Calidor Tey`linson; Primal Elf

Started by Dhund, February 28, 2022, 06:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhund

So, Calidor was my attempt at doing something new, and trying to be more impactful than my normal characters.

An elven barbarian, I played Calidor using the motto of 'Primal, not primitive'.  My goal with his personality was an attempt to distill 'elf' down as much as I could. He loved swordcraft, challenges, dancing and the arts.

He also spoke in iambic pentameter for a long time, but I eventually dropped it because I just couldn't get the responses out fast enough while keeping it to the rhythm. I wish I had kept it consistent for his entire life.

I took a lot of inspiration from Rakan, from league of legends for shaping how he interacted with things. Loud, boisterous, and capable.

[hide='Key quotes]

"The humans call it battle. It's just a dance."

"Nothing important should be taken seriously."

"Consequences only matter if I don't get away."

"They will remember my name!"

[hide=And some lesser ones]

"My fellow travelers, you are all about to witness my majestic epicness! ... unless I get killed, but... probably not!"

"I can't wait to get in there. I don't know what I'm going to do, but I am going to get in there!"

"We are seen dancing and thought insane - by those who can't hear the music."

"They've never seen moves like mine."

"I dance because I'm free!"

"Humans claim it is theirs. They fence us away and cover it in refuse."

"Step up again, I'll slap you down again."
[/hide]
[/hide]

He was arrogant, flamboyant, and brutal. And strong enough (probably my strongest PC by far) to back up doing what he wanted to do.  And he was amazing fun to play, and I'm thankful for the groups that he was able to interact with, especially the other elves (and the adopted bearded elves), Regent Sunspyre, Inquisitor Malik, and so many others he ran into.

He had an odd religion that only rarely got questioned; all elven souls were shards of Tey'lin, the first elf, the goddess of the stars that was broken and shattered into pieces by T'chun in eons past. When an elf died, that divine spark would become a star, until it was reborn. In this faith, all elves were immortal, so he never truly mourned any of his lost companions. They were simply out of his reach for a time. And all elven blood were elves, no matter how distant the ancestor. He berated some of his fellow elves for referring to half elves like Wednesday as 'lesser', and to their credit, they followed his beliefs in that.

It was a fantastic change of experience to be the front line, and not the support. Playing someone that was unchained by social protocols, or standings. He was an elf, unwelcome in the Peerage, and spoke his mind. Or just dove to action.

He was one of the early elves to fall in with Gilthalas Wealdath, and join House Wealdath, which was something that grated on him IC, though he only ever mentioned it to a handful. A free spirit, the chains of obligation and oaths restricted him, and he did resent it, while thoroughly believing and working for the cause, taking it as a sacrifice he needed to make. He tried to steer Gilthalas to be a responsible leader, pulling him aside and rebuking him when others simply accepted it.

He also beat down Malik at the Moonspear tournament, which was fun.

Sadly, his doom came from two things, my OOC work schedule for a new job severely cutting my time, and leaving me exhausted, and living too long.

Calidor was a character that should have burnt bright, and gone out in a blaze of glory. Instead, he survived, from trying to stop Blacksmile's resurrection, avoiding the T'chun death event in duties name, to allying with Velstra to try to stop the Count at the walls of 92. And so, he kind of sputtered out, with his friends playing at times I couldn't, and falling behind in the Rings to reach the Wealdath goal, until I just couldn't find the drive to play him.

And the DM loot you're all waiting for....
[hide=Loot]
Didn't have any. Was all off the shelf gear.
[/hide]

<@Mort> Dhund is on the money, imo