need some gameplay advice

Started by IxTheSpeedy, April 04, 2009, 12:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IxTheSpeedy

OK, I am going to try and not turn this into a rant.  I need some advice on the level 8+ / how to still enjoy playing your character issue that I keep running into.  It basically stems from something similar to what happened last night.  Got my arse handed to me in a quest, survived (sort of) but burned a lion's share of my consumables, mostly healing.  

Now, I realize that once in a while we are handed a quest that is hard as hell and really causes us to be intelligent with our gear and think creatively, etc.  I'm cool with that.

Problem is this.  I now have to spam the heck out of about 2 quests that I can think of so that I can earn money or find healing in order to get back to the place that I can survive if this happens again...  I have to do this because my character isn't anywhere close to a merchant build and there aren't any other ways to earn coin that I can think of, either spam quests, or be a merchant (or join a DM faction).

So, my request for advice is this.  How do folks keep themselves afloat?  I am in a PC faction that doesn't rob and pillage, so that's out.  I am not  a crafter, that's out.  

There are quite a few higher level characters around, they don't seem to be broke.  (Oh, and I refuse to de-level myself just so I can get back down the the really spammable paying quest range...)

Any advice is appreciated.

Luke Danger

Find a solid team you can work with, and questing, it works wonders. Also, being able to sell wands or pots certainly does rack in gold.

Nuclear Catastrophe

Quit.

Or, try and do something BEYOND questing, because eventually you are going to hit a stage where you wonder what exactly all the levels and gold are -for-. anyway.  And don't listen to 97% of people who will post in this thread, because they will likely have the same problems you do.

There were "level 10 guidelines" somewhere in the old forums.  Perhaps they should be reinstated and looked at, I don't know.

Caddies

The only sources of income are;

- Gifts/Tithes from other players
- Questing
- PvP/Theft
- Merchanting/Crafting
- DM faction wages

So I guess if you're not a PC who others will give tithes/gifts to, if you're not a merchant or crafter, if you're not in a DM faction, and probably won't be getting into thieving or PvP events, then your only option (and by far the most common) is questing.

So, if that's the case, you should consider only questing with competent, efficient groups (in this case entirely an IC thing) until you can get back on your feet supply-wise.

Talir

At level 8+ I would expect that your character has some friends now. Maybe they'll help you? As well, you could work for the DM faction PCs to earn enough gold to get you on your feet again. Or even other PCs. Don't limit yourself to just what Caddies proposed, ask around and maybe you'll get surprised.

At these high levels, I stop questing completely to instead focus entirely upon my goals and intentions for the character. It may stop the gold income, but hey, I'm fine with that as long as I do something interesting alongside others. There are also people who sell their goods even when their character is not a merchant, to earn an odd income.

Letsplayforfun

Quote from: Caddies;118255The only sources of income are;
- Gifts/Tithes from other players
- Questing
- PvP/Theft
- Merchanting/Crafting
- DM faction wages

Pick one, and join the Letsplayforgold club.

Wern8

If you would not mind staying out of quests, then I suppose you could try Talir's suggestion, but if you do enjoy questing and would like to, then stick to it, I say.

You should do as suggested by Caddies and keep in mind that there are certain high level quests that may greatly help in getting you back on your feet. At the meantime, I am in the opinion that it is more questing that you should do, what you need most for survival are consumables, especially potions/wands and quests give a ton of that at times. And I think it is easier to acquire them than to acquire gold.

Lastly, I think barkskin is -greatly- underused. (And ghostly visage/blur too.) I see very few making use of it, it helps a lot. You can generally save on quite a bit of healing and other consumables by using such spells/potions.

Kotenku

You  can always beg your travelling companions for supplies to get you back on your feet.

It works surprisingly well.

Metro_Pack

Quote from: IxTheSpeedy;118250OK, I am going to try and not turn this into a rant.  I need some advice on the level 8+ / how to still enjoy playing your character issue that I keep running into.  It basically stems from something similar to what happened last night.  Got my arse handed to me in a quest, survived (sort of) but burned a lion's share of my consumables, mostly healing.  

Now, I realize that once in a while we are handed a quest that is hard as hell and really causes us to be intelligent with our gear and think creatively, etc.  I'm cool with that.

Problem is this.  I now have to spam the heck out of about 2 quests that I can think of so that I can earn money or find healing in order to get back to the place that I can survive if this happens again...  I have to do this because my character isn't anywhere close to a merchant build and there aren't any other ways to earn coin that I can think of, either spam quests, or be a merchant (or join a DM faction).

So, my request for advice is this.  How do folks keep themselves afloat?  I am in a PC faction that doesn't rob and pillage, so that's out.  I am not  a crafter, that's out.  

There are quite a few higher level characters around, they don't seem to be broke.  (Oh, and I refuse to de-level myself just so I can get back down the the really spammable paying quest range...)

Any advice is appreciated.

Find a server more suited to your desires, since you don't seem to be getting it.

Random_White_Guy

Two words.

Royal

Dragon.

Granted if you get too good, DMs accuse you of cheating (cough dangerdan cough), but its a surprisingly fun game, especially if you have friends to sit around and play against.

Adam Symme and Fransisco De Olid shared many a cigar and drink while playing and plotting.

Turn plotting into a money making industry and it will always be fun
[11:23 PM] Howlando: Feel free LealWG
[11:23 PM] Howlando: I'll give you a high five + fist bump tip

[1:34 AM] BigOrcMan: RwG, a moment on the lips, forever on the hips

Nihm

QuoteSo, if that's the case, you should consider only questing with competent, efficient groups (in this case entirely an IC thing) until you can get back on your feet supply-wise.

Don't forget to order your "I am a WUSS who only quests when there are mages and fullplate monkeys in my group" T-shirt and wear it proudly.

Random_White_Guy

Quote from: Nihm;118279Don't forget to order your "I am a WUSS who only quests when there are mages and fullplate monkeys in my group" T-shirt and wear it proudly.

There's nothing wrong with doing that. At all.

Its called Common sense.

You wouldn't play sports without equipment, you wouldn't quest without key elements.

Its more fun sometimes to not, but shouldn't hate on those who don't.
[11:23 PM] Howlando: Feel free LealWG
[11:23 PM] Howlando: I'll give you a high five + fist bump tip

[1:34 AM] BigOrcMan: RwG, a moment on the lips, forever on the hips

Howlando

I think my fellow DMs are being a bit too harsh here.

It's perfectly reasonable to try to keep well supplied with your character, and it's also true that can be harder to do so at the higher range.

Although all quests can be done profitably, there's at least one which is designed to aid primarily in replacing healing at the higher level range.

The secret to profitability for other quests is having a good team, working well together, sharing supplies, etc.

9lives

Quote from: Metro_Pack;118276Find a server more suited to your desires, since you don't seem to be getting it.

Grumpy.

Quote from: Nihm;118279Don't forget to order your "I am a WUSS who only quests when there are mages and fullplate monkeys in my group" T-shirt and wear it proudly.

Bitter.

IxTheSpeedy

Wow, didn't expect to be told to go find another server and quit...  That caught me off guard.

Thanks to those that tried to be constructive.  I'll just leave it at that.