Lag or connection issues

Started by Paha, January 19, 2014, 06:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paha

Put here short, concise reports of lag and connection issues.

Provide us with time, timezone, player amount IG currently, and take a tracert information if possible.

You can do it in cmd, writing tracert nwn.efupw.com and copying the information to a quote in your post.

Talir

Server up-time is also something you should include.

Kleonogogy

17:02, GMT, 13 players online.

Tracert result 10-90 MS outside of combat.

Tracert result ranged between 300 and 1200 MS after combat began in Umber Hulks today, resulting in my death. Outside of combat the latency desists. I also note intermittent timeouts outside of combat.

Server uptime 13 hours.

PlayaCharacter

Major latency here, even with few or no players online. Makes the game unplayable.

The problem does not manifest in regular pings. It only appears to show up within the NWN client. For example, here's my current ping to nwn.efupw.com through a command prompt:

Pinging nwn.efupw.com [50.97.38.98] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 50.97.38.98: bytes=32 time=61ms TTL=51
Reply from 50.97.38.98: bytes=32 time=61ms TTL=51
Reply from 50.97.38.98: bytes=32 time=62ms TTL=51
Reply from 50.97.38.98: bytes=32 time=59ms TTL=51

Ping statistics for 50.97.38.98:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 59ms, Maximum = 62ms, Average = 60ms
No problems, right? Here's what it looks line in game:

Here's a tracert:

Tracing route to nwn.efupw.com [50.97.38.98]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     3 ms     4 ms     8 ms  homeportal [192.168.1.254]
  2    31 ms    28 ms    30 ms  99-127-108-2.lightspeed.mmphtn.sbcglobal.net [99.127.108.2]
  3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  4    35 ms    33 ms    32 ms  12.83.112.141
  5    46 ms    43 ms    43 ms  gar24.attga.ip.att.net [12.122.141.181]
  6    41 ms    42 ms    53 ms  192.205.33.42
  7    43 ms    43 ms    42 ms  softlayer-ic-139991-atl-bb1.c.telia.net [213.248.102.206]
  8    51 ms    43 ms    41 ms  ae7.bbr01.tl01.atl01.networklayer.com [173.192.18.172]
  9    64 ms    59 ms    58 ms  ae0.bbr01.eq01.wdc02.networklayer.com [173.192.18.152]
 10    59 ms    60 ms    60 ms  ae0.dar02.sr01.wdc01.networklayer.com [173.192.18.203]
 11    80 ms   138 ms    64 ms  po2.fcr03.sr02.wdc01.networklayer.com [208.43.118.159]
 12    61 ms    59 ms    59 ms  50.97.38.98-static.reverse.softlayer.com [50.97.38.98]

Trace complete.
Current server status and uptime:

Server Status: ONLINE
The server has been online since 2014-03-11 18:22:57 (15:18:24).
In-game time of day: 10:07 PM : Night.
Everything appears normal, except when I actually try to play. Somehow or another the Playa bone isn't connecting to the EfU bone. Typical combat for me is

1. Take several short walks a few steps at a time.
2. Enemies appear on the distant horizon
3. Combat is over, good thing you didn't die!

The problem is also intermittent. Sometimes I can go a whole ten minutes without a problem, but then it comes right back again after a brief time. I have reset all connections on my end, rebooted both PC and router, verified that no antivirus or other sneaky background program is running, no torrents, nothing. Problem persists.

EDIT: And of course, as always happens with these sorts of things, the problem disappeared as soon as I got in game to test it some more.

Paha

There is no issues in latency. For one, in game client latency showing is bugged as hell. Don't pay any attention to it.

What you see on tracert is what you get, that is the real data from you to the server connections, and you have excellent connection to the server. If you latency / lag / something else, based on these numbers, it is on your end. Program updating? Someone else using connection here or there? Youtube at the same time, I know that causes issues? Internet TV?

It could be any number of issues that just at times happen, but with these numbers there is absolutely nothing on the server side.

Twitch

(Lunivere)

It seems strange that this is happening to a fair number of people though with similar symptoms. I still have my problem in this respect as well.

By any chance could there be something corrupt in the overrides or HAKs? Seems unlikely but it wouldn't be the first time I've seen issues with a symptom of bad latency actually be related to modified files.

Paha

If there would be, it would quite simply not work. If you have the latest versions as the server does, then all should be good. Corruption in files would be the same for everyone if they were at our end or in the files shared, and our server would not even run if there was a faulty file. Make sure you are using the more newer launcher, as we updated it a good time back, and have the latest files. Overrides are something that are on your end, and if they affect you, then you should remove them.

If there are issues with somekind glitching from files, then it's something that conflicts with something that you have. Either hardware, software, drivers, or other files you have. It is no longer any sort of connection lag.

What I can say with absolute certainty is few things that have made people suffer:

1.) Youtube while playing, or any sort of flash / or other video player running. I can watch tv (I have fiber optics and I hold ip tv) and while it hogs 40% of my bandwidth, I have no issues playing at the same time. But using any sort of smaller program can affect the game performance hugely. In some cases even irc, skype, other type of softwares have caused issues to others. It's just a case of every system being an individual where you have to learn what works, what doesn't. Not everything can be fixed, as no component is exactly same. It's why in the field of PC's, if you want to get more ram sticks, they should have following manufacture numbers as small differences exist in everything.

2.) If you have enabled firewall or pc auto updates, then those will happen even without you knowing it, when ever, where ever.

3.) Connection issues here or there are possible, from provider over countries and simply, they can just have issues. My previous finnish provider had loads of issues and my current one has not had a single problem with me during last two years. If you have the same, make sure to file complaints. You're customers and pay for the service.

4.) Server side obviously can have occasional connection issues, but they are very large company and have best in business systems and hardware. If there is something, they usually end up fixing it and we rarely have to be in any contact to that direction. If tracerts though show specific issues to connecting through their servers, then we obviously do it, but I've yet to face that case but once, ever.

PlayaCharacter

I was going to make a big post here detailing my troubleshooting experience so far, but I think I'll hold off on that until I've talked with my ISP to make absolutely certain it's not something on my end. Suffice to say here that it's not a background program, it's not a connection issue between me and my ISP, and I've just about ruled everything else out on my end except for the things which only my ISP can check for me.

At this point I am 95% certain it's an issue taking place between my ISP and EfU's ISP, but like I said, there are a few little extra things my ISP can check. I'll be placing that call tomorrow.

PlayaCharacter

I believe the problem was resolved and it was an issue with my ISP. At the very least, there was a major problem and it got fixed, so we'll see how it goes.

zDark Shadowz

Server has crashed about 4 or 5 times now, last couple times just Cyrus on Limit Break, Victor on Knight of the Sun and Andy on butte online when it happened.

Doesn't seem to be holding out for much longer than 10min at a time.

EDIT: OKAY that was weird, relogged during play to fix a screen issue and my character lost his first name, changed itself to "4 Serenen". If my character "4 Serenen" on account "Limit Break" can be renamed to his prior name "Cyrus Serenen" it'd be appreciated thanks, going to stop monitoring this IG...

Calixto

From what I see in this thread, this is probably an internet provider's issue, but I've been suffering from some disconnections, even tough I'm hardwired. It has always happened to me, but before I had a simple wifi connection so I thought it was normal. Some moments ago I was logged in, with 5 players on, and I disconneted two times.

Is there anything I can do or is it a provider issue?
Most enjoyable characters:

EFU: COR
Tristan Caerfal (NG Human Sharpshooter)

EFU:R
Thomas Valentine (Human NG Fighter/Rogue)
Durga (Half-Orc NE Cleric of Ilneval/Fighter)

EFU:M
Marion Sileyna (Human LN Cleric of Loviatar/Fighter)
Atreia Kelten (Human Paladin of Tyr)
Riku (NG Stargazer Ranger)