Boss monsters with implausible Fortitude saves

Started by Egon the Monkey, June 16, 2020, 12:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Egon the Monkey

Usually happens in DM quests, I think I've seen it elsewhere too. I understand that the usual way to stop a boss monster getting immediately exploded by empowered combusts is to give it a massive CON boost to jack up its hit points. Unfortunately this leads to monsters with saves like Will: 10/Reflex: 6/Fortitude: 52. Which makes little sense IC and means that anything targeting a Fortitude save is suddenly obsolete on boss monsters. This is especially bad if, for example, they also have Spell Resistance and you waste a Lower Spell Resistance scroll trying to deal with that.

I don't think this in an intended feature, and could probably be fixed with a DM "Boss-ifyer" tool that applies a combination of a big CON boost and matching Fortitude save penalty.

Mushroom Mushroom

I am sure the tool exists. Just ##ModCON 100 is quicker and easier to use. <_<

Fuzz

There's a way to give monsters temporary HP well into the hundreds, which allows them to have big meaty health pools while not affecting their Con or Fort. I have no idea if the tool for this already available and just not being used, but it might be an easy solution to this problem and I think the DMs might actually prefer it since it could give a very granular control of the monster's HP?

The one issue with it is that temp HP sits on top of regular HP, as I recall, so until you smash away all that temp HP the monster will show as "Uninjured" until you start eating into its actual health pool. This may be totally fixed in later version of NWN, that was the behavior pre-SoU as I recall.