Elaine Vadrell

Started by tinfoilhat, January 26, 2017, 11:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinfoilhat

I had a pretty good run on Elaine I think. Accomplished much more than I envisioned when I first made the PC, and I think that's what ultimately lead to burning myself out. Add to that a variety of IRL scheduling complications and it becomes a thing that isn't fair to Agent hopeful PCs to take up that 'slot', so to speak.

Her character arc was a pretty wild ride. Starting as a naïve lackey and eventually becoming a bit of a monster herself. I’ve assembled a few screenshots to help tell the story.
[hide=’Backstory’]
Elaine is the bastard child of some minor nobleman in the kingdom of Cormyr. Her Father managed a good deal of trade with the Crown to supply weapons from their family forges, and she learned early on the basic rules of business and handling their wares. She would have been destined for nothing more than a minor clerical role in the estate if she did not manifest some arcane talent in her teenage years. Since then, she was given tutoring in the hopes she could join the War Wizards and bring some manner of value to the family.
She managed to survive through the countless sacrifices of her household servants, who even with her tainted blood held some degree of loyalty to her in the end times. One by one they died or fled until she was left alone to fend for herself. When she was about to end it all herself, she happened upon a Spellguard portal. To this day she takes it as a sign from Siamorphe that she is destined to survive, tainted as she is. She is not sure if it is a blessing or a curse.
Elaine is a nervous wreck almost 24/7 and constantly deals with survivor's guilt over her fallen family and followers. She has signed up for one of the most cutthroat and brutal organizations in the hopes she can prove to them all she was indeed born to rule and allow them rest in the life beyond. That or at least die trying.
[/hide]

[hide=’Early days’]

It’s hard to tell the story of Elaine without talking about her mentor, Elizabeth Thynne. Elaine believed she was the ideal Spellguard Agent â€" someone who was so sure of themselves and their ability that their will could not be questioned. Following in her footsteps was all she first hoped to accomplish, but over time she would come to grow wary of what her former Master had become. A cautionary tale…

Vyrgil on the other hand was a reminder of what Elaine believed were the ‘false nobility’ above. People who she believed abused their god given right to rule through fear and intimidation. An early encounter struck fear into her heart â€" something she’d not be able to let go until she would eventually don the robes herself and get her revenge…
Elaine would never admit such aloud, but Vyrgil taught her a great many things about what it meant to be an Agent.

Manning the barricade during a Vaults uprising. My first real experience with high stakes mass PVP. A lot of people died, Elaine earned her Adept’s robes for felling a few people like a good lackey.

Meetings…

Musings…

The tournament was a lot of fun. One of the most stressful yet enjoyable pvps I had on the server. I managed to actually win (lol) my bout and felt pretty swell about it afterwards. Elizabeth gloating over the fallen form of the betrayed Vendelstalh ranks as one of the more memorable EFU moments for me.

One of the turning points for the character. During a DM event Elaine was called to duel Skuld to the death so that the party could progress. Elaine lost, but Skuld was the one who ended up dying in the end. That bitter defeat would become a constant reminder in the greatsword Elaine got as loot after that event. A haunted ice blade that could summon the bound spirit of Skuld to fight for her…

Events…

Meeting Ferrigan. One of many such interactions…

A bitter rivalry between two agents blows over in the Petty Chambers. Elaine is used as a hostage to get her master to concede to Shir without a full blown battle. I think Elaine vowed to never allow herself to feel so helpless again, and was the beginnings of her treading down a darker path.
[/hide]

[hide=’Halfbreed Pox Ridden Whore’]

By this time Elaine was used to the constant humiliations and reminders of her tainted heritage. Vyrgil was a constant in her life with his tauntings and educations in the petty chambers, the ‘duels’ usually ended with her on the floor bleeding out. She knew she couldn’t become an Agent if she remained so. Elizabeth provided quite a few challenges to overcome and grow the stronger for it.

Many were brought to the cells in the hopes that Elizabeth could convince Elaine to make the hard calls. The first few were spared through her clingings to her ideals, but there’s a first time for everything..

Clarence was the unfortunate first. A battle for respect and power over the sending system ended up killing the man in the end, gutted in the backrooms of the Tower to appease an ego. I would place this moment as the definitive shredding of innocence for Elaine. The first of many she’d execute in such a fashion, all in the name of Serena Tower.

Elaine would be questioned and tortured about the affair over the following weeks. Those involved in Carlyle’s murder all felt they would soon face judgment for their deed, but in the end they were able to avoid a similar fate by submitting themselves to punishments..

[/hide]

[hide=’Adventuring dreg…’]

There were some rare instance where Elaine got to roam about and adventure, though she’d never admit it to her master…

[/hide]
[hide=’Pride’]
In the end though, even the most unlikely people might end up near their perceived throne..

And catch the favor of their superiors..

… the ones she hated too…

Eventually her nerves would break when some ambassadors thought to embarrass her in the Red Guild Offices. Desperate to make a name for herself and to drop the perception as a mousy individual, she lashed out and attacked both of them. There were declarations of war and a bit of fallout from the ordeal. Eventually the matter was swept under the rug. The ‘misunderstanding’ set aside so that negotiations with the faction could begin anew..

Elizabeth wasn’t in her right mind at this time, and it was a rare instance where she fulfilled the teacher role after the fact. A blunt admission of the truth…

A great many trials would come to pass, and eventually her superiors could no longer ignore the unstable field agents among them..

It was time. Time to seize what was rightfully hers!

Another reminder of her unfortunate birth, even in her greatest moment…

Colleagues now, they have a brief heart to heart. Elaine never forgot her ‘education’ though. She knew she’d never beat Vyrgil in a duel of magefire, and instead called upon her strength â€" her allies, to do most of the heavy lifting. He was goaded into a fight in the petty chambers and brutally beaten down. Elaine felt vindicated. She had overcome her greatest adversary. Proven her strength over him. But she still felt empty..

It felt.. so.. good…

But in the end, to defeat some monsters…

You have to become one yourself.

[/hide]

Thanks to everyone who made playing such a character enjoyable. Those who goaded her, those who tried to cheer her on, and those who fought with her. I can’t think of a single bad experience throughout the months!

Special thanks to Naga, who I never really had a chance to communicate with out of game until now. They taught me so much about how to PvP, and through IC conversations and training to boot. I also felt fortunate enough to see aspects of Elizabeth I doubt any other PC would believe existed.

Also to Pentaxius for playing an incredibly compelling, monstrous, yet at many times believable antagonist. Though I wish we could continue our feud for days to come, in the end I think it’s better off this way.

You may see me on a new PC in the coming weeks, once inspiration hits and I have a more stable schedule.

Cheers, EFU.

----

Bonus Thynne-isms. A collection of my favorite Elizabeth Thynne quotes:
[hide=’THYNNE TIME’]

And my all time favorite….

[/hide]
[hide=’LOOT for ya filthy animals out there I know you wont read the description anyway’]

[/hide]

Dina

I loved the duel between Elaine and Skuld and Elaine getting to keep Skuld's spirit in her greatsword was awesome.  I loved RPing with her on Mason even more.  She was an outstanding character and it was fun to see her going from a nervous warder to a Spellguard Agent.  I will miss her and I look forward to seeing your next character.  (Also, I knew it was you all along!)

Burke

What an incredible character. Not mechanically (though maybe she was that too?) but thematically and flavorful. I was really sad when you stopped logging in.

I can't wait to see what comes next from you.

Stranger

I knew it was you under there, Captain Coppertop.

You played a genuine, excellent character who I adored watching or interacting with every step of the way, whether I was friend or foe. I hope you find the time to come by EFU again some day.

Kinslayer988

I wish I had met played with this PC instead of being on hiatus
<SkillFocuspwn> no property developers among men only brothers

Golgo13

Pentaxius

Elaine was a the sort of character with this rare profoundness that really makes EFU come alive as a simulacrum of reality.

Her character evolution was well paced and beautifully done. We weaved a complex story of love-hate antagonism together, I enjoyed and will remember every moment of it.

smile and nod

She was a pretty amazing Agent.  I'm actually really sad to see her go, because I thought her style of "Agenting" was pretty on point.  

petey512

I loved elaine. I feel bad I didn't get to rp with her more. I remember early on as Vick I wondered what her story was. Quite impressively written.
"Proving concerned parents from the 80's wrong, just in time for them to be dead. "