EFU connection testing

Started by goate, June 24, 2017, 11:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goate

Hello EFUers,

With an online game connection quality and lag are of course always a concern. Even with data it is difficult to determine what the issue is or what can be done about it. Without data, it's nearly impossible unless everyone is having the same issue.

What might be interesting would be to run bandwidth tests against the EFU server when everything is normal/A-OK, so that there is something to compare against when you experience a lag or connection issue.

So, I'd like to experiment with it. If you'd like to run a bandwidth test against the EFU server, download and install the iperf open-source tool from here, install it and contact me on IRC. Once I give you the go-ahead, you'll need to open a DOS command prompt (Windows Button + r, type "cmd" in the field, hit enter) and then run this command:
iperf -c nwn.efupw.com -u -b 10m -i 10
This will run a 10 megabit test against the EFU server and report the result in one second increments. Afterwards, post your result in this thread and note your general location (country/region) along with some notes on the conditions surrounding the the test. For example:

QuoteLocation: USA, California
Notes: Normal conditions
Results:Client connecting to 74.91.123.154, UDP port 5001
Sending 1470 byte datagrams
UDP buffer size: 108 KByte (default)
------------------------------------------------------------
[ 3] local X.X.X.X port 32781 connected with 74.91.123.154 port 5001
[ 3]   0.0-10.0 sec   11.8 MBytes   9.89 Mbits/sec
[ 3] Sent 8409 datagrams
[ 3] Server Report:
[ 3]   0.0-10.0 sec   11.8 MBytes   9.86 Mbits/sec   2.617 ms   9/ 8409   (0.11%)

Then I'll post your corresponding server-side report. Then you can compare your results against other locations, and your own previous results to see if there's a quantifiable issue. Let me know in IRC if you're interested.

More information on iperf tool use can be found here.

-gracken