Berzerker Rage drawbacks to apply during the rage.

Started by Egon the Monkey, October 06, 2020, 02:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Egon the Monkey

Since Barbs were being discussed on #main, I realised something about Berzerker Rage. This doesn't really have a downside, despite claiming one.

Quote from: Berserker Rage
Provides an additional +1d4 strength and constitution for the duration of the rage, rolled separately, but also induces a fatigue period for one turn after the rage which causes -2 strength, constitution, armor class, and will save.

If your enemy is still alive after 10-12 rounds of Big Strength Walloping, you've either lost anyway, or you're down to cleaning up the last couple of monsters. Rather than -2 STR after the fact, I suggest moving the penalties to occur during the rage. AC isn't a barbarian's real defence anyway, that's the big HP and DI. Which Berzerking does nothing to penalise.

Quote from: Berserker Rage, changed
Provides an additional +1d4 strength and constitution for the duration of the rage, rolled separately. Applies 5% vulnerability to all damage per bonus point of Strength, and a flat -2 AC and saves
Applying the penalties while you have it active means it's more akin to a combat mode. You're trading your barbarian DI for more HP, AB and damage in an unpredictable manner, and the save penalty cances out the +Fort and +Will benefits of raging. You're going to dish out more damage but also take more, as you're more vulnerable to damage spells too.  The +CON will help you soak that extra damage but you might have a bad day when it runs out.

Damien

Does anyone even use this rage? I didn't and  don't think its anything special.

To confirm also, without loot, ac is totally still part of your defence as a barb. Even with loot you better hope you have enough stoneskin potions for real fights.

Frankly I've seen better, more balanced, crushers in the form of clerics, fighter multis and rangers. Barbs are just easy and crush noobs so get the most flack.

Electrohydra

I use it on my barb. It's good but the downside is not completely negligible.  People can run away from you, and in PvE I often find myself poping rage against a boss, but the rage ends before I finished cleaning out the minions that  accomany said boss.

Egon the Monkey

This one stands out as it's framed as having a downside, but smart usage means you will rarely have to deal with that downside.  Compare it to the 1dCHA rage. On the cookie cutter 14 CHA barb you're getting 1-2 from that. This is twice as good, with a downside you can, as Electrohydra says, generally avoid. The debuff only lasts a minute, so it is only a problem in an ongoing fight. I was chatting with a player who used to wreck with this and Bloodcrazed Rage, and went "Yeah that sounds like a lot of short term wallop to put someone on the floor or clear out the big problems"

People can't run away from you in duels, and if they're running away to escape, a minute of debuffs won't ruin you. Not least as you can probably rage again and deal with all of it except the will loss. If the penalty applies while you use it, it's a tradeoff. If it applies for long enough to impact your next fight, it's a tradeoff. Obviously -STR and CON would be a silly penalty for a power that gives +STR and CON, but having Berzerker rage impact on your Barbarian DI would fit. And making the penalty linked to how well you roll on the bonus means it's never a straight-up loss.