[Apothars Estellise Azimi and Cosine Mevura]

Started by Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi, May 18, 2023, 07:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi

[A letter on recently-scraped vellum arrives. It looks as though the original writing was some attempt at a poem which did not turn out.]

Apothars,

I write this in haste with the hope you shall forgive my brevity. Leave any reply with the Krak des Roses; I think it shall, with time, be delivered to me.

You know from our last conversation that I am hunted by what has been wrought by, or latched on to, a terrible curse. I do not know the extent of your knowledge of It but I fear to put details to paper. Suffice that my Enemy is one that you both have studied at length and that your Tower has specific, expansive experience in dealing with.

We Kulamet also know this Foe and hunt Them where They may be found, to keep pure the Gardens that They would otherwise corrupt. I have a plan, however, I bid the counsel of your expertise to evaluate its soundness and execution. I shall make a bellows and bid you find me, and when I do so, seek me at the cave beneath the Tower upon the High Road.

Know that I am not unwillingly cast out. Though this is not exile, my presence in the Well poses a danger--for while I am yet unmarked, I am hunted, I shall surely be branded if I fail. At that point, my recourse will be the knife, and I fight to forestall that end.

Seek me on these and any other matters you would discuss.

Yours,

Amelie

P.S. Estellise--I append a poem I have written recently that I did not send to you separately. All this horror has transpired swiftly and I have not had occasion to see it unto you. It is very much a Cinquefoil poem, but I think you may appreciate it all the same, and know that you find the same ardor in your own hearts to the improvement and salvation of our Well.

QuoteOf Elizabetha

Acolyte Amelie of the Sisterhood of the Sibylline Vine

In the Style of the Kulamet
Maribeh 9, IY 7787

Ye brightly gleaming soul;
That wanders without aim;
You're cast to distant shoals;
And witness world aflame.

O hearken ye to sounding trumpet bright;
It shines for all to witness, clarion, calling in the night!
That voice is high upon the rising scree;
Aloft 'tis held by those persistent, calling now for thee.

The Well you found at last;
Though home is fairly won;
Unto the desert vast;
The Quest is not yet done.

They carried it from far-flung tower grand;
But all those ancient lands are lost and felled at dark command.
So now they've sought, that valor is not broke;
Where all the knightly flower lost uplifts the Rose-borne cloak.

The Krak des Roses stands;
A rock amid the sea;
Of we it now demands;
To hasten us to see.

The gleaming blade is drawn before the tree;
Now Cinquefoil stars, agleaming there, upon yon tapestry.
Her eyes alight, her sword aloft, said she:
"Of purpose yet our storied Name, upon my guarantee."

And Rose we all with her;
To follow then the Quest;
That we may be what were;
And meet the highest test.

Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi

[A second letter arrives.]

Apothars,

All moves forward. I continue to be hounded. The Foe that pursues me is clearly powerful, it appears to toy with me in the expectation that I shall fall or fail. I ask your assistance directly. The affair shall be dangerous.

In summation:

• First, we shall travel to an island upon the Sea of Pearls, where stands exposed amid the rock a great molten space.
  • Second, we shall see to the attention of this Fleshwrapper and draw it into battle upon the stone.
  • Third, we shall place this Thing's viscera into an urn-sized crucible wrought of Alchemist's Steel, currently being worked on by the Alchemist's Guild, and burn away that which we do not seal.
  • Fourth, we shall place the sealed vessel into this lake of fire, where it shall burn forevermore.

And this Thing shall be imprisoned for ever, or at least, for a long age.

I invite your criticism and recommendations. If you would aid please inform me.

Amelie

cmenden

Dear Amelie,

The poem is appreciated. I have great respect for the Grandmaster and besides, poetry and prose written with such passion for the subject, are always worth reading.

As for the plan, it seems fine for a general outline. Much will depend on the nature of this entity, which I assume is largely unknown. Everyone involved will be able to handle anything unexpected and adapt accordingly.

It goes without saying that I will help, in any case. I do not mean to see you suffer at this thing's hands any longer.

Regards,
Estellise Azimi

Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi

Apothars,

The situation for me has grown immeasurably more dire. The Foe has won a victory through another and the situation shall be drawn to a head earlier than I would otherwise like. Prudence cautions revealing what I have learned in letters but seek me and I shall tell you what has happened.

However, to be clear, It has not caught me and I am not marked.

The plan as I have proposed it above must be altered. We do not have time for the Alchemists to prepare whatever craft they intend to prepare. In fact, I asked their involvement in order to lessen the burden upon you and the Tower, but I would ask presently: Have you a vessel or other means of constraining this Djinn so that we may put It, all of It, to everlasting flame upon the great lake of fire?

I write in haste, but remain Sincerely,

Amelie