Torrick Candelau: Fallen All the Way

Started by TheSpooky, June 17, 2015, 07:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSpooky

Makes me sad to be making a post in this forum! Torrick was my first EFU character that really lasted, from September 20th of last year to today. I had a lot of fun playing him. Unfortunately, I also experienced a lot of headaches of my own making. When I was reading Moonlighter's obit for Irene, and found myself agreeing with a lot of it, I knew I had to consider doing the same thing. I've been feeling burned out recently, and with this election winding up, I knew I just don't have the stuff to lean into it. At the very least, my playtime is wildly variable right now, so the prospect of getting heavily involved--or even running--was something I dreaded more than looked forward to.

I can never thank the players and DMs that facilitated Torrick enough, and I'm not thrilled about retiring him before a natural end. Still, this has been brewing for a while, and it's time for me to just rip the band-aid off. Continuing to play a character that's stressing me out half-heartedly, with no real gameplan, wouldn't have been good for anybody involved.

As for the man himself, Torrick was a character that can't be described in one sentence. He came to the Underdark as a bright-eyed, stuttering neophyte of a paladin whose main goal was to collect books and make friends. He made a few indeed! During his early days, the Paladin Squad was in full force with Torrick, Gylin, Gareth, Tacitus, Marius(shut up he counts), and co. making the depths a more Lawful Good place. Torrick always viewed these characters as mentors as well as friends, and learned a lot about the ups and downs of Paladin Life from them. Where Torrick started to change was when these paladins started to meet their ends, one by one.

Eventually, Torrick lost the bright eyes and the stutter. He started to consider alternatives to the Paladin Life. This came to a head when he let someone be killed for their "transgressions" and chose to overlook some real shady people. Torrick was a paladin no more. I admit I was pretty mad about it at the moment it happened--sorry, BigOrcMan! It ended up being for the best. For a short time, I considered trying to seek redemption, but I found it more interesting to embrace being fallen and use the good will he'd built up to facilitate some real machinations. It took a long time for anyone to actually call him out on being fallen, and major kudos to Warrick Favreau for that.

The last anyone saw of Torrick, he was either admitting to or hiding the fact that he had received a brutal injury in the field. He'd go into surgery for it, and if he survived, would keep his word to go into the field permanently, leaving all his ties to civilization behind. Maybe someone will run into an ice-cold fallen paladin in the deepest regions of the Underdark, some day....

Unfortunately, I have very few screenshots that aren't also a major spoiler, but I will try to sort through them and post a few. The only DM loot Torrick had is still in play, too, so you won't get to see it until another character dies! SUSPENSE!

Shout outs to all the Society players who made that faction so interesting, especially TheShadow, who saved my dumb ass more times than I can count. Major thanks to BigOrcMan and ShadowCharlatan for changing the course of the character, and to all the various Watchers and Warders that gave him a run for his money along the way. I'll be back in game with a less time-consuming and stressful concept once I've taken a break to recharge, so keep your eyes peeled.

NothingGoldCanStay

I am so sad to see this one go. Warrick had a lot more work to do on his fallen frenemy. Great PC and I can't wait to see your next one.

Random_White_Guy

There's no shame in hanging it up if a PC starts making you feel like that, certainly.  I greatly enjoyed our limited albeit pretty intense and awesome encounters on Rahum and our other encounters from time to time on my many other PCs haha.

ENJOY THE BREAK- they're good for the soul and when you return to EFU with a fresh concept it'll be all that much more fun.
[11:23 PM] Howlando: Feel free LealWG
[11:23 PM] Howlando: I'll give you a high five + fist bump tip

[1:34 AM] BigOrcMan: RwG, a moment on the lips, forever on the hips

TheShadow

damn! She couldn't save him this time, unfortunately! Torrick was an awesome pc, though at times, I'll freely admit and say that he could have been so much more at times, but very well done none the less. I'm sad to see him go at this time, ESPECIALLY with the Elections, but it was a fun ride with Torrick, And I'm looking forward to seeing you in the future with whatever you cook up ^_^.
Forever in the Shadows, yearning for the Light.

Kinslayer988

Our fortress of words is no more! He made me feel absolutely immersed and interested wherever he went. It makes me sad to see two of the PCs that really got me deep into the gameworld retired but I know whole-heartedly the feeling that can sometimes grip. Have fun on your next!
<SkillFocuspwn> no property developers among men only brothers

Vagrant Savant

I wasn't there as much as I'd like to have been during his early swing, and didn't get to see much of his paladin side (which seems obvious now due to his 'fall') but it was quaint with him being Prefect and Ordinant, like a Kingsley the general playerbase could interact with. Torrick could've won the elections, but, all the more reason to hang him up when on the burnout period. Good luck on the next run!

PanamaLane

Good times man, hope you enjoy your next!

Stranger

You are one of the strongest and most engrossing writers I've had the pleasure of knowing.

Torrick lived, breathed, and died a life of his own.

Vlaid

I have to say I'm a little disappointed, I was looking forward to conflict with the Society spearheaded by Torrick's personal charisma and political acumen.

But if you weren't enjoying the PC any longer for whatever reason I can understand that. Hopefully you can get into your next one more.

I still remember the stuttering unsure of himself scholar Szul worked with and debated with in the old HoK all that time ago, it was amazing to see him grow so much when I returned.

He may not have been the most bombastic PC ever but I really enjoyed his  style, characterization and dedication to what he believed in  unwaveringly. A well portrayed PC of quality.

TheTacoWizard

I could relate to you about getting stressed over a character, and I probs say the same with a few other major members of the brigade. In my times as playing Bodoc, because I was one on the main characters of the Dawnrise Brigade at the time, I had a lot of expectations and had to help keep the brigade going by, maintaining relationships with Sanctuary and the hold, keeping the hold at its current tier, constantly protecting it with my life (Which is what ended it) and planning when certain events will take place, but getting as much members to come at a time. There is no shame in hanging the coat and giving up on a character or taking a break which is effecting you in real life. I had to get Bodoc killed in the end, I could of chosen to live or die, but life events were keeping myself to be a regular player on EFU.

I am having a lot of fun playing a character who is not too heavily involved with the politics of things both for the brigade and Sanctuary. You did a fantastic job lasting as long as you did, nearly a year is a long time and a job well done! Good luck on your next character dude (Your last drink, really was your last drink)! Maybe test the brigade out ;)

Moonlighter

Enjoyed my various times scheming and exploring and roleplaying with Torrick. Sorry I inspired you to call it quits! I'm a bad influence...

Sankis

don't worry bro I got it from here.

(gonna miss him)

sharkinajar

Dangit now who can I yackety sax. Good run, can't wait for your next one!

Gentlemen of the Empire

My main memories of Torrick come from the brief period of time when I was playing Gernfax. I enjoyed the somewhat distrustful start to their relationship. Sadly missed much of his later time on the server. Look forward to seeing what emerges next from the Spookmobile.

liquidsonic

I know how you feel man. :< Much sad to see him gone.