Jeremiah Ashford, Grim Groat, a Sailor, and a Prince (or so he claimed..).

Started by SN, July 28, 2022, 04:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SN

Obligatory music theme #1 - Bear McCreary - Captain Kidd (more below).

The inspiration for the PC should have been pretty obvious from his last name (Ashford, hello, Expanse people)..

Thanks to Essie, Auri, RWG, NND and Don Nadie for an absolutely amazing ride together. And thanks to Pigadig for letting me play a Grim Groat.
Especially Essie.
I can't believe Elinny was your first PC on EFU, truly magical. You (and Elinny) are an absolute treasure.

And well, everyone else on EFU, too many to list here.
You guys are breathtaking.

I have a lot of screenshots, but a lot of them are spoilerish, so there's a 'handful' at the bottom and a lot of dialogue cut out.

Portrait came from a snipped artwork from Corporal Nobbs here.

Bit of a backstory:
Jeremiah Ashford was a bullfrog born to a noble family ruling the 373rd Ring,  and he hated the responsibility, so he took off to the lakes, canals and seas in his home (or so he claimed..).. His home ring became devoured by the Nothing (which he referred to as the Tide), and as he abandoned his people and ran like a coward, stumbling onto the Grim Groats as they were sacking a non-descript temple and committing atrocities on the monks dwelling within and he took up their mantle, and continued running and escaping the Tide with the gang.

He spent all the fortune he had from his home and the various robberies on the way ... on a Goose, which he named Ernesto, that he was told is going to lay golden eggs. Well, Ernesto never did lay a golden egg (nor any egg, as he was a male goose, but Jeremiah was not known for making good decisions in life), but became his most trusted companion and his first mate. The goose wore an eye-patch, too.

[hide='Ernesto'][/hide]

As they raced across the Torc plains on horseback, escaping the escaping Torc, his Grim Groat which he always carried in a pocket on his heart saved him from a Torc arrow in a fit of luck (or was it misfortune..?),  making him fall of the horse instead, break his knee and get buried under a mountain of bodies. By the time he undug himself and was capable of travelling again, the bones not mending properly, the Grim Groats were long gone, he was left on his own, as the Tide moved closer and closer.

So he continued the way on his own, for many many rings - killing, stealing, blackmailing to survive. I needed a redemption arc, obviously, so part of his backstory was stumbling upon a gentle, angelic soul, a girl he travelled a bunch of rings with, kind to a fault, which he did all his best to protect from the harsh reality. Failing, in the end, as she was torn apart by a hungry mob  as she offered to feed them with their meager rations - and instead of trying to save her, he hid like a coward (only to murder them all and raze the village to the ground in revenge). Obviously, he shared a different story, as the one thing he was most afraid to admit is that he was a massive and selfish coward.

[hide][/hide]

And so he continued on, for dozens of rings on his own, guilt eating him from the inside, only to arrive at the gates to 99 and find out Oliver the Grim Groat is there, and is the last surviving Groat (and obviously Oliver was in deep shit with various spoilers..)

A bit of of an irony, since I used almost exactly the same build as I did on Marco Cassan and some bits of the personality, back in the day, and this was the sight on day#1 of the PC:

Also day 1, Grim Groat luck/misfortune is real, just diving for some pittance:

He reveled in chaos, misinformation and he passionately hated the social structure of '99.

Here is Lalena trying to recruit the Grim Groats against Orza a few days before the fateful Council meeting,  shortly before which Phelan got Tree'd (which also spoiled his plans) not that long after Jeremiah was created,
I'm sorry, Hippie, he hated Lalena passionately and called her 'Bug Eyes', comparing her to an Ettercap.

[hide] TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] 'Cause she...
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] ... Annoys me.
[Essie] Elinny Irnimane: [Talk] "What about her annoys you?"
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] ... Everything.
[Essie] Elinny Irnimane: [Talk] "She isn't a mean person, you know..."
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] I know..
[Essie] Elinny Irnimane: [Talk] "Is it her constant running?"
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] Part of it, yes..
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] ... The eyes too. 
[Essie] Elinny Irnimane: [Talk] "What's the other part?" 
[Essie] Elinny Irnimane: [Talk] "...Eyes?"
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] Yes..
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] Those bug eyes...
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] Just starin' at me..
[Essie] Elinny Irnimane: [Talk] "What ab-..."
[Essie] Elinny Irnimane: [Talk] "Huh..." she expelled a sigh. "I've never... noticed her eyes, much."
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] The hat too..
[Essie] Elinny Irnimane: [Talk] "I think the hat is there for sentimental reasons."
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] .. T'all knowing attitude..
[Essie] Elinny Irnimane: [Talk] Her head tilts to the side, "I've never noticed that..."
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] ..T'fact that she gets unner m'feet when we are killin' shite..
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] ... And I think she thinks she's better than others.
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] But those bug eyes, Eli...
[Essie] Elinny Irnimane: [Talk] "Better than others? How do you figure that?"
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] *He shivers.*
[Essie] Elinny Irnimane: [Talk] "Is that what you talked to Diethard about, back then, in the Velvet? About Lalena's bug eyes?"
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] Uh, no..
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] ... He'd get annoyed. And I like 'im.
[Essie] Elinny Irnimane: [Talk] "You like him, and he likes her and... you don't like her. I see..."
[Essie] Elinny Irnimane: [Talk] "Do you think he's daft?"
[Essie] Elinny Irnimane: [Talk] "Or... blind?"
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] ... I think she might be.
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] Maybe she's part bug..
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] *Shifty eyes..*
[Essie] Elinny Irnimane: [Talk] She snorts at that, "You're funny." [/hide]

He sent some letters to people to screw other people over or just mess with them for the sake of trying to get them to kill each other while he sipped pinacolada.

https://www.efupw.com/forums/index.php?topic=705299.msg744458#msg744458
https://www.efupw.com/forums/index.php?topic=705296.msg744454#msg744454
https://www.efupw.com/forums/index.php?topic=705295.msg744453#msg744453

The day Elias died, during the chaos, he tried to steal the body of Lucas Castell to find his Bone Collector pin (or so he believed he had one), but alas, that didn't work out.

He would have murdered them both had he an opportunity (and he did have when they jumped Sykes in the Weald, but then I'd have to murder a bunch of other PC's to get rid of witnesses, and in the end, I'm a big softie, so decided against it).

Originally intended to be the most scummy and selfish TN cunt possible, after stumbling onto Elinny and Isaiah, he seen them both as his redemption ticket,  he became obsessed with saving Elinny from the Tide, no matter the cost. And well, saving Oliver from his dumb decisions.

His obsessive-compulsive personality in play made him, well, become obsessed with everything he did. Such as exploring and figuring out Agartha..

He loved spying on people...

Very often his own 'friends'..

Or other people..

He learned from Elinny that she hasn't even seen 99-95 proper, because people were always too busy questing or something,  so he took her to see some of the sights..

He was a bit of a creep at times:

Well..

Other random shots of cool places..

He really, really respected Robert Lyle and considered him the only Peer worth anything..

Had a real soft spot for people trying to be better than they were, or correcting their mistakes..

Things happened sometimes..

Paid off the Steadings Tax from his own pocket to Jaime..

Brought 'gifts' from 'Deeper Rings' to his friends.

Some cool moments from the road..

Obligatory music link#2 -  Bear McCreary - Nation of Thieves 

Had truly amazing conversations and random coincidences (or were they..) of ominous portents - one of the most magical moments (and prophetic, perhaps, especially the last line)

Another very meaningful conversation:

The group is formed.. with an ABSOLUTELY FOOLPROOF plan.. Right?

Lady Belmore approved the FOOLPROOF PLAN, so what could possibly go wrong?

And some more..

Elinny's biggest wish was to have a dog, so being a ranger, I made a dog my companion, then often snuck into the Metalworker's Guild and brought the dog out and RP'd as him for hours, stealthed.
In the end, Lord Scragston as he was named, became Elinny's faithful companion (thanks Equinox for creating the loot piece for her that summoned the goodest of boys!). I never thought I'd be like Stranger and enjoy being a doge, but it was great and Elinny was a treasure to RP with.
Unfortunately, I don't have screenshots of everything related to this arc..

[Hide]

[/hide]

Oh, Elinny..

Fun with Elheyn

Talking to yourself is a sign of mental illness, yes?

Saying goodbye to a dear friend...

Doing ranged PvP without DM oversight, over almost a 100 rings, rolling a nat 20:

[hide][/hide]

Obligatory Music Outro:  Clinton Shorter - When I Sail

A few days before the end..

[hide]
Elinny Irnimane: "It is rather different here."
Jeremiah Ashford: *He peers into the room.*
Jeremiah Ashford: .. Comely.
Elinny Irnimane: "Different," she echoed, glancing about the room. 
Jeremiah Ashford: Different good or different bad?
Elinny Irnimane: "I do not know yet. We shall find out, I imagine."
Elinny Irnimane: "You'll be around, yes?"
Jeremiah Ashford: Yeah, we will.
Jeremiah Ashford: And I will. Ain't goin' anywhere..
Jeremiah Ashford: Well, furthest might go t'the gates t'do some fishin'..
Elinny Irnimane: "It's comforting," she nods, turning around.
Jeremiah Ashford: Sleep well, hm?
Elinny Irnimane: "I shall try. You too."
[/hide]

-- THE END --
[Hide]
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: An anchor, a sailor, a guide.
Jeremiah Ashford: .. Fittin', ain't it?
Jeremiah Ashford: 'Ey, Dreyfus-
Jeremiah Ashford: I really /am/ a Prince.
Morven Dreyfus: Ye're a King, Ashford.
Jeremiah Ashford: Fuck the King.
Oliver Merryweather: [A defeated, pathetic laugh..] L-Long live 'e Prince..
Morven Dreyfus: Maybe after some gin.
Jeremiah Ashford: *He stuffs some things into a magic bag and passes it to Morven..*
Jeremiah Ashford: *Before finally pulling off his mask..
Oliver Merryweather: [Flips their Grim Groat into the air. The coin spirals around and around before landing on its side. As per usual.]
Jeremiah Ashford: *And wrapping his arms around the woman.*
Jeremiah Ashford: ... I told ya, long ago, when I hear 'em cluckin' or whatever t'Rooster does, I'll be 'er f'ya.
Morven Dreyfus: [She takes it -numbly- and awkwardly, but surely sinks into his arms, sobbing again.]  Didnt' know.. it would be like this.
Jeremiah Ashford: [Flips their Grim Groat into the air. The coin spirals around and around before landing on its side. As per usual.]
Jeremiah Ashford: Give 'is here t'Elinny too.
Jeremiah Ashford: And make sure 'at letter gets t'her..
Jeremiah Ashford: *He turns to Oliver..*
Morven Dreyfus: Alright.. I'll protect this with m'life. This work. Because it'll be you, I think.
Jeremiah Ashford: .. Don't be a shite.
Oliver Merryweather: [Defeated eyes lingered on Jeremiah, his face pale, covered in tears..] I-. I-. I can't make any promises, but I'll try..
Jeremiah Ashford: ... I should 'ave put y'down for goin' back on the deal f'Isaiah. Intended to. Watched ya, in t'sands.. Considered it..
Jeremiah Ashford: ... But in the end, y'a brother.
Jeremiah Ashford: Right, so..
Oliver Merryweather: Brother o' mine.. Jeremiah.. I ain't goin' t' forget it.. I'll sing your tale till my last breath an' beyond..
Jeremiah Ashford: Yeah, yeah..
Jeremiah Ashford: [Blood and negative energy spill from Jeremiah's being, before he is bathed in a golden light]
Jeremiah Ashford: Y'both are idiots-- *A gasp..*
-------

[/hide]

Prince of the 373rd ring, signing out.

And my absolutely favourite shot:

Father Time

Fresh tears all over again, a killer PC as usual, SN.

A true pleasure to have played with you again!

Auri

Lalena Steele

Quotehe hated Lalena passionately and called her 'Bug Eyes', comparing her to an Ettercap.
Wow, just wow..... 

Either way, was a good PC.  Can't wait to see your next one.

Runic

From one Jeremiah to another, you did good :'(

Gonna miss Ashford

Ramc

Jeremiah was sort of a fleeting presence for Mebril,  but his wake was a positive influence by and large. Another excellent character.

Poolson

LITTLE LAMB, NOOOOO!

What a champion.

A knife-twisting champion, but a champion.

Don Nadie

We'll always have the deep rings :'( You make great PCs, and I'm very glad that our timezones have allowed us to do so much exploring and roleplaying together!

Caderousse

Only really had one in depth interaction with Jere, but it was a good one (incidentally the one where Eli got Lord Scragston!). Eli had just been attacked, the whole guild was up in arms over it, and this guy totally unknown to Brack comes in to comfort her. That act alone was enough to excuse pretty much anything Jeremiah could have done. And after reading through his obit, it's interesting to see the tells about his past that weren't apparent at the time.

Wish we could've interacted more, SN. Jere was good folk, despite all his demons. Thought I'd post some bits from the day Eli got her pup since you said you were missing them.

Quote[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] Right...
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] C'me on, boy. *He whistles, sharply..*
[Essie] Elinny Irnimane: [Talk] She glances at Jeremiah, then at the dog, eyebrow arching. "Is this... your dog?" 
[Caderousse] Bracken Hart: [Talk] One arm is tossed over the back of his chair, considering the trio behind him.
Dog: [Talk] *Young, albeit grizzled and scared dog follows, wagging it's tail shyly.*
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] Let's just say...
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] ... I liberated 'im.
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] T'cheer y'up.
Dog: [Talk] *A low whine..*
[Caderousse] Bracken Hart: [Talk] His face softens at that, a wry smile crossing his lips and chasing away his frown.
[Essie] Elinny Irnimane: [Talk] "Oh... oh!" she gasped, gazing at the creature. "I... I don't know what to do..." she flexed her fingers. 
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] Maybe he'll take likin' t'ya, hm?
[Essie] Elinny Irnimane: [Talk] "How do I say hello to a dog properly?" she glanced at Jeremiah briefly. 
Dog: [Talk] *The dog plops on the ground, rolling onto its' back..*
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] Oh, I dunno. Like-
[Essie] Elinny Irnimane: [Talk] Elinny approaches cautiously, one step, then one more before lowering herself down right next to the dog. 
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk]  *He clicks his tongue a couple times at the young pup. His own seething and anger seems to have dissipated, or hidden away as he regards the two*
[Essie] Elinny Irnimane: [Talk] "H-hi..." her voice gentled, "...Can we be friends?" she reached with her shivering hand, that hovered above the dog, her gaze sent Jeremiah's way as if asking for permission. 
[Caderousse] Bracken Hart: [Talk] He pushes himself up and makes his way over to Jeremiah, extending a hand to him and speaking quietly. 
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] Like, when y'befriend 'em, hold y'hand open towards it, and let 'em come t'ya, instead o'other way around. Make it close enough t'sniff it an' all that-
[Caderousse] Bracken Hart: [Whisper]  "Thank you for this. Don't think I caught your name."
[Essie] Elinny Irnimane: [Talk] Her hand quickly retracts and she clears her throat, then reaches once more with palm open toward the dog, her hand simply lingering mid-air, waiting. 
Dog: [Talk] *The dog reaches out with his nose - glistening wet - slowly, curiously, towards the hand...*
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Whisper]  Jeremiah o'the Grim Groats.
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] *He shakes Bracken's hand.*
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Whisper]  And naw, don't mention it.. 
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Whisper]  ... She's one o'the few folk in this city who..
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Whisper]  ... Make me a better man than I am.
[Essie] Elinny Irnimane: [Talk] Elinny almost stopped breathing, eyes on the dog, hand still unmoving. Only a quick glance flicked briefly at the two men on the side. 
[Caderousse] Bracken Hart: [Whisper]  "Brack. Well met, Jeremiah." Then a glance to Eli as he drops his hand. "She has a way of doing that, aye, though she doesn't always see that power in herself."
Dog: [Talk] *There is a low growl emitting from somewhere in its' throat....*
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Whisper]  Yep. Stops me from razin' it all into ash..
[Essie] Elinny Irnimane: [Talk] Another glance flits toward Jeremiah this time, worried. "Am I... am I doing something wrong? I can't tell."
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Whisper]  .. Or somethin' close.

[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Whisper]  Those things 'ere, I'm learning though - t'Anglers and the like - 'appen to come and go, if y'catch m'drift.. Just gotta keep 'er safe, like and away from all that.
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Whisper]  Ain't no one hunting me .. yet. I think. Anglers are out f'Merryweather, though...
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Whisper]  Just the two o'us left..
[Essie] Elinny Irnimane: [Talk] A string of gentled words comes from the young woman. "You may have it, dog, but you must come to me."
[Caderousse] Bracken Hart: [Whisper]  "Might be best to change your colors, if you're able."
Dog: [Talk] *A confused look, the dog gets low on its front paws, barking again a few times. It is, indeed, very demanding....*
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Whisper]  Once a Groat always a groat..
[Caderousse] Bracken Hart: [Talk] He seems to consider the words a long moment before shrugging one shoulder.
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] *He fishes out a dented coin from his pocket on his chest, on top of his heart, and lets it dance over his knuckles at something whispered..*

Quote[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] Yea, that's... life, El. But y'know, the old saying goes - e'ery dog has his day.
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] Some more days than t'others though.
[Essie] Elinny Irnimane: [Talk] "Is today Lord Scragston's day?" her free hand reaches up to scratch her cheek, then she rolls the egg closer toward the dog, but just for an inch or so. 
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] Such cruelty..
[Essie] Elinny Irnimane: [Talk] Her confused look flicks at Jeremiah. 
[Caderousse] Bracken Hart: [Talk] He laughs softly.
Lord Scragston: [Talk] *As if to make a point, Lord Scragston rolls onto his back, paws dangling in the air.*
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] Y'have a way with him f'sure..
[Caderousse] Bracken Hart: [Whisper]  "It's a woman's way. Be glad it's not your heart she's toying with."
[Essie] Elinny Irnimane: [Talk] "May I... touch him now?" 
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] *He chews on the end of his cigar at something whispered, thoughtfully.*
[Essie] Elinny Irnimane: [Talk] Her hand already reached toward the dog, but was held back as she worded her question. 
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] Perhaps... Just careful wit' the soft bits. Ain't all o'em like that. And ain't exactly sure 'ow and where 'e was hurt t'most or what he gone through...
[Essie] Elinny Irnimane: [Talk] Corners of her lips fall downward at Jeremiah's words, and Elinny nods in silence. The hesitant hand reaches further, finally reaching and landing, ever so gently, somewhere near Lord Scragston's chest. Once again, a feather-light touch. 
Lord Scragston: [Talk] *He flinches at the touch, at first, uncertain...*
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Whisper]  .. Well, I'd take that, Brack. Always two sides o'the coin.
[Essie] Elinny Irnimane: [Talk] Elinny's hand did not flinch. It hovered only for a tick or two like that, before her fingers, with great care, scratched the dog lightly. 
Lord Scragston: [Talk] *The cunning dog as he was, in the interim, observed the egg. But he allowed himself to suffer through the misery, patiently, awaiting the golden prize..*
[Caderousse] Bracken Hart: [Whisper]  "Long as you don't hurt her," he says, still smiling down at the pair and speaking lightly. "I'd have to do something unpleasant for that."
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Whisper]  ... I'd 'ave t'hurt myself too if I did.
[Essie] Elinny Irnimane: [Talk] She finally rolled the egg close to the dog, murmuring softly, "Here, Lord Scragston, you've earned it."
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Whisper]  ... I won't, Brack. Knowing m'luck an' misery, I'm gonna get m'self killed in some dumb way..
[Caderousse] Bracken Hart: [Talk] He grins toothily, crossing his arms over his chest and bumping Jeremiah amiably with his shoulder.
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Whisper]  Wouldn't put her through that. She already made me promise I'll do m'best n'to get killed..
[TheShore] Jeremiah Ashford: [Talk] *He offers a grim chuckle at something spoken.*
[Caderousse] Bracken Hart: [Whisper]  "It's Ward or Rings that'll claim us eventually," and his smile only falters slightly. "Enjoy what you have while you can. But it's a noble thing to want to keep her from any pain."