What differentiates a Scion from other Sorcerers?

Started by Zerminar12, June 18, 2017, 12:51:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zerminar12

I've recently been trying to get back into EFU and one of my favorite classes to play has always been the sorcerer. I find that the numerous backgrounds allowed by EFU really helps make the sorcerer a more desirable option than in vanilla. As such I've been re-reading all of the backgrounds and after coming across Scion would appreciate a little bit of explanation. By looking at the Scion it appears they have some kind of unique heritage that empowers them yet what can qualify for this and how I'd go about creating a Scion concept has always puzzled me. The flavor text hints that a Scion is an arcanist who researchs the power of their past and descendants. Overall the general concept of the Scion escapes me. It seems like they are genealogical scholars who study their ancestral lines but aside from that I'm unsure as to how I'd go about RP-ing as a Scion. Would I want to go prowling the ruins in Lower or perhaps sifting through the libraries of Upper? Who would I affiliate with and why? Any help with this conundrum would be appreciated. Perhaps I am overthinking it but I simply can't grasp how a Scion character would behave in EFU. For convenient reference here is the flavor text of Scion: Most bloodborn arcanists realize their origin and fates greater than the ordinary, though a select few of them ever seek to research and harness the power of their past and descendants. Whether that of an ancient race, relation to the draconic, or an ancestry even more obscure, the Scion's body is greatly empowered in many ways in line with what his bloodline and predecessors would sanction. These many peculiar benefits assist him as he uncovers the secrets of the past, and what a Scion's destiny holds henceforth.
What has been, it is what will be, And what has been done, it is what will be done. So there is nothing new under the sun.

Stranger

Perks are subject to interpretation, always, but this one seems themed around improving the bond with one's supernatural heritage. It is reminiscent of the Red Dragon Disciple prestige class in the ability score gains, immunities, and potential aptitude in melee combat. However, like the perk text suggests, you could easily pass it as a fiendish evolution instead of "draconic."

Searching for lost secrets can be a rewarding task, especially if you aren't familiar with much of the hidden lore in our setting. I would definitely encourage an obsession with bloodlines and the magical beings in your sorcerer's heritage.

Consider letting your faction affiliations develop organically in-game. Your character has his own agenda, yes, but which of the larger organizations would best help him achieve his dreams? And what are his dreams, exactly? What does he intend to do or become by focusing his attention on the past? Because such obscure lore is a means to an end, not an end unto itselfâ€"all knowledge is.

Zerminar12

Thank you very much for your assistance on this matter. I think I understand the basic concept of a Scion and overall I'm very eager to try it out, it seems like a generic version of the more specific Planar Bound. Personally I appreciate how it enables players to come up with interesting and unique heritages for their character. I appreciate how comprehensive your answer was and am excited to begin my adventures as an EFU Scion.
What has been, it is what will be, And what has been done, it is what will be done. So there is nothing new under the sun.