Laman Fenderthur, Scummy Strategist for Hire

Started by Golgo13, March 03, 2017, 03:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golgo13

".. for he who practices [war exclusively] will never be judged to be good, and to gain some usefulness from it at any times he must be rapacious, deceitful, violent, and have many qualities, which by necessity, do not make him good." - Niccolo Machiavelli, The Art of War

Laman Fenderthur, Cleric of the Red Knight hailing from Damara chanced upon a portal, and quickly took notice of the late Prefect Burke's signing bonuses. Always eager to increase his tithe for the Red Knight through his skills at planning, dissemblance and second line backup, he made himself available to the Watchers and Warders.. Who told him to get himself situated. So he did, his own way. Ultimately, his position as an undercover element became invalid sooner rather than later, and he openly donned the colors of the WaW.. Now an individual with questionable loyalties. Neither a force of good or evil, he was all too eager to attempt to game the system to achieve a goal, as was the case when he found a girl with wings at the end of her tether by the name of Lina Cress. Having a conscience and some basic principles can be a dangerous thing for a double agent, and as it stood he saw another kid who had been thrown into the affairs of old bastards.. and thus he sabotaged himself trying to find a term whereby irreconcilable elements may find themselves coexisting. It was not to be. A final chance at redemption came with his encounters of the elven sorceress Lomi'Selu and the halfling soldier Dracca Eisenschild. Individuals with very real issues that could use a practical hand of assistance.. even if he did help them with less than altruistic intentions.

And then he was killed, accused of treason by a raw recruit when his superior had deemed him incompetent and merely worth a dismissal, a victim of the low standards he had been outspoken of, and yet a fitting end for a betrayer of trust such as him, to become the food and breeding nest of the spiders which his unrequited love so despised..

Laman was a break from playing Paladins to try my hand at an anti-hero. My original thought was to have a less idealistic take on the "holy sword for hire" angle with Magron the Harbringer. To be honest, playing him was long stretches of boredom interspersed with very intense moments at times. Ultimately, being a conniving dissembler was not something I derived great enjoyment from, or for that matter had the skill to pull off. It's too bad he died when I was getting back to more achievable and enjoyable things, but ah well. Way of EFU an' all that. :P

Thanks to the_old_hack, Heart of Oak, SwiftRed, Aerodynamic, Petey512 (?), Gradak's player and Walter's as well, for helping me derive enjoyment from an ill-conceived concept; and to everyone who sold my disguise work well.

petey512

I played Vick Furcifer and we had some good moments together. Sadly due to my own RL issues we never got to go much farther. (I'm also sorry about the Red Lantern Invitations.)
"Proving concerned parents from the 80's wrong, just in time for them to be dead. "

The Old Hack

*sigh* Rest well, Laman. Dracca thoroughly enjoyed your company. But good luck with the next character!

Skovox Blitzer

Sounds like Laman and Brjax could have been allies if circumstances were different.  I was definitely curious about his motivations IG.