Soliana Silden, the barefoot Gellemede

Started by Anthee, October 12, 2023, 01:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthee

I should probably wait at least a few days before writing and posting this, but then again, I'd be thinking about these things anyway... so what the hell. If in the coming days and weeks your character has reason to wonder where Soliana's gone, I'd just ask you to RP as appropriate, as her demise is by no means common knowledge.

So... yeah. God, this is difficult. After half a year of intensive roleplay, it feels like a part of me just died.

What a ride, though! I did expect it to continue for some time still, but you know how it is, sometimes the unexpected happens. I can't reveal much about how it happened, but suffice to say that the events surrounding Soliana's death will probably lead to something cool for the rest of the server, so I'm happy for that. And even if it came unexpectedly, it was a great finale for a story long in telling.

Okay, stats first, as is the custom:

The primary inspiration for Soliana, in terms of personality at least, was Annah the tiefling from Planescape: Torment. In addition, both Vi and Jinx from Arcane strike a resemblance in their different ways and served as further inspiration, although I had already created Soliana by the time I watched Arcane earlier this year (and I've never played LoL!). Ditto for cocaine dealer Connie Johnson from Richard Osman's The Thursday Murder Club series.

Those who have read her journal will know something about her background already, but in brief, Soliana was born in Tethyr and captured by slavers at a young age. A Shadow Thief bought her at an auction in Athkatla with the intention of grooming her into a lookout, figuring that elven eyes and ears would be useful on shady jobs. She did well and eventually earned her freedom – but decided to stay where she was because of feeling, by that time, that she no longer knew any other kind of life. She only left Athkatla after she had been forced to kill a friend on a job, something which added to an already guilty conscience that would always haunt her. Soon after, she arrived in Ephia's Well with jumbled memories that only slowly came back.

I wanted to explore the themes of guilt, corruption and redemption with Soliana and kept her decidedly open to outside influences, especially in the beginning. It was a boon to her to meet Shamsa Sarim, Isabella de Veend and the rest of the Oathseekers so soon after her arrival, and all went pretty well for her for as long as that group held together. She was really changing for the better, slowly learning to trust people and be worthy of their trust.

Shamsa Sarim became Soliana's "adopted sister", a replacement for the real sister she had lost in childhood. Their relationship was especially close, and for a time, they were inseparable. Something just clicked both IC and OOC.

But after Isabella's death, everything disintegrated. Tormod died too. And then Shamsa succumbed to debilitating depression. Soliana's solution was to erect a shell of cynicism, nihilism and hedonism and convert to the Gellemede faith.

In a way, Mari Blacke was her "saviour", somebody who provided her with a new sense of purpose and direction after she had once again lost the most important people in her life. Playing Soliana after that, in the "second chapter" of her story, was a very different experience.

When she was in the Oathseekers, Soliana viewed the Astronomers in the same way as Isabella and Shamsa – as the greatest defenders of Ephia's Well, a mysterious power to look up to. Now, she hated and despised them and wasn't shy about telling it. (And it wasn't just because of the well-known animosity between Gellemedes and Astronomers!)

That didn't prevent her from trying to build bridges every now and then. With little success, but oh well.

She fell in with some bad, bad people. Who wanted to flood the Well with drugs. Well, why not, sounds exciting! By that time, Soliana herself was already a hopeless mizzar addict (and her DC in the end was almost 100 – who needs a Will save anyway?). It all started from a hushed conversation near the Garrison and then a shady backroom meeting with someone powerful...

Margins were low and finding new clients was a lot of work, but her drug-dealing wasn't entirely without success.

Buuuuut she was always a little too honest and a little too kind to be a proper Gellemede. :) Despite her prickliness and wariness, she did have friends – of a sort – among people much better than herself.

In the end, I think Soliana walked a titillating tightrope between light and dark until the very end. It was a fun act! Things could have gone a lot of ways, had she survived for longer still. Alas. All good things must come to an end...

I'd like to give my heartfelt thanks to everybody who took an interest in interacting with Soliana – but most especially to the following people who made this such an unforgettable experience:

Midnight Minuet – I know you don't play on EfU anymore, and I was so sad that you left... but I feel incredibly privileged for the time that we did spend together in this virtual reality. I learned so many things from you, particularly regarding emoting. I think my emotes went downhill after you left! ;_; I've never felt roleplaying so strongly as with you... You have that rare ability of elevating others' roleplay to new heights. You're the best. Always. Let's keep in touch <3

Dopson – Tormod was always closer with Shamsa than with Soliana, but it was the group dynamics that really got me hooked, both IC and OOC. Oh, the chats we used to have on Discord! It was fun while it lasted... I miss your music shares.

Empress of Neon – The player faction you created with Isabella was absolutely the most fun faction I've ever been in, if only because of the people you pulled in it. And Isabella herself was such a multi-faceted, life-like character with such a heart-breaking story. Also, I will probably never again get to emote doing handstand push-ups during a politics meeting.

Ramc – Mari taking Soliana under her wing (black as the night sky) was probably the best thing that could happen to Sol, story-wise, after the Oathseekers were done. You were directly or indirectly responsible for at least 73% of the fun I had from then on, and you've managed to accomplish some terrific things with Mari. Keep it up!

DaBase – I wish our characters had got to interact more with each other – and I mean both Alfred and Aegos – but I loved the RP we did have. Alfred in particular was such a fun guy to be around. I miss even his jokes. Well, not really. Well, maybe just a little. Like a teeny weeny bit. Got it?

Don Nadie & Crump – The art you create for this server is one of the things that makes it so much more than a game. You're bards in real life, too! Also, just love your characters. In an alternate reality, Sol might have become a Balladeer...

I decided already long ago that after Sol would finally be gone, I wouldn't be creating a new character – at least not anytime soon. You see, I can't play EfU without binging a little, but my life situation doesn't really lend itself to binging for prolonged periods. Gotta be a responsible adult and all that (how boring!). I'll still be on Discord for anybody who wants to chat me up, but for the foreseeable future, I'm afraid it's time to say goodbye ;_;

Keep telling those awesome stories, EfU!
Maybe someday I'll be a part of them again...
Sofia d'Andrea

Mari

Don Nadie

B-but... Who will I hunt bounties and do drugs with now? U_U

Honestly, very enjoyable PC. I really loved her development, with that tilt towards the light and deeeeeeeep descend into darkness. She was fun to have arround and be messy with. Hope we'll see you again!

Hierophant

Great PC and characterization. Wish I had gotten to know Sol a bit better, sadly only started getting back into EFU with Eamon! Looking forward to what you do next when you eventually come back :) Good luck out there!
How long, Catiline, will you continue to abuse our patience?

zerotje

Underrated character & player portraying a realistic and consistent dynamic character with real personality, that *also* invests into *other* people their characters and willing to engage with their stories. Making possibilities to intertwine them and facilitate an actual human and immersive experience as result. You and Shamsa both made the server a better place with the characters you've played. Well done, you should be showered in praise.

Scitus

My favorite poison dealer, I am only sad we didn't get to do much together, she was very cool.