Erica Allomein, flying woman

Started by Kiaring, September 03, 2021, 10:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiaring

Error 404: Not found

If you're looking for the obituary of Eris Hale, you've come to the wrong place.

Firstly, the thank yous. Thank you everyone, really. It was a whole year of my life - a pretty important one, too. I didn't always have the time to put in, but in the end Eris Hale was a 750+ hour experiment in my life. That's a lot of time for one year. A special thank you for those players I interacted more closely with - some across multiple characters. You know who you are, and I won't name names, for fear of forgetting someone.

There are a lot of screenshots, and I might update it if/when I find some more. I am notoriously bad at NWN record-keeping, I plan to enable and use logs more in the future, they always were the most fun thing to read, years later. Oh, and sorry for the quality, I play on an old MacBook, it's a pretty good computer but not really made for gaming I guess.

[hide=A LONG backstory]Eris Hale (born Erica Allomein) lived an unremarkable first 29 years of life. She was born in the Tenements of Tickertown. As a young woman, she was a wastrel without much direction. She tried her hand at Ringrunning earlier in life, but didn't have the guts for it. She tried many things, with little success. She found a man, married him, had two children (not in that order!) but it didn't last. She floundered in life, barely able to help support these kids, until she began a lucrative scheme involving alchemy and certain restricted ingredients. Selling the narcotic products of her efforts made her a pretty bit of groat. She began denying her cautious (cowardly, really!) nature, and taking more and more risks - eventually even dipping into her own supply, a fatal mistake.

It was an accident. The night Erica Allomein burned down an entire alleyway in Old Ticker was still remembered by many, even up to the destruction of Ticker Square at the hands of the wyrm Tchamorrar. But, because of what happened after, she was known by all those in her former life to be dead.

They found her with her fingers and palms charred to bits. She struggled to lift the rubble, fruitlessly. Some of it still smoldering. She had been working on the very edge of things - as few reagents as possible, a little of her own meager bloodmagic (just enough talent to finish!). But, maybe, in her heart of hearts, she always knew it had been her fault. Nonetheless, they found her trying to sift through the rubble - it wasn't even her house. Most of the alley was unrecognizable, the fire had burnt too hot, melting the City back into itself.

The angry neighbors - those who had survived - brought her before two men, who were known around those streets. Local muscle, for the local gang, in that ever-shifting quicksand that is gang life in the City of Rings...

But these two, none knew, were different. Envoys of a woman who had, in a short time, already become known as a legend. Mother, they called her - those who knew of her, that is. She occupied an entire block of tenements, her squalid followers pitching tents inside - hot soup, new clothes, even a bath. Another charity, like Glumdrum Hall, or the Nephezar almshouse? No, this was something different. The people inside, and those close to the Mother had changed - they spoke of having their lives renovated, of having been born anew in Truth and the light of her gaze. Those closest to her wore masks - when they did. None knew their names, none had ever seen a meaningful face. Access to the Mother herself was jealously guarded.

But it was before these people that Erica was brought. They took her - into the Drips. There, they said, they would find the truth. They tortured her. They had her tell the story again. A hundred times. A thousand. By the end, she knew the truth. She was falsely accused. Any who knew the story - and there were so few left - knew it to be a lie. But, it was now the truth.

But she was distraught. It had cost her two children - so they locked her inside a drainage pipe. Barely thick enough for her to sit down in. An oubliette - it may as well have been a coffin. In went Erica, out came Eris. Eris Hale. Her daughter's name had been Élah. Now, twisted by the cultists, it was /her/ name.

They took her to the Mother's House. She did not get to meet the Mother then, but they played the Game with her. She became quite good at it. The Imitation Game takes many forms, some are known only to those closest to Her - others are being developed, even as we speak. The simplest form is a children's game - you imitate a master. You imitate their stance, their mannerisms, their voice. It might have seemed silly to Erica, but it consumed Eris. She learned the Game well - all that she could. She learned that the Game pleased her Mother, more than anything in the entire world. She was taught that the Peerage Houses, in their delusions of grandeur, were also players of the Game. Some played very well - none better than House Sunpurse, perhaps.

So, she set out. With a half-cocked plan in her head, and a few well-learned skills. The Mother favored her, she could call on her at will - she had not lost her looks, nor her presence. Her body, however, became more frail each day. She inhaled the fumes, the day of the accident. Two weeks inside a rusted, dank pipe did not do her lungs any favors. Still, she could play the Game so well. She would do nicely.

[/hide]

Let's get to the good stuff!

[hide=Character Sheet] 

I tried to roleplay this character sheet to my fullest. Eris was very interesting mechanically, despite being a total pushover in a lot of respects. She did very well questing, however, and I believe only died once to PvE. Having that Cleric HD really saved her in a lot of situations - the expectations are put on sorcerers and wizards to do what she did in combat - use summons, buff others, heal. She tried to do this as best as she could, and she was okay at it, definitely. PVP wise she did have a trick or two - in the end she could be a serious menace, if left unchecked. But she was also profoundly cautious (her absurd wisdom score) - to the point of open cowardice. She had no true pride, and could adapt to most any situation, even under serious scrutiny or subdued, she was a master apologist - I tried to have it reflect her very high CHA score, also. Here I posted the buffed stats, because she never left home without those buffs (yes, that includes INT, which she had a good score of, also).

Unbuffed spread: 9 / 10 / 9(-1) / 14 / 18(+1) / 16(+1)
Bluff score (end of her career): 19

This is probably what I'm proudest of, about the character. She played like a sorceress (and in fact pretended actively to be one for quite some time) and a lot of people bought into that. It's a very interesting spin on the Cleric, and it worked marvelously, and meshed perfectly (in my view) with the strange faith she followed.[/hide]

[hide=Chasing off the Rabble (ft. doggos)]

Early days, still in the House's favor during the height of the Last Tournament (The Tournament of the Storm). She managed to score a couple of points for her House through very underhanded means, and this was the result of one of those times.[/hide]

I'M GONNA POST A BUNCH OUT OF CONTEXT - I might come back to this post and do context for each! It's going to take way longer than I thought, to do this! I wanna play! T___T

[hide=OUT OF CONTEXT]

CATSBYISM

TRASHY!
Eris carried this, and her first shawl (a dispensary prize) as mementos of Eleleth. Her bronze ear was Madrick Marjolo's - very Madrick to give her something so fungible as a 'memento'.
Madrick OWNS Eris (Eris was very good at PVP - just not combat-based PVP. A lot of PVP is conflict and drama, it happens on the [Talk] channel. This is an example of me getting OWNED in such PVP.
Best summon ever
Gnomes loved Eris
LOL TRASHY!

[/hide]

I sadly have very few screenshots of some characters who were so important in her journey - Eleleth, the Haremarches, Gawen of Glitt, Kastian the Slayer, Cawdor/Fowler, so many of her Retainer friends and allies.... And her girl posse, Cordelia, Aurelia and Rosalia.... Malik the Inquisitor and Aatish the Firebrand! Maeve and Katarina.... : ( I'm very bad at taking screenshots! But here are the ones I have!

I need to hop IG and take some pictures of the loot, as well. I'll update it soon, I promise!

[hide=The Endlude]   Erica got to live the life she saw in the mirror, after all. She had pleased her Mother, and been treated well for it. However, somewhere, a clicking sound... A splinter in the mind. Eris would always live within her - her paradise was false, and she'd always know it. But she wanted to believe, and believing was so easy...[/hide]

I need to sort through a bunch of .tga's, redact some spoilers. I'll be updating the thread some time this week. I didn't play her for 12 months straight, but 750+ hours is a LOT of screens. Even for me.
Current PC: Acolyte Itziyal Neniarral

Jello!

Absolute banger of a PC.

Keep rocking.

Gordan

Eris Hale was Efu, when i think of the server she is the one who jump in my mind

Dammet good work

SamB123

Amazing PC, pretty much a standard of the Peerage. Excited to see your next one.

Dredi

A particularly dangerous woman of words who survived an extraordinary number of assassination attempts if I recall.

In my time on Nadine, my interactions with her were brief - she had been long tipped off by Maeve to Eris' duplicity and didnt trust her for a moment.

-UnholyWon-

I really enjoyed Eris Hale, as both a PC of House Sunpurse and as a PC outside of the House Sunpurse. Brilliant and intriguing, Eris Hale was masterfully well played. Cheers! Also get a new laptop! LOL! 
Discord - Howlando: UnholyWon, an Elder Thing that has crawled from the depths of Chapter 1, many a nature-pc and adventurer played in the past... a rare sighting IG in recent chapters, but perhaps less rare than we realize. Beware his professional insight into the minds of the mentally disturbed.

the_account

Greatly enjoyed our RP together. You never knew what would happen with Hale around, but you always knew it would be fun. I kept logging in with two expectations: either there would be a chaotic declaration of elopement, or I'd be PhK'd to the face. =)  The uncertainty was fun.

Wish I could have caught your endlude. But glad we had a great story scene right beforehand.
[hide=The Reveal][/hide]

And also - "notoriously bad at NWN record-keeping"... Luckily I am print screen trigger happy. And in this case, it was very neat to have had Hale across so much of Malik's story, some five months of RP confrontations. So I have quite a few shots.

[hide=Lady Oriana: Suspecting Moonspear knavery long before Hale][/hide]
[hide=Communion: A fresh poison each week][/hide]
[hide=Fetching a Drug Addict for Hale: Little did I realize the acts of courting began even in Orza][/hide]
[hide=Jealousy Hale: Best Hale =)][/hide]
[hide=Homecoming Date: A tense return to the Ward]
[/hide]
[hide=Confrontation #15: Doubts of Faith][/hide]
[hide=Sunpurse Manor Negotiations #108: We were Moonspear all along][/hide]
[hide=Hale stands back and eats apples during a tense stand-off... how supportive][/hide]