Softcore mode

Started by VanillaPudding, January 07, 2018, 11:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VanillaPudding

<VanillaPudding>forget HARDCORE mode, EFU needs SOFTCORE mode. Hard cap you at level 8 but you lose half as much XP on death

<Howlando>It's an interesting idea actually

- Soft cap on XP at 7 (as if they were 9, 10 even? ECL 2/3) - Hard cap on XP (no gains, even DM xp) at level 8

- You lose half as much XP on death and double your "recent death" xp gains (Allows for a more consistent play experience without massive losses)

Why? - Allows more casual play / players to focus on RP and otherwise with LESS questing while still allowing them to hit a level where they can "do things" against higher level characters.

Why 8 ? - Bards, Rogues require 8  second attack, etc. Sorcerers could still reach 4th level spells. Perk system in general could be fulfilled - In short, no one would be missing custom content due to the system, opening it for new players, perhaps even a recommended system for new players.

Additional idea to coincide: Myconid XP advancement as a secondary option, though the level cap would then be pushed to 7. DM xp would allow level 8. No kill / quest XP for duration of character life

zDark Shadowz

I'd like to see perhaps no XP penalty on Raise Dead / Resurrections when performed by a player, but a reduced XP gain and -4 attack/skills/saving throw penalties for the next 48 / 12 hours respectively, use the same timers the alchemy system used that tracked things over resets/logging etc.

That way you're not penalising the accumulated deeds of the character up to that point, represented in 'XP', but making them actively take time to sit back and physically need to recover, just chill out for a bit and nurse your injuries rather than 'Damn I just died now I need to quest and hunt rothe even harder before Haxorz the Malicious I've been duking it out with for the past month or two gets me'.

bobofwestoregonusa

To be honest my first impulse is to go yes just because of the lesser death penalty but I feel like it defeats the purpose of EFU.

Pentaxius

That is an interesting idea. Especially for the new edition coming out.  Accommodate a broader variety of player preferences when it comes to the mechanical aspects of the server.

RagingPurpleGiant

I'm probably just a crotchety old man who fears change, but I like death being something to fear and gaining even levels as low as 7 or 8 feeling like a major victory.
<elmo>: i have to say for me your glory days have been on EFUR RagingPurpleGiant1

Random_White_Guy

The problem with most deaths in EFU though is it isn't something "To be feared".

- On occasion the folks who have the time to grind tend to play like coke addled rockstars running around unbuffed or unsupplied respawning over and over on DM quests, even on some scripted quests you see a lot of "HA HA COME ON GUYS WE CAN DO IT" after a PC has 4x deaths and just says fuck it

- Some deaths come from random NPC spawns, unwelcomed Crits that you have very little to stop from, transition attacks by NPCs, and other things that are common in the engine but totally unavoidable and have no bearing on things like "RP'd fear". If an NPC gets 3 crits in a row and you get obliterated in a turn and a half there's no real feeling of fear or how RP could have done anything different. Just "Ha ha, dats EFU"

- DM events are a big deal on EFU. Especially the big ones of culminating plots, etc. Some of my concepts are quest fiends, some of my concepts struggle to quest, and some of my concepts questing just doesn't feel as important as other aspects and on some DM events I just outright avoid since I know i'll die in the first 30 seconds then have to either fugue loiter for a while until all clear is given or just hop off and make a new PC.

- I know EFU is slated as an PW server with low magic and high RP but as someone who has lead DM factions, lead PC factions, plotted up a storm, schemed and manipulated and tried to push the entire city in a direction the XP ratio just does not add up. DM gifted XP for "Hey keep up the good job RPing" has never, and probably will never, compare to grinding the same four high end quests with a squad of pals. So when you do get RP XP for doing stuff, then die to some random arrow or axe crit it sort of takes the wind out of the sails.

Dollars to donuts I'd rather just see

A) All DM XP is permanent. You survived an event, you tagged along on some adventure, you were involved in some plot, you did some cool shit. Even if it means the occasional less XP from the "hey I just want to run some small DM event with some bandits kidnapping a woman" positive permanent advancement is preferable to like "Hey here's 1k XP for kicking ass but you died to a greataxe crit so that's gone". Longer lived PCs will have an edge, sure, but there's still things like getting FD'd, permadeath events, and other things in EFU that can end your PC.

B) Push CAB from 6 to level 8 instead of some weird new system with caps and otherwise so you can have concepts for PCs who are like, hunters or explorers or politicians or merchants or spies able to keep "Competitive" while doing what is what it's RP for your PC to do. Sure if you get lucky or get in with a good quest train you can level up faster if you die. But at the same time sometimes that's just not in the cards and if you're playing a fringe type PC, or a monster without many friendos since he's actually a monster, or a lot of other reason you can easily find yourself just floating at level 6 twiddling thumbs while BOB THE BARBARIAN has grinded up to 8 or 9 in a week and your Merchant PC gets caught in the wake.
[11:23 PM] Howlando: Feel free LealWG
[11:23 PM] Howlando: I'll give you a high five + fist bump tip

[1:34 AM] BigOrcMan: RwG, a moment on the lips, forever on the hips

petey512

This would make me so happy.
"Proving concerned parents from the 80's wrong, just in time for them to be dead. "