War event timing

Started by Damien, December 13, 2017, 12:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damien

When to occur, Saturday or Sunday?

Damien

Hey guys, I can’t do the Saturday, any chance Sunday is an option? I’ve put a vote just in case, if it’s not possible for dms just delete

One_With_Nature

Saturday is out for me too

Kinslayer988

I put a TBA on a new time. I want to hit this weekend but it will not work for the main parties involved.
<SkillFocuspwn> no property developers among men only brothers

Damien

Thanks kin, apologies for being difficult here!

OneBatchTwoBatch

While you can't please everyone all the time a few ideas had for how matters can be expanded and more people can feel involved despite timezones. To my knowledge he event is going to just be the first event not the finale, but it's understandable people want to be in and involved in the fun!

- NPC patrols similar to the Svirfneblin Trader, with Warder/Watcher patrols or Steward/Guardian patrols.2-3 NPcs showing up with possible PvP options like the scavengers in the in between. Publicly the Moldmire has been declared a no man's land so their presence there could be fun for goodlier folk or the naturellas to rumble with PCs or NPCs alike. Equally Stewards along the Crossroads, Low Road, Dark Lake, etc all potentially cool options for little skirmishes with the PvP options of the other NPCs. Stewards dropping Saturated Leystones instead of the "Stolen Bundles" of the scavengers/etc in the in between for deposit to the ley refinery, Watchers dropping some moderate supplies or "Druid only" items stolen from patrols to help the druidiofolko or enemies of sanctuary get some supply since by the narrative we've increased patrols beyond the Dunwarren.

- The boss of the Moldmire Quest turned into a mad steward rallying the Fungus Minions to prevent traversing the moldmire. There's no dialogue really with the boss so just a name change could help change the narrative of the quest.

- The boss of the Hidden Pond, while remaining the same as it is now, the quest changed to add an additional Overly-Ambitious Warder experimenting with ley magic releasing all the "Awakened Stones" either a live wizard NPC similar to the bone quest in the canal ward or just some small placable of "Warder smashed to death by giant stones, ley energies rippling in the region".

- Adding Bounty NPCs outside the Watch House on stronger stewardic dirty haired druid NPCs instead of just criminals

Granted may be more work than warranted but at least a few flavorful things to help folks in the off-DM timezones or who can't make the bigger events still get involved in stuff.

Haer Dalis 83

While I have no preference between Saturday and Sunday, I'd like to say that it would be great to have (maybe not this time, but just sometimes) a timing that is euro-friendly. That I have memory, I can't recall an event that didn't have me stay awake from 1 am up until basically dawn.

As a student that was ok. Unfortunately, as a worker ...

ByVraccas

Euro friendly times are usually EST friendly times as well. I can usually make staying up until 6 AM work, but it means it's a long day of fighting off exhaustion. I'm cool with either day.

zDark Shadowz

I'm in NZ with an Engineer so I operate on GMT+13 at the moment, Sunday for me works, but that's Saturday in America.

Like OneBatch says, this isn't like it's the only event. Every minor skirmish is a chance to put the end result in your favour. It's the time to take the power of your enemies.

If you definitely can't make the main events, then do some real damage or help out your allies as much as possible in the interim.

The effect your actions have right now will have a greater influence on the end result than you might think. If you spare or kill anyone, don't forget to write it down in your PC notes so the DMs are aware which sides the scales are tipping and can balance (and unbalance!) the main events according.

Twelve

Quote from: OneBatchTwoBatch;n686782While you can't please everyone all the time a few ideas had for how matters can be expanded and more people can feel involved despite timezones. To my knowledge he event is going to just be the first event not the finale, but it's understandable people want to be in and involved in the fun!

- NPC patrols similar to the Svirfneblin Trader, with Warder/Watcher patrols or Steward/Guardian patrols.2-3 NPcs showing up with possible PvP options like the scavengers in the in between. Publicly the Moldmire has been declared a no man's land so their presence there could be fun for goodlier folk or the naturellas to rumble with PCs or NPCs alike. Equally Stewards along the Crossroads, Low Road, Dark Lake, etc all potentially cool options for little skirmishes with the PvP options of the other NPCs. Stewards dropping Saturated Leystones instead of the "Stolen Bundles" of the scavengers/etc in the in between for deposit to the ley refinery, Watchers dropping some moderate supplies or "Druid only" items stolen from patrols to help the druidiofolko or enemies of sanctuary get some supply since by the narrative we've increased patrols beyond the Dunwarren.

- The boss of the Moldmire Quest turned into a mad steward rallying the Fungus Minions to prevent traversing the moldmire. There's no dialogue really with the boss so just a name change could help change the narrative of the quest.

- The boss of the Hidden Pond, while remaining the same as it is now, the quest changed to add an additional Overly-Ambitious Warder experimenting with ley magic releasing all the "Awakened Stones" either a live wizard NPC similar to the bone quest in the canal ward or just some small placable of "Warder smashed to death by giant stones, ley energies rippling in the region".

- Adding Bounty NPCs outside the Watch House on stronger stewardic dirty haired druid NPCs instead of just criminals

Granted may be more work than warranted but at least a few flavorful things to help folks in the off-DM timezones or who can't make the bigger events still get involved in stuff.

I love this... across the board this is an awesome idea.

Haer Dalis 83

Quote from: ByVraccas on December 13, 2017, 11:24:59 PM
Euro friendly times are usually EST friendly times as well. I can usually make staying up until 6 AM work, but it means it's a long day of fighting off exhaustion. I'm cool with either day.

Forgive me if I hijack this forum thread, but I feel it's worth to dispel a misconception that may turn a mistakenly perceived truth into a commonplace.

EST friendly times are NOT Euro friendly. I ABSOLUTELY do not mean this as criticism, but as a constructive observation.

I know events usually take place during the weekend, in the afternoon EST, so that as many players as possible may attend. Unfortunately that's not true.
As far as Saturdays are concerned, events that take place at 4 pm est, take place at 9 pm gmt, 10 pm for those of us that live in Italy or similar countries. While it's great to wake up during a weekend, have lunch and spend the afternoon playing nwn, that timing asks euro players to forfeit their saturday evening. I've done it countless times, and will keep doing it. But it's not friendly.
Same goes for Sundays. Given that many of us work by now, or have classes, any event that starts at 10 pm would end too late, asking us to either pass or spend the next day sleep deprived.

Again, I absolutely don't mean this as a critic (and I start from the premise that this is a game and not a job), I just want to dispel the notion that EST friendly timing is also euro friendly. If american players are having events at times that may not be 100% comfortable to them, simply to give us euro players the chance to attend, it does not work.

Maybe have events even during the evenings of EST, if that is more comfortable to americans, and you are anticipating them in order to let us attend. But then, once in a while, let's have an event in the american morning, i.e. during an euro afternoon. That, I would be able to attend.

NB Again, I can't stress it enough, I'm not criticizing. I know our community is mostly centered around the east coast. It's just that I, as an euro player (and I guess others alongside me), have gotten used to playing in the evening for a couple of hours, rejoice when I can find 10 players logged and go to sleep, only to wake up, invariably log in the forum and read about all the cool stuff that happened while I was asleep. It's a form of sadness I've gotten used to.

MalkavianMilkBalls

I work 3rd shift so I am in a similar situation. I am good with any time as long as it is weekends. Any time during the week and I will miss out.