Races and Reactions

Started by Howlando, February 16, 2011, 10:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howlando

Here is a post that will hopefully help players understand what many common reactions are to different kinds of races and monsters in the EFU Setting.

Alignment In the EfU setting, the various alignment poles are objectively defined powers as decreed by an unknown overgod, Ao. However, this central metaphysical fact is virtually unknown to almost all characters. Instead, every character will have his or her own philosophy and morality as well as definition of terms. "Shades of grey" exists for almost all individual character's reality as much as it does for our own. "Good" can be defined by characters as anything that approximates the truth of being an objectively defined force or simply as something that is desirable (anything from a Baneite actively working to quash "goodly peoples" or an unsophisticated rogue deciding it is "good" to get money from the people he robs).

Paladins, blessed (or cursed?) with the supernatural ability to detect evil alignments, will typically understand this as a divine gift from their particular patron deity as a way to see either the mark of past misdeeds or of a fundamental evil nature. Even paladins, though, as fallible mortals in a complex universe will be forced to often make complex choices and decisions, sometimes with there being no right or correct answer.

Separate from alignment, there is also stuff that is considered by most druids and those with a druidic-influenced nature code as "Unnatural." Typically, this is stuff that these characters and NPCs believe simply do not belong in the world, and should be eradicated or prevented whenever possible.

Aberrations - Difficult to define, aberrations are monsters that share common characteristics of being extremely unnatural and grotesque. Canonically they are defined as having, "... a bizarre anatomy, strange abilities, an alien mindset, or any combination of the three." In EfU, it is speculated by some that there is some common influence or origin that ultimates defines aberrations. Aberrations are overwhelmingly, but not exclusively, evil. For example, some aberrant monsters in the Underdark (such as hook horrors) are not necessarily more evil than a ferocious wild beast in the jungles of Ymph. To most, aberrations are just another scary monster. To those influenced by a druidic or nature-based code, they are considered an unnatural blight to be eradicated whenever possible.

Animals are a natural part of the world, and are overwhelmingly neutral. Some cultures such as "Old Ways" Stargazers have a particular affinity or respect for different kinds of animals in Ymph. Most adventurers will understand different kinds of animals as a potential threat, but not necessarily the kind that deserves eradication.

It is very easy to imagine some, though, that actively seek the subjugation and "taming" of the wilderness.

In EfU, "dire" animals are not considered unnatural by druids.

Constructs are typically neutral, with rare kinds being evil - perhaps because of their power source (such as constructs being powered by some kind of terrible necromantic ritual) or material (such as being formed from devil-hides).

Different kinds of mechanized constructs, such as EfU-specific "animatrons," although not truly evil may be considered by those with a nature-based code as being particularly unnatural and something to be destroyed whenever possible. Giant, EfU-specific machine-areas may likewise be considered unnatural and wrong not only by nature-PCs but by those who prefer a sort of primal, non-automated existence.

Dragons are rare in our setting, but do occasionally exert considerable influence. Although dragons run the gamut of alignment, in EfU they will mostly be evil as for story-telling purposes they are better that way.

Elementals are canonically defined as, "...a being composed of one of the four classical elements: air, earth, fire, or water." In EfU, we have expanded this to include other kinds of elementals representing other elements. Elementals are generally neutral. Although considered to be just another scary monster to most, druids do have an affinity towards elementals and do not generally consider them unnatural.

Giants and Humanoids are often evil, but some may well be good or neutral. They are generally considered natural, but may be fought by druids as many of these races have a tendency to be a destructive influence on the wild or breed out of control. Most will consider them a scary monster.

Among even those with an evil disposition, their innate evil is typically of a lesser degree than other kinds of monsters. For example, however cruel and brutal an ogre may be it doesn't really compare to the extreme evil of a powerful devil or undead.

Fey are supernatural creatures with a particular connection to nature. They have a kind of other-worldliness to them, but are considered as an accepted part of the natural world by druids.

Some are greatly feared, whereas others are considered by many as creatures of delight. They are creatures of folklore, myth, and mystery.

Planar are those creatures that originate from the planes. Typically they exemplify their particular alignments. Typically any creature of planar-origin will be considered as unnatural by druids, but may be tolerated temporarily.

Celestials are creatures of great virtue and inner goodness, will deeply respected and revered by those of a goodly disposition. However, there is a degree of peaceful conflict among those of more lawful/neutral/chaotic dispositions.

Fiends are those creatures of a wholly evil disposition, notably devils and demons.  Fiends are considered both unnatural and very evil. They are feared and hated by most. They greatly desire the souls of mortals, which are essential as food and as material for the raging Blood War between devils and demons that occupies much of their attention and energy.

Devils ("infernal creatures") are of a lawful disposition, and consequently can be considered more predictable and controllable. They are nevertheless deeply dangerous and association with such creatures (whether as through some manner of infernal pact or conjuration) is an evil act.

Demons ("abyssal creature") are chaotic and unpredictable. Association with them is deeply evil and unnatural. They are more numerous than devils.

Undead are those creatures that were once living, but now are not. The vast majority of undead are both evil and unnatural. However, there are some incredibly rare exceptions.

The process of creating undead is likewise almost always considered both evil and unnatural, however there are complex methods - beyond the reach of most PCs - where through complicated rituals a spirit might be induced to, on its own, arrive in order to provide protection or wisdom. This process may not necessarily be objectively evil. Summoning spirits through conjuration-based bindings as well as the "Animate Dead" spell are depraved and wholly evil acts.

I may add some more to this later, but hopefully this will be of some use to our playerbase. Feel free to ask questions and, if appropriate, I can expand upon this.

AceOfSpadesX

Very informative. I think it would help to have some of the more common monstrous races that are available to be played.

TheDarkMoon

Excellent Howland, Dm Kudo point for you!
Also, Could we please oh please get more information on demons? I know its a strech but- I would be deeply apreciative then the small two sentence area you have.

The rest is amazing you and you do deserve major props.

FishyBusiness

Aethereal

Excellent clarifications.

And good to see that some of the exceptions to the rules are also mentioned. Baelnorn, the elven liches for example are generally of good alignment. Hmmm, I wonder if one could be transported by the mythallar...

One thing that I could probably use some clarification on is the the overlap between say neutrality and chaos. The way I see it, a neutral character can sometimes partake in activity that would seem chaotic, yet are generally following their own personal code. Or at least this would be one manifestation, an example if you will.
---
'Even life eternal is not time enough to see, all the folly and despair of poor Humanity.' - To Life - A Shoggoth on the Roof

It is through Art, and through Art only, that we can realise our perfection.

xXCrystal_Rose

I love this. It is certainly a wonderful tool to help a layman boost their understanding of lore.

Jayde Moon

So an aberrant druid riding a giant mechanical golem made of bones is probably not going to be an accepted app?

Udenbur

Great work, very nicely clarified.

Garem

Can I make a request for the next one? Dwarves, elves, and Stargazers!

DangerousDan

That's a good suggestion, Garem. As a Sapkowski fan, I long for an EfU where Elves and Dwarves are ghettoised, and the human majority don't blink and eyelid at this very natural state of affairs.

I am not sure we'll ever get there, though.

faqir

Stargazer Trail of Tears.

GoblinSapper

It would be nice to know how certain religeons and faiths are publically percieved by the common faerunian and the colonials. For instance, often times, clergy of evil gods like Talona and Umberlee are tolerated because of their vindictive preying on those that do not offer praise to the protection racket. What about other gods, demons, etc?

derfo

Can I make a request for one about dinosaurs? I assumed they live in Chult, but don't actually know how common they are, or how outsiders or even Chultans perceive them. Would they just fall under animals as big lizards or?

Shamtastic

Selfishly second one on Dinosaurs "Thunder Lizards of Chultan jungles".  

PS..Derf-they are revered and feared by Chultan natives, forgot where I found that, but here is a link to some Chultan lore, if you have not seen it yet.  http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ex/20080805  have to download the lore zip.

AKMatt

Quote from: faqir;224423Stargazer Trail of Tears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmsIE76yd3A