The Electoral Debate - Question Three

Started by DONT PANIC, January 15, 2024, 01:01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DONT PANIC

And we finish day two, strong!

Candidates, you have one final question for this Debate. I will not be continuing it through the voting days, because I do not want to be the reason to hold up any votes. It has been a pleasure doing this with you.

Question Three:

One can not look at the current political climate, and not be drawn to conversation about the new district. There are differing opinions on where it should go, with some thinking that putting it outside the Rose Gate will provide more power to the Rose faction that would otherwise be the purview of the Janissary. Some question if it should be built at all. What are your true thoughts, regarding the mammoth effort that is the New District?

Luck is wished to all participants.

-Jordan Clearcreek,
Captain of the Heron Company,
Scholar, Philosopher, Moderator of this Debate.

1dboy

My true thoughts on the matter of the New District is that it will never be built within an election period, nor the two months after of service. No, given the mortality rate of most of our citizens, plenty of us will not even see the fruition of what is the be known as the New District. I spoke on earlier, the needs of the government is essentially provided by the Voiced Tax system. As it currently stands, it will take around a year of a slow, determined crawl to the finish line.

However, the people who need the New District do not have that time. As I keep inferring to it, drastic measures are needed to bear the burden of the needs of the government. What do we do? Increase property tax, raise the costs of the Voice, add tolls to certain areas of our city? Then we impose upon our people who will become more unhappy, and it may even incur a revolt. The issue of the stagnancy that we've permitted for so long is that we have enjoyed the leisure life for too long, and to abruptly change direction in even the slightest of governmental oppression will see talks of rebellion, insurrection, or simply coup de tat.

What other choices do we have? Penalize our neighbors in pursuit of the funds needed? Raid Qadira, liberate Kha'esh, plunder Banafsi? No, becoming the aggressor will never be our aptitude for the common man of the Heron. Always, we would need provocation to wield our force like a club, and too many of our respected citizens would always hold doubt on the truth of the matter. 'Did Banafsi really send assassins to kill a legate?' 'Would Qadira attempt to poison our vizier?' These doubts would again question the leadership of any legate, which would lead a road down to insurrection.

Where do we find our solution? To me, the answer is relatively simple. Already I have spoken on organizing our raiding efforts to be more direct and controlled by the Accord's leading militaristic forces. Increasing the push against the Orcs and Sibilant will have funds trickle in more readily. It isn't the best solution, but it is one.

Secondly, water. Our water is our most valuable resource, and too long has it been sent to Ba'zeel in tribute. We must determine the entire agreement between ourselves and Ba'zeel. If we are able to free up the amount of water we have available to trade, we can take our only profitable ware and use it for commerce and negotiations with our neighbors. Tlonsiyya's provisions have been forgotten by most, but not to me. They have resources that can assist us in temporary solutions for aiding our refugees, large windmills that can prevent the ash storms. Utilizing the windmill, we can at the very least immediately resolve further loss of life for the refugees while we amass the funds of the New District.

Lastly, it is reliant upon the willingness of the Accord. The allotments we provide them every month are around thirty to sixty thousand dinar per month. That alone is a drain on our treasury, and that is funds that we could be using to save for the refugee's district. If the Accord members all wish and desire a piece of the District, then they must be willing to sacrifice a cut of their allotment to support the new district. Each time during allotment I will ask every accord member if they would willingly sacrifice a cut of their allotment. Ultimately, it is their decision to make, whether they receive the full funds, or a partial one.

With these three options in place, it will increase productivity to the coveted one million dinar needed to build the wall and district for the refugees to take place.

Other notable, and varied solutions...

-Take a loan from the city of Ba'zeel, increasing the amount of water we provide in tribute. It will hurt our own natural productivity and limit trade options with our neighbors.
-Sack Tlonsiyya and acquire their valuable materials to profit from, though varied interests of the Ash Desert will very likely wage war on us for doing so. Qa'im, Kha'esh, and other large, powerful cities.
-Increase our taxes regardless of population wants and desires, enlisting them forcibly to support the good cause of helping the refugees.
-Approach Il Modo, Tlonsiyya, Kha'esh, Qadira to take on the burden of the refugees until we have the infrastructure to host them, and provide whatever resource we can to alleviate the burden of hosting refugees.

Ultimately, there are plenty of varied and reasonable solutions, but we must express more urgency in handling this problem. Each day that passes by is a day that a refugee perishes from the storms, or succumbs to heat stroke, or worse. Let us rally beneath one effort, and find our victory to this solution, than prolonging our defeat.

Ariel Hysair

One_With_Nature

I extend my appreciation to Jordan for moderating and allowing this debate to go forward despite our scheduling issues.

As many already know the new district is something I have taken a personal interest in supporting and believe that its construction is of paramount importance, to our refugees as a means of shelter but also to help support our growing population.  It shall be grand undertaking and will require co-operation and effort from the entire well, but one that will also demonstrate what we are capable of achieving.

I have discussed this with many advisors and although I believe we are more then capable of generating the wealth required in a timely fashion to realise the construction of the new district, we may have to look abroad to secure initial funding to see initial constructions underway less we lose another six months, once committed we shall see it through.

Our primary focus in location should be that of security, the new district will house some of our most vulnerable people and they will need protecting not just by walls but those who are committed to defending our well. It is that reason I believe the Rose Gate is the most appropriate location for such, already guarded by the Cinquefoil Rose.

Construction must focus firstly upon defences and reinforcement, less our enemies take advantage, and then we can look to internal structure. These areas shall not be protected by the Shade so we must seek means as well to shield the district from the storms, by either working with the Tower to enhance the capabilities of such, or looking elsewhere such as Tllonysia to obtain Mills capable of holding back the storms.

The sand gate was considered for location, however right now I consider such a security threat to the well, poorly manned and easy to infiltrate with no immediate access to defenders. The incursion of THE SNORF was an example of this. Eventually the Sand Gate will provide an excellent place to expand to, but right now we over-stretch ourselves by trying to accommodate it, this should be reviewed as part of our defence enhancements.

All of this of course costs a great deal of dinar and my plans to enhance and bolster our coffers, something with which I am very experience at, shall take precedence as our top concerns can all be remedied by achieving a healthy and steady supply of dinar into our coffers. I will not detract from the question too much, but a few things I have highlighted to achieve such ends are raising taxes on our wealthiest, our merchants, securing trade deals with our neighbours and reclaiming the surplus waters we need of our supply to grow and trade.

I promise that if you elect me as your Legate the construction of such will be underway within my first term and if you honour me by choosing me to continue beyond that I will see the project through to fruition with the zeal and passion I show in all my works.

WriterX

The District that will be built should be located in the Sand District and protected by our trusted Garrison, the Fourth Legion, our Janissaries. Dedicated to the Crown princess Faziima, who has continued to bless us during my re-elections. A symbol of friendship with Baz'eel, a fountain with her likeness, to provide water to those in need who shall now live in the new District. Housing capable of keeping as many safe from the storms and raiders beyond as possible. A place to call home for the people.

Our funding is being gathered, we have crossed the mid-point and we are nearing the stage where works may begin soon. Whether it is in a month or two. We will gather the necessary funds. Over half of them already gathered through sensible spending and taxation.

Special schemes or plots are not necessary, for I am confident that if we are responsible, if we are wise, as Izdu would dictate for us to be, we can achieve our goal. To rush ahead is to invite accidents, or eventual disaster, and I'd rather see the Well at its strongest, capable of funding its works on its own, and not tied to outside forces or sources.

If others desire for us to become slaves, tied down by obligations, then they are free to choose such a path. But I believe we can, and shall achieve our goals on our own, proving to ourselves and others, that we, people of Ephia's Well are resourceful and determined enough to see anything achieved.