Spells Suggestions Thread

Started by Tala, December 03, 2016, 10:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Egon the Monkey

Drop Horizakaul's Shout to L3 for Bards
They get Fear and Confusion as L3 spells as they are thematic for Bards and it means Necromancy and Enchantment are actually worthwhile SFs.
If Bards got Horizakaul's Shout, it'd go some way to making evocation bards worthwhile. Yes you can fire Wounding Whispers but that's more a defensive spell with damage, than a big area damage and interrupt.

TheShadow

Make Charm person / Monster to 2 rounds / level for SF: enchant, and turn level for GSF: enchant. I know the duration was insane for random rogues just to drop a Rogues Rouge and suddenly have a Lizard Warlord, but why can't dedicated mages use it consistently?

Just my thoughts.
Forever in the Shadows, yearning for the Light.

Egon the Monkey

Mesmerizing sorcerers is why. :p I can see 2 rounds with GSF, but turn/level is "I have captured a cave bear to tank this Ring, it cost me a L1 spell". Cheap AE-equivalent would be strong.

Electrohydra

Give bards access to Color Spray. It's very weird to me that bards, which are supposed to be performers, don't have access to many illusion spells. This one would be right up their alley.

Dredi

Well, sure, its 2 rounds per level, but thats..2 minutes at level 10. with SF - I'd say Turn remains too long mind, so probably put it to 3 or 4 rounds per level. not a long time, but.. long enough to maybe gain some benefit. Even blitzing an area, a duration of <1 minute isnt going to get you much value where 2-3 minutes (ON NPC'S) I feel is a fair amount of return for the investment.

I'd frankly just like Charmed creatures to stop attacking my allies >.>

Jello!

Purposed change:
Invisibility: 1 round/per level

Why:

Presently, invisibility has two main uses in PvE and PVP that exclude using it as an escape ( There are other ways it is used,  but the most frequent are the previously mentioned). In PvE, invisibility will be used for black liners to stay safe while continuously healing/buffing their tanker allies as they fight through mobs of enemies while in PvP it is generally a way for fighters and other classes without stealth to stalk pcs and buff up before getting the drop on their targets.  Now, while I believe there is no issue with pcs using invisibility in this way, I do think that the base duration of invisibility gives players far too much time to do these actions.  I believe shortening the duration would fix this without making the invisibility spell useless.

So what would it look like if this change to duration was indeed made? How would PvE and Pvp change?

Well, hypothetically the changes to PvE would be that squishier pcs (Wizards, rogues, etc) wouldn't be able to stand behind their front line for anywhere between 3 to 10 minutes constantly healing any damage the tanks take or reapplying buffs. Plus, this wouldn't really change how invisibility is used to escape attackers because even post-change, 18 seconds is definitely enough time to either heal up or run away.  In PvP, however, the change will be a little more impactful as no longer will players have 3 minutes to fully buff themselves before getting close to their prey and drinking haste. Furthermore, this reduces the need for every pc to have "see invisibility" to prevent being suddenly assassinated by a fully buffed barbarian or fighter that popped into existence while you were questing. 

Additionally, I think that if this suggestion were to go through that spellcasters with SF: Illusion should get the vanilla duration. It would give gnomes the edge that they deserve.

zerotje

Instead of wizards giving bedrolls to allies due to carry weight:

(Circle 2 spell)

<Magical rainbow bed>
Spawns a 0,00 carry weight bed in inventory that is lost upon rest
or alternatively, makes a placeable for the wizard to rest
(cast with heartfire for extreme combo)

Instead of wizards making friends buy grapple guns:

(Circle 2 spells)
Spawn a magical way across for 10 minutes for all his friends!
(Would be good for Mongrelwoods for example)

I think it's silly wizards are so hopelessly useless with mundane tasks. They have magic powers.  ::)

zerotje

Baleful Polymorph variants

Turn enemies not only into chickens, but also different forms.
Might promote some fun mischief.

Imagine turning some biggot Bishop into a Gnome.

SunrypeSlim

Can we get Stancebreach as a spell?
PM me for an apology! :3

Hierophant

Impervious Vanishment (Circle 5, 1 Round/Level)

The target becomes invisible and undetectable by See Invisibility for a short period.

SF Illusion: Duration increased to 2 Round/Level. Mirror image is left behind.

GSF Illusion: Duration increased to 3 Round/Level. 2 Mirror images are left behind.

Spell Modifications

True Seeing

Will now detect Impervious Vanishment as well as Invisibility.

Invisibility Purge

SF Divination: If cast on target with Invisibility, will do 2d8 + Caster Level divine damage.

GSF Divination: If cast on target with Impervious Vanishment will do 4d8 + Caster Level divine damage and if target fails fortitude save, will be stunned for 1 Round/Level.
How long, Catiline, will you continue to abuse our patience?

LoveLess

Shield Other
An extremely powerful spell at the moment, and I expect it might get some change in the near future... I would suggest it get dropped from hour per level (basically 5 turns per level) down to 2 or 3 turns per caster level, so that it's used more situationally rather as another long term buff. It can then of course be extended to be the same duration that it was before.

Prayer
Can this get some sort of buff? Perhaps a duration increase to 2 or even 3 rounds per level? It's not a bad spell due to it's effects and lack of a saving throw, but it just pales in comparison to most spells of it's same circle, even in the most favorable circumstances. The other suggestion is that at the end of it's duration, the effect repeats, centered on your character. Another alternative is just a flat duration increase by say, 10 rounds.

Mislead
A pretty underused spell, perhaps make it repeat it's effects on the target at the end of the duration?

Phantoms of Deception
Due to it's short duration, and what effects it can bring, perhaps make the illusion have no stat decreases as well? More of an extremely short-lived 'doppleganger' and it would definitely see some more use.

Bless
Can this finally get changed to actually center on your target rather than yourself? The effects and targeting both suggest that it goes to your target, enemies who cast it use it like it does, and other such random bits. Just for a little consistency.

SunrypeSlim

Sem

A superior shelgarns spell. Maybe like 4th level? I don't really mind the specifics. I just want an option to viably continue sending hero loot weapons at my enemies past level 7

SunrypeSlim

I agree with Sem above: animated weapons are cool. As long as they don't outclass animated corpses I love it.

-

Transmutation [Fire]
Level:   Drd 2, Sun 2
Components:   V, S, DF
Casting Time:   1 standard action
Range:   Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target:   Metal equipment of one creature per two levels, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart; or 25 lb. of metal/level, all of which must be within a 30-ft. circle
Duration:   7 rounds
Saving Throw:   Will negates (object)
Spell Resistance:   Yes (object)
Heat metal makes metal extremely warm. Unattended, nonmagical metal gets no saving throw. Magical metal is allowed a saving throw against the spell. An item in a creature's possession uses the creature's saving throw bonus unless its own is higher.

A creature takes fire damage if its equipment is heated. It takes full damage if its armor is affected or if it is holding, touching, wearing, or carrying metal weighing one-fifth of its weight. The creature takes minimum damage (1 point or 2 points; see the table) if it's not wearing metal armor and the metal that it's carrying weighs less than one-fifth of its weight.

1   Warm   None
2   Hot   1d4 points
3-5   Searing   2d4 points
6   Hot   1d4 points
7   Warm   None

On the first round of the spell, the metal becomes warm and uncomfortable to touch but deals no damage. The same effect also occurs on the last round of the spell's duration. During the second (and also the next-to-last) round, intense heat causes pain and damage. In the third, fourth, and fifth rounds, the metal is searing hot, causing more damage, as shown on the table below.

Any cold intense enough to damage the creature negates fire damage from the spell (and vice versa) on a point-for-point basis. If cast underwater, heat metal deals half damage and boils the surrounding water.

SunrypeSlim

I'd like to see Crimson Brews, Potions of Discipline, and certain other unique potions be made into spells!