Installing NWN (including toolset) on a VM

Started by Howlando, May 27, 2017, 03:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howlando

So I have a 2016 MacBook Pro laptop and I'd like to install NWN on a VM (virtual machine) so I can use it to DM and (more importantly) toolset. I vastly prefer OS X over Windows for pretty much everything else that I use a computer for. Previously I've installed windows/nwn through bootcamp on an Apple machine which worked fine, but switching back and forth is annoying.

I currently have a VM through VirtualBox running Windows 10. NWN is installed but it is quite choppy (even with graphics turned down) and the toolset doesn't launch at all ("Could not create 3d preview window. Please check that you are running the latest drivers for your video card. This program will now exit.")

I could try to work through these issues on my own, but perhaps someone out there either has more experience with VMs or maybe has even managed to get this working themselves.

The only thing I need the VM to do is run NWN and toolset. I don't mind buying parallels or VMWare if it would make a difference.

Please let me know here or on IRC if you have either set this up yourself or are pretty darn confident you could help me with it.

Thanks!

Howlando

Thanks to OskarMaxon, it seems that this: Porting Kit

Seems to be working pretty well! Including toolset, amazingly.

Howlando

One problem: NWNX Extender (which I quite like for unlocking camera) doesn't seem to be installable unless I'm missing something.

Howlando

For the benefit of anyone else who might stumble upon this and find it useful:

Unfortunately, it appears that the toolset through Porting Kit doesn't handle larger modules (such as EFU). It can open a small module but seems to hang when I try to open anything more complex.

The NWNX Client Extender can be installed though.

Howlando

I'm having better success with Parallels.

Oskar Maxon

Damnit. But I guess it's good that the alternative seems to be working!