Shout outs

Started by Nufferz, March 30, 2010, 02:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nufferz

I think it would be nice to have a spot in the forums for players to leave kudos for certain PCs and their IC actions for DM eyes only. There have been plenty of PCs throughout the history of efu who have never taken a position in the spotlight regardless of whether or not they were meant to be famous or achieve goals, and yet they certainly contributed to merely enhancing the environment of the server.

This is not a post to name names, this is just a suggestion to add a section for people to praise current PCs that DMs might have overlooked. DMs can skim through it whenever they feel like it.

Lulzebub

I've heard that some servers allow PCs to give a small (like 5 xp) award to each other on a limited basis for good role-play. It would be a good way for DMs to track who is on fire.

Talir

I don't think we'll set up a forum for this purpose, but I'd really like to hear from you privately who is rocking out.

Howlando

I don't know, I wouldn't mind such a forum, since I'd like to hear too.

DeputyCool

I think that if it's private, its a pretty good idea, actually.

Caddies

DangerousDan

Make it so, Snoteye.

Snoteye

I foresee that it will be swamped with one-line recognitions for the same ten characters over and over, and not be read by half the DM team anyway. I'd be much more inclined to maybe consider an EFUSL extension.

ExileStrife

Forums are easier for everyone and can be done in about 5 minutes?

Yalta

Why not try it out?

If it ends up being a hassle its easy enough to close down. There are a few people now, who whilst not server changing with their PC's and maybe not getting loads of DM time or attention, are excelling in their RP.

Some guidance on how to give the feedback could be helpful?

Maybe something like:

How to post in the "Shout Out" area:

1. Include the logon of the player and the character name of the person you are posting about.

2. Keep your comments positive, gripes and negative things should be taken to a DM directly.

3. Keep your comments short (5 lines or so). Try to *briefly* set the scene, but get to the point. Focus on what the player has done and why its great.

4. Only give feedback on PC's who still active at the time of your post.

5. Whilst generic praise is fine, specific incidents or events are helpful.

Snoteye

Quote from: ExileStrife;174779Forums are easier for everyone and can be done in about 5 minutes?

In terms of preparation, yes. Use, I sincerely doubt it.

Mind, I'm talking about our use. Player use comes second.

Cerberus

Quote from: Snoteye;174707I foresee that it will be swamped with one-line recognitions for the same ten characters over and over, and not be read by half the DM team anyway. I'd be much more inclined to maybe consider an EFUSL extension.

I agree and also see 'buddies' slapping each other on the ass. And DM's that will, even inadvertantly take one players word for some things ad discount anothers. i.e; this player says something about some PC and the DM's go watch said PC. This other player says something about a PC and the DM's dont even bother to read it.

Sorry, just my oppinion but, What would really be the point to this? What would it accomplish that the DM's aren't already doing? (like watching active PC's when they're IG.)

Ideal_Misconception

I don't think it would be too tough to recognize recurring cases of buddy tagging, and EFU:A could really use some way to recognize good players who aren't aiming for the spotlight. After all, good supporting characters help everyone in the long run.

I do think that it would work best as some kind of EFUSL addon. Tagging characters (or player accounts) with notes and a quick positive/negative tally could be an option, and would provide a lot of information. A section for DMs and another for the player could also be handy (Sometimes you just want to say you enjoyed RPing at X, sometimes you want the DMs to know something related to the character).

As a forum, it might be a bit of a mess. Can't have one thread per player/character, can't have private polls listing every character there... But it probably would be easier to implement.

(And a last note on EFUSL... Can there be a lookup and an Active/Secondary/Hiatus/Retired status toggle in there somewhere? Could be good for formulating plots.)

Nufferz

It's funny because your "buddies" in anyone's case will probably be the last to anonymously give you kudos in the forum. EFUSL would work well but that is up to whoever.

Elaborating on my original suggestion, however, this should not be a forum where people offer kudos after every minor session or interaction between PCs. It would be focused on showing appreciation to characters that you have come to know over a short period of time (a week or two) and deserve some friendly (yet unbeknownst) bolstering.

TheImpossibleDream

Rather just leave it to the dm's rather than risk circle jerking and yes it's possible even with a private forum.